VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All those synths seem made for 7 and up. Besides a SB Live, was there anything for that..... "fast" W9X PC around?

by OPL3 emulation I do mean reading from a port like as if it were real but pumping some NukedOPL through the ES1371-3. Pure DOS need not apply.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be interesting to do...

You want to play Games from a Win9x DOS box and have a software emulated OPL3 and seen as a regular OPL3 synth to games, correct?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So basically, you would have to have an OPL3 emulator that converts to WAV in real time and then plays it out through the sound card.

Anybody know if you can have a DOS game running in Windows 9x outputting sound to a sound card and also have a Windows program playing a wav file to the sound card at the same time?

Also, why not just use a Yamaha YMF PCI sound card for the OPL3? The OPL3 will work in real DOS mode regardless of whether or not the board supports DDMA or DSDMA since it only uses the I/O port for the OPL3

And that way you also get support in Win9x for the built in hardware MIDI synth on the Yamaha card.

And the Yamaha card also supports the legacy sound stuff for DOS games through Windows 9x.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm.. Sorry, no idea. Back in time some Win9x soundcards provided "SB Pro" (+FM) compatibility through a VXD only.
These soundcards had no native DOS support and required the games to run in a DOS box in Windows in order to be played with sound/music.
Maybe these VXDs are not that hardware-dependand and might work with other soundcards, too.
In theory, they should also provide OPL compatibility from within Win32s programs, if they do port writes to 0x388h.
Anyway, I'm speaking under correction. I've never really looked into these things so closely.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Hm.. Sorry, no idea. Back in time some Win9x soundcards provided "SB Pro" (+FM) compatibility through a VXD only. These soundcar […]
Show full quote

Hm.. Sorry, no idea. Back in time some Win9x soundcards provided "SB Pro" (+FM) compatibility through a VXD only.
These soundcards had no native DOS support and required the games to run in a DOS box in Windows in order to be played with sound/music.
Maybe these VXDs are not that hardware-dependand and might work with other soundcards, too.
In theory, they should also provide OPL compatibility from within Win32s programs, if they do port writes to 0x388h.
Anyway, I'm speaking under correction. I've never really looked into these things so closely.

This is true and resides in the Windows 9x install disks (not sure about Me) using SBEMUL.SYS as a Sound Blaster Emulation driver.

There is also VDMSound for Windows 9x though it was never post-alpha afaict.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.