VOGONS

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps the same issue as in this thread but didn't want to hijack it:

High DMA Woes (GUS, SB16, etc)

I built a DOS/Win 3.11 system around a Cyrix MediaGXM board. The mainboard has a legacy sound option (Cyrix XpressAudio based) in the BIOS where you can set the address, MPU address, IRQ, DMA and High DMA. I've set it to 220, 5, 1, 5 (forgot the MPU address) and it indeed works as a Sound Blaster 16 compatible device. I even installed the Creative Labs SB16 drivers, which work in both DOS and Windows 3.11. Mixer works, audio works in games, no issues there.

Then I installed a Gravis UltraSound ACE 1.1 in the system. Detection during the setup didn't went well, but I forced the install anyways. I configured it to 240, 7, 7, 7, 7, using 4.11 drivers, ULTRINIT 2.16 -DJ and it works... Until I use the Sound Blaster device, even as Adlib only (not using High DMA). After this, Doom, Blood, playmidi or any software that uses the GUS hangs or give an error that it can't find the UltraSound card. When I switch the configuration to 240, 3, 3, 7, 7 I have no issues, so it seems that utilizing the Sound Blaster device does something with the availability of the High DMA.

What is even stranger, on a fresh boot, with a game configured to use SB16 for FX and GUS for music, both cards using High DMA, there are no problems. It's after I exit the game and starting it again the GUS inits of games hang and other software hangs or can't find the GUS anymore.

What I've tried so far:

- No drivers for the SB16, SET BLASTER only;
- Switched between AUTO configure/manual configure legacy ISA/PCI in the BIOS for the needed resources;
- Tried all 16-bit / 8-bit IO recovery clocks to see if it makes a difference;
- Disabled/Enabled Adlib on the GUS ACE;
- Tried installing/using the GUS Extreme drivers/utilities but that doesn't work;
- Disabled as much hardware as possible (serial ports, parallel, USB controller, FD controller to free resources and avoid conflicts.

The system works with DMA 3, but I would like the GUS to use High DMA, as it seems just a bit faster when it does.

Some notes with this system which are probably unrelated:

- Both the Cyrix XpressAudio device and the GUS think they have MPU-401/joystick port, but it's missing on both physically;
- ULTRINIT 2.26 with the -DJ switch is needed to make the GUS work at all;
- Some ticker/timer/speed seems off; FT2 music playback is slow/inconsistent using the GUS, Jazz Jackrabbit music is very slow when using SB16 (it might be VGA related);

Anybody more ideas that I can try?

YouTube

Reply 2 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't use/select SB16 in any game, as apart from some ALS and CMI chips, no third-party card is really SB16 compatible. It may work in some games, but you really need to select SB Pro (2.0). Your high DMA problem is gone that, too, as the SB Pro has no high DMA.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's true. A few on-board chipsets may support some SB16 modes. I've got an old internet set-up box that I use for music (mod4win/impulse tracker).
It's based around the Cyrix MediaGX platform and does support Creative's SB16 drivers for Windows 3.1 (at least the version I use).
However, that's a very late chipset from the late 90s. And it was never available as a soundcard. 😐
So the point is still valid, I think. Only a few soundcards support SB16. And if they do, it's not complete.
For example, from what I remember, the ALS100+ supports SB16, but no High DMA (anymore). The older ALS100 did, but had other quirks.
The CMI cards or some Yamaha chips have better SB16 support, but are also PCI sometimes, which might limit compatibility even further.

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately that won't work, as something is bugged. In the BIOS I disabled High DMA for legacy audio, but I can still use it as a SB16 under DOS that way. After disabling everything in the BIOS except for the port (220) I can STILL use it as a SB16 under DOS.

But... it did kinda made a difference.With SET BLASTER configged for a SB PRO I was able to run Doom with the Gravis Ultrasound for music and Sound Blaster for FX, quit the game and run it again, which didn't work before. I was hopeful that by selecting/forcing SB Pro/SB I could circumvent the problem as you guys advised. But unfortunately when I ran Wolf3D, the GUS became unusable again. Also, I'm not able to go through the Blood audio setup either. Configuring FX (SB) and then music (GUS) makes it hang. Something in those games audio detection routines is causing High DMA issues for the GUS.

As a side note the Cyrix XpressAudio as a SB 16 seems to function pretty well. I was already prepared for the worst after reading SB16 clone/SB16 bug threads, but I'm pleasantly surprised with it. Might be the reason why Creative decided to sue Cyrix.

YouTube