VOGONS

Roland SC-88 versus SC-88 Pro?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So there isn't a global Instrument Map on the SC-D70?
Yes we can select a Map with LSB per instrument or patch, but will it remain after a Sysex GS reset?
If this indeed the case and there is no global map function that remains after a GM/GS reset, then Roland did a major poo-poo with the SC-D70.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 21 of 33, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote:

Congrats! You should enjoy it.

Yeah, sound map issue may be a bit annoying. Do you have a MIDI sequencer? If so, it should be very easy. See pages 34 and so in the manual.

Oh yes, I've got various options at my disposal for sending MIDI commands so that's not an issue. I was just more surprised that they didn't include some sort of interface ability to switch soundmaps. With the number of buttons and knobs it has, I figure they could've programmed a combination to accomplish that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 22 of 33, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Feel free to check out my SCPlayer code for how I handle their 8820 software library. Basically, it watches for all known reset commands that it would accept, and follows them up with a reset to the mode the user wants. If the user has requested a non-default mode, it will also block LSB limiter commands so that it can't be switched out of the GS mode it's currently running in. Possibly way more overkill than the plugin they bundle it with does with its mode controls.

Reply 23 of 33, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual of SC-D70 calls for INST MAP setting in LSB 0, but INST MAP isn't anywhere to be found?
Can the INST MAP setting be accessed by any other way besides a dedicated button on the front panel?
Can someone please confirm.

Reply 24 of 33, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took delivery of the SC-D70.

In addition to lacking an interface method for switching sound maps, it has another little quirk when it comes to MIDI input. In order to enable MIDI input via standard MIDI cables, the device has to be powered on while simultaneously pressing a knob. This is one of those things that cries out for a toggle switch on the back, but ce la vie. Evidently this was first-and-foremost designed to be a USB device.

When I first listened to some demos of the SC-D70/8820, I had hoped it would basically replicate the JV-1010 except without the JV's annoying latency issues. But having both units running side-by-side, I can hear that the SC-D70 is it's own unique sound, definitely not the same as the JV-1010. Looks like I'll be hanging onto my JV a little while longer. 😒

Sound-wise it's not bad. It seems to default to the 8820 map, at least in comparing to other 8820 recordings online. I'm fine with that since I honestly don't see myself using the SC-55/SC-88 maps, already owning separate modules for those. I haven't done side-by-side comparisons with either the 55 or 88 yet, but I will at some point. I did play through a few levels of Heretic with the SC-D70 and it seemed to perform well on that soundtrack. Look forward to trying it out on some more soundtracks.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 25 of 33, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

probably the biggest sound difference is that the jv1010 is 32khz, the d70 is 44/48khz. they have different rom sample size, so.. of course its going to sound different.

the jv1010 has a 24-bit AK4324 DAC, the D70 I believe uses a 24bit PCM1716 and does 8 times oversampling.

character is good 😀 I often play two of my modules at the same time to get them combining the different sound.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 26 of 33, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like how the SC8850 sounds. It has that characterstic 'this sounds like something that could be in a studio or used to produce a track' sound in most patches that set it apart from most of the earlier and cheesier sounding SoundCanvas modules. It's hard to describe. The pianos are awesome too

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 27 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I still think the Roland Integra-7 is the ultimate Roland rompler because it contains all the sounds of previous modules, although obviously the actual electronics (DAC but also output stages) are different so it sounds different.

Reply 28 of 33, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Personally I still think the Roland Integra-7 is the ultimate Roland rompler because it contains all the sounds of previous modules,

No it's not, it has GM map with SC-55 sounds when you send a GM Reset SysEx with MSB 0 and LSB 0, but that's all it has with the sound canvas sounds.
I really like to hear Doom E1M1 on the Integra-7 with its native map.

Reply 29 of 33, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James, I think he meant pro modules, not the consumer line.

I have an Integra but I will likely never use it for gaming.

probably the biggest sound difference is that the jv1010 is 32khz, the d70 is 44/48khz. they have different rom sample size, so.. of course its going to sound different.

I know the 8850 is 32kHz, is the D70 actually 44/48 kHz or are its internal samples 32 and then resampled to the outputs (basically, same as JV-1010)?

As for SC-D70 vs JV-1010, similar but different. The SC-8850 and related are cut down versions of the XV and JV line. They have samples from those modules, cut down of course. I think there is an amazing array of sounds really. However, some instrument categories are sadly lacking. Electric guitars, some synth sounds, some ethnic sounds, pianos (in my opinion), and a couple other categories are quite strong in the XV/JV line but missing here. But for gaming, it is a beast and you will love it.

The SC-D70 works as a mixer/sound card also, which is very useful.

Reply 30 of 33, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote:

James, I think he meant pro modules, not the consumer line.

I have an Integra but I will likely never use it for gaming.

How is the GM performance on it? I've always been intrigued by the Integra as a rompler, but the GM examples I've heard haven't sounded that great to me.

I've also wondered how it compares to the XV-5080, which I can and do use as a GM module (it works well for orchestral stuff I find).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 31 of 33, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:

Raw GM soundset seems to be different, at least for some instruments. I've noticed the JV-1010 GM set seems to have a mix of SC-55, SC-88 and other sounds (maybe from other modules)?

character is good 😀 I often play two of my modules at the same time to get them combining the different sound.

Hmmm, I've combined audio from different MIDI modules but never real-time. I should hook up a mixer and see what that sounds like. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 32 of 33, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

Hmmm, I've combined audio from different MIDI modules but never real-time. I should hook up a mixer and see what that sounds like. 😀

it sounds much larger, fuller. mixing two or more midi modules (brands!) gives a richer sound. I run my SC88VL + EMU Sound Engine together into my mixer. Sounds great!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 33 of 33, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is the GM performance on it? I've always been intrigued by the Integra as a rompler, but the GM examples I've heard haven't sounded that great to me.

I've also wondered how it compares to the XV-5080, which I can and do use as a GM module (it works well for orchestral stuff I find).

There's multiple GM options. Default is GM2, and in the virtual expansion slots you can load a 256MB advanced GM soundset, forget what they call it. Both have variation tones.

The XV-5080 is onboard the I7, which is pretty amazing. Different architecture so it doesn't sound identical, but sounds wonderful to me. The best thing is that all channels have MFX, so the Integra 7 automatically applies FX to the instruments, like the speakers/amps to the electric guitars.

The Supernatural sounds in the I7 are amazing, so a lot of the XV sounds will never be used by me. But the XV has a very broad church of sounds, which complements the 'ultimate rompler' style of the I7 very well.