VOGONS

First post, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vast majority of DOS software only supports ISA sound cards...
however, there's a few programs with native support for newer hardware: PCI, PCIe, USB, and onboard chips acting as PCI devices...

Live! Module Player
Mpxplay
QuickView Pro - with external drivers

Anything else?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-10, 14:06:
Vast majority of DOS software only supports ISA sound cards... however, there's a few programs with native support for newer har […]
Show full quote

Vast majority of DOS software only supports ISA sound cards...
however, there's a few programs with native support for newer hardware: PCI, PCIe, USB, and onboard chips acting as PCI devices...

Live! Module Player
Mpxplay
QuickView Pro - with external drivers

Anything else?

SBEMU and VSBHDA

Reply 2 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's the JUDAS audio / mixing / tracker playback library, which has support for SB, GUS and Intel ICH AC97 audio codecs:

https://github.com/volkertb/JUDAS

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mplayer a linux cli movie player DOS port.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some DOS software that I know that supports post-ISA sound devices:

• QDOS, Q2DOS and Hammer of Thyrion source ports for Quake, Quake II and Hexen II respectively, by using libraries from MPXPLAY.
  • DOSSound by Georg Potthast.
  • Tangentially related and not possible in pure DOS, but Open Cubic Player comes with a sound driver that uses DirectX API which can be used when running within a Windows 9x environment.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DirectSound for QuickBasic allows QB45 DOS programs to access Windows' DirectSound API (DX3 or higher) l.
So it's an hardware-independent sound library for DOS programs, essentially. 😉

http://www.antonis.de/qbdown/qblibs.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-05-10, 14:32:

SBEMU and VSBHDA

Well, that would also include all the ISA SB emulation software bundled with many PCI sound cards...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-10, 20:40:
darry wrote on 2024-05-10, 14:32:

SBEMU and VSBHDA

Well, that would also include all the ISA SB emulation software bundled with many PCI sound cards...

Almost all the ISA SB emulation software would not qualify as "supporting newer hardware" if the hardware in question (and its bundled software) is at least 20 years old, IMHO. To be fair, you did write [1], but as I understand it now, you apparently meant only actual end user applications (games, audio players, etc) rather than TSRs/drivers/emulation layers/middlewares.

[1]

with native support for newer hardware: PCI, PCIe, USB, and onboard chips acting as PCI devices...

Reply 8 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HXDOS to run Win32 programs in DOS.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.