VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I moved my S1 onto my SB16 in a Win98SE machine. It plays MIDI music in MS-DOS Mode games fine, but not, for example, in Windows Media Player. I originally asked this in the DreamBlaster S2 thread and derSlammer advised I manually install the MPU-401 interface. I did, but it's giving me problems. I get a Code 24 (Device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed). Here's what I know:
-the Microsoft driver is installed (standard 98SE date of 4-23-1999.
-the device is installed at 0330-0331, IRQ10 with NO conflicts. I also tried IRQ3 (the only other available IRQ) with no difference.
-if I re-run Detect Hardware, but it doesn't find any additional hardware.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should already have the SB-16 MPU401 driver installed - it comes with the SB16 driver package , the windows "MPU 401" driver is meant for dedicated MPU cards like the Roland/Music Quest/HardMPU/etc ones.
So you need to remove that stand-alone driver and investigate the SB16 MPU401 one. Are you sure you selected the correct output for the S1? Windows can map midi signals to several places so you need to select the correct one to get the data going to the wavetable header. I think it's called "SB16 MIDI IN" or something like that...

You can easily check with Tom's MIDI Player: http://www.grandgent.com/tom/projects/tmidi , use the MIDI OUT drop down menu and see what option makes the S1 work - then put that in the windows midi mapper as the default device.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, but the version of tmidi on there is compiled for newer versions of Windows, so it won't run in 98SE. 🙁

Regarding the SB16 driver package, I'm using the MS driver bundled in 98SE, which did not add the MPU-401 driver. Did not install anything from Creative. I guess I need to go that route.

Reply 3 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sorry I wasn't aware of that change , use the attached version here then, it works OK

3IR00UXl.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    tmidi_win9x.zip
    File size
    61.16 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by keropi on 2018-01-21, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you, sir. I'll look into an SB16 install CD as well.

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe the install cd has really old drivers?
get the latest one from creative: support.creative.com/Products/ProductDe ... tegoryID:1

Reply 6 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative site is slow! 🤣. Like minutes to load a page. And the driver dates are older than the MS ones built into 98SE. I'll report back when I test the creative drivers. Hopefully they pick up the MPU401 interface.

Reply 7 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

You should already have the SB-16 MPU401 driver installed - it comes with the SB16 driver package , the windows "MPU 401" driver is meant for dedicated MPU cards like the Roland/Music Quest/HardMPU/etc ones.
So you need to remove that stand-alone driver and investigate the SB16 MPU401 one. Are you sure you selected the correct output for the S1? Windows can map midi signals to several places so you need to select the correct one to get the data going to the wavetable header. I think it's called "SB16 MIDI IN" or something like that...

Just replaced the MS driver with the Creative Labs one and still no MPU401 driver from Creative. 🙁 The card in question is a CT2800 (Vibra with Yamaha OPL chip). Not sure if that makes a difference. I tried completely removing the MS driver and manually adding the CL driver via Have Disk. In the list of available devices that show during the Have Disk process, SB16 MPU401 is not there.

Reply 8 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird stuff.. maybe you need the DOS programs to initialize the card first on boot and then windows will pick up the devices? Worth a shot IMHO

Reply 9 of 9, by WarsawPact1955

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just followed the exact trail of tears with a CT-2800 that @clueless1 did and arrived at the same ending - no dice. Swapping out the Windows 98SE SSD with one that has MS-DOS 6.22+Windows 3.11 WFW with Creative Labs SB16 drivers (both run on the same computer) allows me to direct MIDI to the DreamBlaster S2 without issue within Windows 3.11 WFW. Using the Creative driver on Windows 98SE seems to display the port 330 MIDI Out device in the Multimedia Configuration but when selected there is nothing but silence during playback. Has anyone made a breakthrough in the last two years?

I have been reticent to use the DOS drivers on Windows 98SE, but if there are no magic solutions I will try that...