VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I just got my first Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card and I tried to install the software from the Vogons driver library using "Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16" as the folder with the driver but when I use the install.exe in Dos 6.2 I get a black screen and nothing more but when I read the readme.txt I saw:

"This sub-directory contains MVSOUND.SYS, version 3.24. MVSOUND.SYS is your Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum low-level device driver. It is used to activate your
Pro Audio Spectrum sound card in DOS. The MVSOUND.SYS in this directory is to be used only as an update to older MVSOUND.SYS dated older than 9/17/93"

I guess I cant install the driver without the MVSOUND.SYS being loaded first in Config.sys if so how do I do that?

If I run PAS.EXE for the mixer I get the message "No MVSOUND.SYS driver found; check config.sys, or run the PAS INSTALL.EXE."

The card I have has the SCSI port for a CDRom and has the numbers: 650-0097-05-(0 or D) under the words Pro Audio 16 its hard to read it from wear and tear

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhm, not sure what the issue is, but installing a PAS16 is quite simple.
Just run the setup program.

Later on, you can copy the new MVSOUND file into the PAS16 directory, if you wish.
(Or if the setup files are not compressed, you can owerwrite the old file by the new one.)

Oh, and don't load EMM386.

Drivers
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=40

PS: Which kind of PAS16 (FCC ID ?) and computer are you using ?

Edit. Edited.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a Pentium 3 500MHz with Dos 6.2 (not 6.22) with an AGP video card, 128Mb Ram and I have enabled the cache on the internal and external CPU in the Bios. I'm using the 3rd one from the top from the link you gave and it does not have a setup program but it has an install program and that is the one that gives me a black screen but from this site: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com.au/2017/0 … -crown-pro.html

half way down it says to use "DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS d:5 i:7 s:1,220,1,5 m:0 j:1" so i'm going to be trying these settings and I will reply with what works and what doesn't.

Dont load EMM386 why do you say that Jo22?
The PAS I have has "FCC ID: IXW-SCSI 1-1" and the biggest chip has MV (logo) Spectrum MVD101D

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GabrielKnight123 wrote:
I'm using a Pentium 3 500MHz with Dos 6.2 (not 6.22) with an AGP video card, 128Mb Ram and I have enabled the cache on the inter […]
Show full quote

I'm using a Pentium 3 500MHz with Dos 6.2 (not 6.22) with an AGP video card, 128Mb Ram and I have enabled
the cache on the internal and external CPU in the Bios. I'm using the 3rd one from the top from the link you gave and it does not have a
setup program but it has an install program and that is the one that gives me a black screen but from this site:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com.au/2017/0 … -crown-pro.html

Thanks for the specs! 😀 It's quite faster than what I had back then (286).
- Perhaps there's some issue with newer machines that I've never encountered.
PAS16 was made when 386/486 were still the norm.

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

half way down it says to use "DEVICE=C:\PAS16\MVSOUND.SYS d:5 i:7 s:1,220,1,5 m:0 j:1"
so i'm going to be trying these settings and I will reply with what works and what doesn't.

These settings will tell the card to use :
DMA 5, IRQ7
Port 220h, DMA1, IRQ5 (SB1.5/SB2.0 emulation)
MIDI disabled, Joystick port enabled
(Port 388h is always used for FM synth and PAS16)

Default settings: Re: Media Vision Pro Audio Studio 16 strange behavior

Make sure the BIOS is set to "legacy ISA" for those IRQs/DMAs.

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Dont load EMM386 why do you say that Jo22?

Because EMM386 is the #1 cause for compatibility issues.
And because the last time I checked, my PAS16 did not work when I loaded it on my Pentium 133. 😉

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

The PAS I have has "FCC ID: IXW-SCSI 1-1" and the biggest chip has MV (logo) Spectrum MVD101D

Ah, okay. So it's not one of these Logitech cards (ixw-pas16ll; same basic hardware, but different ID -
some early MediaVision drivers refused to work with it. They told you to use Logitech drivers.)

Edit: PAS16 is one of the "few" ISA card that require a -5v line. Please make sure your ATX PSU provides -5v.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had better luck with the 'Studio' installer package for PAS16s, it's also on Vogon Drivers.

In saying that I've never tried to install one in a machine that fast.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 9, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok guys I found some strange things, first off if I use my AGP video card it makes some programs just go to a black screen even Diagnose for sound blaster so I popped a PCI S3 Virge in and now I can use the install program for the PAS. Once I installed the PAS drivers and got it setup the Pentium 3 500MHz does not like the PAS, I get garbled music in Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis but if I turn off the internal cache on the CPU it fixes it but the voice gets cut off after a second or two very similar to Day of the tentacle but I have that game working fine with the cd fix, I have noticed there is less popping sounds in Gabriel Knight 1 than other sound blasters I have tried so I will keep this card for a 486 PC that I will build one day but from what I have experienced from this card it is pretty good for music and voice but I have not tried it with my SC55, that will be used with my AWE64. Now that I remember what Jo22 said about EMM386 I will disable it to see if it fixes anything and then post back.

Reply 8 of 9, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

those fuckers from mediavision
i will never forget them

it was about 1994 i think , bought a sony cdrom kit with a PAS
the fuckers printed on the manual the autoexec and config commands you had to put on, and they included a "/" instead of a "\"

could not use the kit for months, and by luck we modified the files and started working.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was a typo in the handbook probably. I just used the installer.

//My video channel//