OPL2LPT

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby SteveC » 2017-12-02 @ 09:56

Just run it on the PS/2 P70 and I get:

Parallel port(s) found: 1
LPT1 3BCH standard (output-only)


My old Thinkpad says bi-directional
SteveC
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2017-11-25 @ 22:05
Location: Rayleigh, Essex, UK

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby SteveC » 2017-12-02 @ 10:02

I wonder if it's some DOS config that's in effect here. If I boot up with no config.sys/autoexec.bat (DOS 6.2 on the HDD or a Windows 98 boot disk) I get no sound at all. The LPTDTECT shows the same. If I boot with config.sys/autoexec.bat (himem, emm386 blah blah) then I get the screeching noise. The Thinkpad works fine with the boot disk with or without config.sys/autoexec.bat
SteveC
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2017-11-25 @ 22:05
Location: Rayleigh, Essex, UK

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-12-02 @ 13:08

Is the opl2lpt quiet, if you press the reset button on the PCB, after booting ?
dreamblaster
Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby 640K!enough » 2017-12-02 @ 15:11

SteveC wrote:Just run it on the PS/2 P70 and I get:

Parallel port(s) found: 1
LPT1 3BCH standard (output-only)


I'm a little surprised that the first parallel port is configured to use 3BCH; I thought that was only on even older machines. I looked at the source code to the TSR early on, but don't remember if it supports that configuration.

With it being an output-only port, my theories about the problems being related to parallel port mode/type are definitely not relevant.
640K!enough
Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 2017-5-11 @ 17:52
Location: Canada

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby Paralel » 2017-12-02 @ 15:59

Just like SCSI, LPT implementation seems to be quite variable, more than it should be by "standard"
Paralel
Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2013-4-08 @ 19:49

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-12-02 @ 17:11

I played around with virtualbox, OPL2LPT, and a pci express parallel port card, on my core i7 win 7 64 bit PC.
I documented the steps in attached pdf.
Yeah real warm OPL2 music from the adlib jukebox, can run on the background, while working on my windows PC :happy: :happy: :happy:
Attachments
VIRTUALBOX_OPL2LPT.pdf
Using OPL2LPT with VirtualBox
(335.63 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
dreamblaster
Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby SteveC » 2017-12-02 @ 17:20

640K!enough wrote:
SteveC wrote:Just run it on the PS/2 P70 and I get:

Parallel port(s) found: 1
LPT1 3BCH standard (output-only)


I'm a little surprised that the first parallel port is configured to use 3BCH; I thought that was only on even older machines. I looked at the source code to the TSR early on, but don't remember if it supports that configuration.

With it being an output-only port, my theories about the problems being related to parallel port mode/type are definitely not relevant.


OK I can change the address - PARALLEL_2 = 378H and PARALLEL_3 = 278H
Parallel 2 = silence
Parallel 3 = same noise as before
Disabled = no lpt port detected

Here's a video of the sounds I hear https://photos.app.goo.gl/xSHkW2LyEUzKdZcQ2
SteveC
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2017-11-25 @ 22:05
Location: Rayleigh, Essex, UK

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby QBiN » 2017-12-05 @ 03:30

Has anyone attempted patching any of the LucasArts games using ADPATCH? I'm wondering, because along with the Sierra/SCI games, many of these games were squarely in the 286 era. The 386 requirement of ADLIPT misses the mark for 286's that would otherwise benefit greatly from the OPL2LPT.
User avatar
QBiN
Member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 2005-1-14 @ 19:18
Location: Mêlée Island

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby matze79 » 2017-12-06 @ 05:56

Hm i will test it on PS/2 Model 40SX :) Report back later..
matze79
Oldbie
 
Posts: 742
Joined: 2014-12-12 @ 14:25
Location: Germany, Frankonia

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby jaZz_KCS » 2017-12-06 @ 09:58

matze79 wrote:Hm i will test it on PS/2 Model 40SX :) Report back later..


