VOGONS

First post, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'v got old Sound Blaster CT1320C, seems to be in a pretty good shape, but one thing bugs me - I know it's a mono card, but - how is output supposed to work when connected to stereo speakers? The thing is, when I connect the card to headphones / speakers, only one speaker (left) is playing. Is it normal behaviour, or is there someting wrong? (I guess the latter...)

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 1 of 4, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While the Soundblaster is mono, the card's headphone jack is stereo (because of backwards compatibility with CMS).
My guess is something physical (connector, solder) is wrong with the card's jack.

Last edited by Beegle on 2018-08-24, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sledge wrote:

II know it's a mono card, but - how is output supposed to work when connected to stereo speakers?

Hi! From what I remember, a stereo plug often can be installed safely in a mono jack, but not vice versa:
A mono plug of a speaker or a pair of heaphones would short two pins on a stereo jack, namely ground and right audio (R).

If a stereo plug is installed in a mono jack these things can happen:
a) You get audio only for the left speaker, since only the tip of the jack (mono or L) and the lower side of the jack (ground) make contact.
b) You get mono audio, since only pins for left audio (L) and right audio (R) of the plug are connected
(the jack's ground goes to plug's R, while the jack's mono signal goes to plug's L).
This works with passive stereo headpones, since they then work as two speakers in series
(the audio signal flows through both speakers, while the headphone's ground pin in the middle of them is not used).
c) Worst case (rare): If the mono jack's contact is located halfway between the ground and right audio (R), the stereo plug gets techically shorted.

Edit: Edited.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the path to the output on the card for missing components, like this guy : https://youtu.be/JDHw_KQNPCE?t=381

Reply 4 of 4, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shagittarius: In the words of Duane Dibbley: "Gentlemen, I think we have a suspect!" I checked the same spot on my card, and although the capacitor is not missing, it definitely looks fishy. Time to dig out the soldering iron 😀 Thanks!

And of course thanks to all for suggestions 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz