VOGONS

Reply 1780 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Industrial PC (EPSON IM-425) as Retro Gaming Device

MS-Dos 5.0 plain or FreeDOS, both fail.
32Mb RAM, 486DX2 50Mhz, only ARGUS ISA Card is installed.
its almost the same Machine in the link above, only CPU is different.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1781 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems one of the channels is not working.
I'm only getting output on One Side, everything is correctly connected to the InterWave IC, checked everything according to the schematic.
The 3W Amplifier works. I can hear the static noise on the Earbud.

argus2.jpg
Filename
argus2.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
argus1.jpg
Filename
argus1.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 1782 of 3172, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

With the standard ROM, yes. As the development and testing of the ROM module and associated software progresses, there will be options.

I see. I thought it was possible to load the RAM 4MB GM Soundfile. Anyhow I can live with the ROM and I will try some *.pat files.
Looking forward to the ROM module for the future.

@shock__ , @640K!enough: awesome work.

Reply 1783 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Interwave IC has damage, maybe ESD...

It only outputs one Channel, i checked everything twice.
There is simply no signal from the Interwave. 🙁

Reply 1784 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have finally managed to assemble my card. We've seen enough of these things already, but since mine is a little different, here is the obligatory picture of the assembled card:

Assembled ARGUS Prototype.jpg
Filename
Assembled ARGUS Prototype.jpg
File size
509.46 KiB
Views
File license

Something else that is new to this prototype; the full PCB sandwich:

ARGUS Prototype With Carrier Board.jpg
Filename
ARGUS Prototype With Carrier Board.jpg
File size
502.46 KiB
Views
File license

With a few minor hiccups along the way (most of them my fault), the card works fine, for the most part. I haven't done any extensive listening tests yet, but for a two-layer board, the sound produced is surprisingly clear. I'd say better than the Gravis board with the older-generation InterWave, though the fact that I haven't replaced any capacitors may have something to do with that.

So far, the ROM carrier board has proven a little problematic. It's unclear as yet whether that has something to do with my substitution of the cheaper AHC373s for the F373s, but I don't expect it should be a problem. Another possible suspect is the model of 44-pin receptacles I installed. It could be that they don't make firm contact with the pin header on the carrier board. Software is usually able to read something, but not consistently, and not without corruption at some point. I may also just need to flush any residual flux out of the receptacles and clean the board; thankfully, it's a non-flammable, non-conductive formulation this time. I'll continue investigating as time and my budget permit; more news and commentary to follow.

Reply 1785 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have I already said how much I love this thread? Time to say it once again I guess!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 1786 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ROMs I ordered came today so now I have everything I need to build my card.

Hopefully will be able to work on it this week.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1788 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's nowhere near final, of course. One problem is that this configuration obstructs at least one neighbouring slot.

The idea behind this design was that I could use the same ROM modules as on the Gravis board, so that I could be sure that that aspect of the design works, and can verify that the flash chips were programmed successfully, with a valid ROM image. That turned out to be really handy, since it isn't yet working, and this allows me to immediately eliminate some possibilities.

When I get to the final design, it should be a single, smaller board that will allow the 90º SIMM sockets and use of the neighbouring slot. It should also allow for capacities of up to 16 MiB, if all goes according to plan.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2018-03-23, 23:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1789 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've found and fixed the problem I was having with the ROM. It turns out that, despite being soldered down, one of the pins seems to have been slightly out of shape, and wasn't making proper contact within the receptacle. I re-heated it, and gave it a gentle nudge with the tip of the iron, and now the ROM is detected. It's still not as consistent as I'd like, so there may be another such pin.

I have already tried the old 2 MiB bank I created a while ago, as well as one of the 4 MiB banks. Both were detected and worked as expected. So far, it seems there are no problems with using the AHC373s as a substitute for the F373s.

Soon it will be time to test a more recent 8 MiB bank, once everything is a little more stable.

Reply 1792 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

good news btw: my IW ROms from UTsource came this week and i soldered them today, and TAAADAAA ! It works. At least the MD5sum is correct, now i have to get some sound out of it. using duke3d and darkforces setup to test sound.
edit: no soundouput for MUSIC with GUS set up ....

Last edited by Phreeze on 2018-03-25, 08:22. Edited 1 time in total.

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1793 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So glad to see this project alive and well.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1794 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally, after a good deal of fiddling with the receptacles and re-soldering, the ROM module sandwich is working reliably. There is still a problem with the instrument map that causes the percussion to produce garbage, rather than proper playback, but only on bank 0. The other percussion banks seem to be fine. I'll have to look into that a little more before being able to properly test the 8 MiB bank. Other than the remaining problem, it looks promising.

Reply 1795 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

good news btw: my IW ROms from UTsource came this week and i soldered them today, and TAAADAAA ! It works. At least the MD5sum is correct, now i have to get some sound out of it. using duke3d and darkforces setup to test sound.
edit: no soundouput for MUSIC with GUS set up ....

Do those titles explicitly feature InterWave support, or just regular (GF1) GUS support? If it's just GF1 support, did you install the 5.6 MiB .PAT set from the CD (via SETRAM.EXE)?

Reply 1796 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no. because i have no clue what to do. I only own a gus classic where just the drivers are loaded and it's good to go 😀 will try tomorrow or later if I'm motivated

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1797 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I am also interested on that 5.6mb .PAT set since I also only have a GUS Classic , been too busy lately to mess seriously with ARGUS .
Is that .PAT set something like "pro patch lite" we have on the Classic?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1798 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 5.6 MiB .PAT set is the original UltraSound 16-bit patch set. It is available on the GUS PnP installation CD as SETRAM.EXE (in the SETUP sub-directory, I think). It belongs in the MIDI sub-directory of your installation (so \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI) by default, and will be used when you install software that has GF1 support.

You can get other .PAT instrument sets, like Pro Patches Lite (a.k.a. PPLT) or Pro Patches 3.0 from other sources, but finding complete bundles without corruption can be a challenge.

These sets can also be assembled into an FFF/DAT bank, or written to a ROM. That is what I have been doing with the PPLT set, which still needs some work.

In any case, you should be able to do some comparative testing of your own soon enough. 😉