VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just put together a Win98SE PC and the AWE64 Value I used is incredibly noisy with headphones. Fiddling with the mixer and games tends to make me believe the MIDI output is relatively clean but the Wave output has an annoying background hiss that doesn't go away. Is this normal? Never owned an AWE64 Value before but I don't recall this much noise with my SB16 (or I wasn't as picky back then..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64 Value has two outputs, if I recall: line-out (non-amplified) and headphone out (amplified). Or is it the other way around? Never mind. Did you try both of them?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

AWE64 Value has two outputs, if I recall: line-out (non-amplified) and headphone out (amplified). Or is it the other way around? Never mind. Did you try both of them?

Line Out and Spkr Out - no I tried Spkr Out only, I doubt Line Out has enough power to drive my headphones.. That said, Speaker Out is Loud As Hell (TM).. so worth a shot.

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Line Out is a lot cleaner thabks. It sounds like there is a shitty amp on spkr out that also amps ubfiltered noise.

Hiw and where do I apply thr IPA? Inside thr jack connectors? With what? How do I clean the residue? Wouldnt a contact cleaner spray be just better?

Reply 5 of 5, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something very thin and absorbent. And get the 91% IPA (Or 99% if you can find it) that doesn't really have as much of the residue, and is very useful for cleaning.

And that's why I said IPA is useful in a pinch, of course contact cleaner would be better.

And yes, inside the connectors. If you want you can pour a bowl of IPA and dip it in there... or just use contact cleaner.