VOGONS

First post, by Muffie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Vogons community,

Few weeks ago I started to collect vintage IBM Thinkpads. Those are not quite easy to find around my area, so, so far I only got a X31 (good shape, working order upgraded with 2gb and mSATA ssd) and a T23.
I noticed (and searching this forum) that T23's sound card is not compatible with DOS.
My quest for a working order 600x continues, but, until then I was wondering if I can use an old PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on the T23. I know thats a modern card, but maybe, somehow, they might be able to emulate ADLIB or something else supported under DOS.

Someone can tell me if that's possible and, if so, how can I set it up?

All the Best,
Muffie.

Reply 2 of 6, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Is that PCMCIA Type I/II/III or actually a PC-card card? The latter won't work in older PCMCIA adapters...

It is a 32 bit PC-Card. It won't work in normal 16 bit PCMCIA slots.

Reply 3 of 6, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is just kind of a out-of-the-box suggestion but how about utilizing the LPT port of T23 instead of PCMCIA?

https://www.serdashop.com/OPL2LPT
https://www.serdashop.com/OPL3LPT

Reply 4 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Is that PCMCIA Type I/II/III or actually a PC-card card? The latter won't work in older PCMCIA adapters...

It is a 32 bit PC-Card. It won't work in normal 16 bit PCMCIA slots.

So to answer the OP's question: No. He'l need to get a vintage PCMCIA sound card that's known to be DOS compatible (and have drivers available), or use Ariakos' solution.

Reply 5 of 6, by Muffie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, ended up getting a severely used and abused (but in working order) 600x. Nice machine. Still need to get a CD-ROM or floppy for it, but I was able to get USB working under dos. So, now I can transfer files without removing the hard disk every time I need to test a new file.

Someone knows how can I configure Sound Blaster under DOS 7.1? Do I need any kind of special driver?

Thanks in Advance,
Muffie.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muffie wrote:

Well, ended up getting a severely used and abused (but in working order) 600x. Nice machine. Still need to get a CD-ROM or floppy for it, but I was able to get USB working under dos. So, now I can transfer files without removing the hard disk every time I need to test a new file.

Congrats on the 600X! Vintage IBM Thinkpads are sweet, sweet machines. I currently have 240X, 600E, T21, T23 and X61 (although the last one is from Lenovo era).

Someone knows how can I configure Sound Blaster under DOS 7.1? Do I need any kind of special driver?

It should work pretty straightforward without any special drivers as long as you have a viable and working SET BLASTER line present in the AUTOEXEC.BAT.

For example: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

You can try to tinker with the settings if you want to change them. But port 220, IRQ 5 and DMA 1 are a very common setup for Sound Blasters. IRQ 7 might be worth a try if I5 doesn't work.