Already confirmed to be working on PS/2 Model L40SX :)
User avatar
jaZz_KCS
Newbie
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 2017-8-10 @ 11:43

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby DistWave » 2017-12-07 @ 12:20

Just assembled the kit and it's working like a charm on my PS/2 Model 80 using the TSR.
DistWave
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2011-8-15 @ 18:07
Location: Spain

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby SteveC » 2017-12-07 @ 18:44

Now that's really bugging me - the model 80 and 70 should be pretty similar
SteveC
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2017-11-25 @ 22:05
Location: Rayleigh, Essex, UK

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby derSammler » 2017-12-07 @ 20:00

Got the missing IC for my OPL2LPT today, soldered it in and did a quick test with my P133: works great so far. :)

I encounter one problem however: with the OPL2LPT connected and powered (from USB), I can no longer boot Windows 98 SE. It just completely freezes the system at the boot screen.
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby Scali » 2017-12-07 @ 20:35

I just built mine, tested it with my Celeron Northwood laptop with my custom-hacked DOSBox, and it works!
Scali
l33t
 
Posts: 2923
Joined: 2014-12-13 @ 14:24

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby jaZz_KCS » 2017-12-07 @ 23:02

We need more ppl making patches for ADPATCH so more games can be run on 386 machines and the like without lagging 4x more than it feels without having to load the TSR and using ADPATCH instead.

God of Thunder and others come to mind that could drastically benefit from having it patched like Keen and Wolf3d in order to achieve more performance.

I sadly cannot code, otherwise I would spent a lot of time making more games compatible with the patch alternative, as it seems to make quite the difference on older systems this was meant for as in around the 386 16-30Mhz area.
User avatar
jaZz_KCS
Newbie
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 2017-8-10 @ 11:43

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby derSammler » 2017-12-08 @ 08:48

derSammler wrote:I encounter one problem however: with the OPL2LPT connected and powered (from USB), I can no longer boot Windows 98 SE. It just completely freezes the system at the boot screen.

Ok, seems like this is unrelated to OPL2LPT. It now happens without it as well. :exclamation:
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-12-08 @ 16:41

Scali wrote:I just built mine, tested it with my Celeron Northwood laptop with my custom-hacked DOSBox, and it works!


"custom-hacked DOSBox" !! Tell us more :cool:
dreamblaster
Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby snow9 » 2017-12-10 @ 16:22

Hi everyone, I just made an account here to post about my OPL2LPT which recently came in the mail. I can confirm that it is working on my PCjr, which is awesome because that computer was never intended to have Adlib support or even a parallel port really.

The first game I tried was Fun Seeker's Guide, but that one gave me the following error: "0x89/3 not found." So I tried Colonel's Bequest instead and the Adlib support works beautifully on that game. I'd be playing it right now except that for some reason I can't get the PCjr graphics to load. CGA works fine and even Tandy 1000 loads in a garbled state, but when I select PCjr it just stops loading for some reason. I actually had the same issue when I tried testing Fun Seeker's Guide before patching it. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
snow9
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2017-12-10 @ 16:07

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby Great Hierophant » 2017-12-11 @ 00:31

snow9 wrote:Hi everyone, I just made an account here to post about my OPL2LPT which recently came in the mail. I can confirm that it is working on my PCjr, which is awesome because that computer was never intended to have Adlib support or even a parallel port really.

The first game I tried was Fun Seeker's Guide, but that one gave me the following error: "0x89/3 not found." So I tried Colonel's Bequest instead and the Adlib support works beautifully on that game. I'd be playing it right now except that for some reason I can't get the PCjr graphics to load. CGA works fine and even Tandy 1000 loads in a garbled state, but when I select PCjr it just stops loading for some reason. I actually had the same issue when I tried testing Fun Seeker's Guide before patching it. Does anyone know what might be causing this?


This may more likely be a PCjr. issue than an OPL2LPT issue. I assume you have expanded your PCjr. to 640KB and loaded a memory manager to tell DOS that the PCjr. has 640KB free? You have to run the game with SIERRA.COM, not with SCIV.EXE.

How garbled are the Tandy graphics? If they appear as though only every other horizontal line is being drawn, then you can do the Tandy mod to restore the missing lines on many games.

I doubted that anyone would put up with the slowness of the PCjr. with Sierra's SCI titles for long.
User avatar
Great Hierophant
l33t
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2003-4-27 @ 08:20

Re: OPL2LPT

Postby dJOS » 2017-12-11 @ 03:48

dreamblaster wrote:1st prototype... (Still waiting for the yamaha chips to arrive)
DSCN0241.JPG


Looks Amazing!

I havent read every page of this topic yet so apologies if this has been asked, does this need a bi-directional LPT port?

I'd like to run one from my Tandy 1000 EX which isnt bi-directional.

PS, the physical interface is not an issue, I made these adapters so I could muck around with DB25 based gear.

Image
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
dJOS
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2017-5-10 @ 02:47

PreviousNext

Return to Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests