Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Postby ruthan » 2018-10-20 @ 23:59

I want to test my second Yamaha 744 with my i865 machine, where other Yamaha 744 worked, i got strange error boot that legacy audio is disable.. I tried to load setup utility, but i get message that there not Yamaha chip card inserted (Cant find Yamaha DS-XG). When started it realmode without driver utility can be executed.. (but i dont know if it is big deal). That second card, worked fine with VIA 880 Ultra (with exactly same driver, i just copied it not change anything in ini or setup utility) only disadvantages was some crackling in some games and worse compatibility - but i though (and thing) that was "just compatibility think", i double checked if its right in slot..
After that i tried my first Yamaha 744, first already worked with this machine, with exactly same settings and its working fine, in exactly same slot.

Conclusions:
- If didnt killed my second Yamaha 744 (in process i assume that i didnt).
a) My second card is half dead, i had 3rd card some same Polish source, which not worked even with Via 880 ultra, i dont have it now at this location, i thought that i could be problem with slot contact, but my testbench sucks - cards is 1-2mm higher than it should be.
b) There is some difference between cards, maybe some firmware etc. I looked at chips there is slight difference in not working has (Yamaha744B-R), working one has (744-V). True is that second card was cheap, it is a bit paranoic, but i would be totrally surprised if someone would try to sell some half that RMA cards, because seller had lots of them.
I looked into datasheet:
only difference i found is this:
YMF744B-V : 0.5mm pin pitch
YMF744B-R : 0.4mm pin pitch

Some pictures..
Working one, its looks more deluxe, has digital output, it was advertised as Aopen one:
YamahaDeluxeTop.jpg

DeluxeChip.jpg

BottomDeluxe.jpg

NonWorking one - regarding of A logo is Abit or Aopen too:
Yamaha-CheapTop.jpg

ChipCheap.jpg

Any ideas?
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby j^aws » 2018-10-21 @ 15:59

ruthan wrote:NonWorking one - regarding of A logo is Abit or Aopen too:
Yamaha-CheapTop.jpg

ChipCheap.jpg

Any ideas?

This 744 chip is a different shape than the working one, and looks like a rebranded knockoff/ fake. This chip is smaller and squarer, which resembles a 754, but it is still printed as a 744. It's probably some CMI 87xx knockoff...
j^aws
Oldbie

Postby ruthan » 2018-10-21 @ 17:07

j^aws wrote:This 744 chip is a different shape than the working one, and looks like a rebranded knockoff/ fake. This chip is smaller and squarer, which resembles a 754, but it is still printed as a 744. It's probably some CMI 87xx knockoff...

If it is fake, its very good one because with other mainboard is recognized by Yamaha driver and at least partially is working..
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-10-21 @ 19:03

j^aws wrote:
ruthan wrote:NonWorking one - regarding of A logo is Abit or Aopen too:
Yamaha-CheapTop.jpg

ChipCheap.jpg

Any ideas?

This 744 chip is a different shape than the working one, and looks like a rebranded knockoff/ fake. This chip is smaller and squarer, which resembles a 754, but it is still printed as a 744. It's probably some CMI 87xx knockoff...

Nope, definitely not a fake. Those cards were made by AOPEN. The layout of their AW744-L card (with the larger chip) is almost exactly the same except for the changes required for the smaller footprint chip. The part number for the one with the smaller chip is AW744-L2.
You can look it up on AOPEN.com and then go to whatever region. Then go to Support and then "Other Useful Links -> Downloads -> Sound Cards, and then the model number.

And if you look at the YMF744B datasheet, it shows BOTH types of chips.
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet_pdf/yamaha/YMF744B-R_and_YMF744B-V.pdf
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby j^aws » 2018-10-21 @ 19:51

^^ Nice find - so it's a lower power package with a smaller size? Makes sense, as I've seen both OPL2 and OPL3 chips reduced this way, too.
j^aws
Oldbie

Postby Neco » 2018-10-23 @ 17:45

Gonna pick up an AW744L II myself, they seem to be really good cards for DOS gaming. and that auction on ebay is still going
Neco

Postby ruthan » 2018-11-16 @ 13:45

I did some more testing.. even cheaper Yamaha is working with Conroe 865, but i have probably too much PCI cards / MB problem, because once is sound card / nic / working at boot, once not.
ruthan
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Sound