VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: I changed the photo below, because other users could not see the original. End Edit.
Edit 2: Changed the image URL, to use Google photos embed code.End Edit.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this card's onboard wavetable ROM please? For instance,

1) What "chipset" is the ROM?
2) Where is it, on this card?
3) How big is it? Might it be 2MB?
4) Is it correct terminology to say that a wavetable ROM can be referred to as a "General Midi wavetable ROM"?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts people!
A5wofpYX0-xCK-vQGbq2wsQPwx3TC7kaZ8mcJbvWcrNRQ3ZvKizL4EU4XYnVwIxTN_uoySCpKyksGCe_oNbRIE7cM5gEiruLMIz5BaDOVY_OGpFnOJQDhYOf4Y8goTkBt5gZK-9cuA=w2400

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2018-08-17, 14:05. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

U205 is the CPU that controls the MIDI stuff, U207 is its program ROM and U211 its RAM.
U208 is the chip that actually makes the sound, U212 is the sample ROM but U204 I'm not totally sure what it is, possibly some memory or effects related thing if the thing has reverb capability.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS. Something's wrong with the image you embedded, it won't display over here...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The image displayed when I was first replying, it doesn't anymore.

The ROMs are manufactured by Macronix for Qsonic, the big MX is their logo. Yamaha things for example have ROMs made by Fujitsu, Macronix, Mitsubishi and others, it is a very common practice.

To know the size one needs to count up the address lines used. It most probably is not going to be larger than 2MB.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info! And thanks a lot for the heads-up about the photo. I'm a bit puzzled by the photo problem. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I put my photos on google photos on the net. For the photo I want to use, I use the "Copy Image Location" mouse right-click functionality. Then, using this long URL copied in to my clipboard, I paste it between the IMG tags for a Vogons post. It works OK for me, but then it can't be working correctly, because you can't see the image (now). (I wonder why it could be seen initially, but now it's gone?!) Is using the "Copy Image Location" mouse right-click functionality bad practice, and unreliable? Perhaps I need to display my images using a better technique? Thanks for any insight in to this matter!

Edit: I have changed the photo in the original post, to see if that helps, but I'm still puzzled by why I had the problem in the first place. End Edit.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2018-08-16, 06:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can upload pictures directly to the forum now and place them inline so they show up. They just have to be 2MB or smaller in size to do so. Easy enough to resize them with GIMP.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the info! And thanks a lot for the heads-up about the photo. I'm a bit puzzled by the photo problem. I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I put my photos on google photos on the net. For the photo I want to use, I use the "Copy Image Location" mouse right-click functionality. Then, using this long URL copied in to my clipboard, I paste it between the IMG tags for a Vogons post. It works OK for me, but then it can't be working correctly, because you can't see the image (now). (I wonder why it could be seen initially, but now it's gone?!) Is using the "Copy Image Location" mouse right-click functionality bad practice, and unreliable? Perhaps I need to display my images using a better technique? Thanks for any insight in to this matter!

Yeah, that's never going to work.

In my experience the "Copy Image Location" link you'll receive from Google Photos is only temporary at best, depending on how you're sharing the photo. If it's not in a shared album and you have not clicked the "Share" icon to get a link to share, you will likely not have a stable URL that others can use, only a URL that you personally can see in your browsing session.

If you really want to host images on Google Photos and share them in forums, try this:
1. Click the "Share" icon above the photo you want to share.
2. Click "Get Link" and copy the link you receive.
3. Copy the link into here: https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/ and click "Generate Code"
4. Copy the "Direct Link (URL)" link.
5. Paste the URL in your new post here and enclose it in Img tags.

That... might work.

Otherwise as was said, you can upload photos as attachments on VOGONS, or use Imgur and the like (not Photobucket).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-12-27, 04:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks for that great info! 😀 I've just tried this. Do you see the image in my original post?

Working fine here! I wasn't sure how well that process would work, but it seems to. I'll check on this months from now to see if it still works.

Stiletto