VOGONS

2 sound cards in same pc.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In dos/win98 pc, If I put in a sound blaster awe64 isa card that doesn't have OPL3 and a yamaha YMF744 pci card that has OPL3, would I be able to use the sound blaster for effects and yamaha card for opl3 music is dos games? Like awe64 doesn't play music in dos games unless I use aweutil /s, so would dos games use the pci cards opl3 instead in situation where I don't run aweutil?

Reply 1 of 30, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think DOS games can access PCI cards. You'd need some sort of driver TSR utlity that tries to fake an ISA port to games and then redirects it to PCI, but those tools usually are very hit and miss and often just don't work. And I don't even know if the YMF744 actuall offers such drivers or utility to begin with.

Edit:
It seems it works. Mostly:

YMF744+DSDMA+DOS+P965(and other PCIe chipsets)=success

You'd then need to configure ports/irqs/dmas to not conflict with each other. However, it's best to get an ISA Adlib card for this. No drivers/tools needed and also no possibility for conflicts.

Reply 2 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In phil's videos those yamaha cards work in dos but don't play sound effects without dsdma.exe tsr and since awe64 doesn't play music without aweutil /s, so idea was if those could be combined using irq 5 for the yamaha card and irq 7 for the awe64 or if there would still be some kind of conflict that would prevent it from working.

Reply 3 of 30, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Essentially you are looking for a setup where one card functions as SBPro + OPL3, and the other functions as SB16+AWE.

This can be done, and PARUS is one member that has extensive experience with such setups:
Which ISA sound card is best for DOS/98SE games?

In your case, you would first need to use the corresponding driver/utility that realnc mentioned to make the PCI card addressable via the ISA, and then you need to assign resources in a non-conflicting way, e.g., using the values described by PARUS in the linked thread.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am just trying to get OPL3 from the pci card but I am not getting them to work at same time.
Yamaha pci card is at 220h IRQ 5 DMA 1 and AWE64 is at 240h IRQ 7 and DMA 3
In doom if I set music card to 220h and no FX, I get opl3 music from the pci card.
If I set music card to 220h and FX card to 240h IRQ7 and DMA 3, doom crashes at startup and freezes the computer after error.

Reply 5 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

In phil's videos those yamaha cards work in dos but don't play sound effects without dsdma.exe tsr and since awe64 doesn't play music without aweutil /s, so idea was if those could be combined using irq 5 for the yamaha card and irq 7 for the awe64 or if there would still be some kind of conflict that would prevent it from working.

This is incorrect sir. It depends on the motherboard chipset. That is what determines whether or not you need to use the DSDMA tsr.

For most systems with ISA slots and some without, you can just use the regular setupds configuration utility. And there are modified setupds programs that support different chipsets than the stock setupds configutration utility.

See my sig for a link to the modified setupds and drivers as well as my repository of other software for XG based cards.

@ Baoran - what motherboard are you using? What chipset does it have? Since your board has ISA, it will probably work just fine without the DSDMA tsr.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-11-13, 15:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote:
I don't think DOS games can access PCI cards. You'd need some sort of driver TSR utlity that tries to fake an ISA port to games […]
Show full quote

I don't think DOS games can access PCI cards. You'd need some sort of driver TSR utlity that tries to fake an ISA port to games and then redirects it to PCI, but those tools usually are very hit and miss and often just don't work. And I don't even know if the YMF744 actuall offers such drivers or utility to begin with.

Edit:
It seems it works. Mostly:

YMF744+DSDMA+DOS+P965(and other PCIe chipsets)=success

You'd then need to configure ports/irqs/dmas to not conflict with each other. However, it's best to get an ISA Adlib card for this. No drivers/tools needed and also no possibility for conflicts.

The OP has a motherboard with an ISA slot. Why are we even talking about doing stuff with PCIe based systems?

The Yamaha cards already support DDMA and DSDMA from the factory. No need to fiddle around with trying to recreate the wheel from scratch.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
This is incorrect sir. It depends on the motherboard chipset. That is what determines whether or not you need to use the DSDMA t […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

This is incorrect sir. It depends on the motherboard chipset. That is what determines whether or not you need to use the DSDMA tsr.

For most systems with ISA slots and some without, you can just use the regular setupds configuration utility. And there are modified setupds programs that support different chipsets than the stock setupds configutration utility.

See my sig for a link to the modified setupds and drivers as well as my repository of other software for XG based cards.

@ Baoran - what motherboard are you using? What chipset does it have? Since your board has ISA, it will probably work just fine without the DSDMA tsr.

Motherboard is SY-5EMA+
I have not found a single motherboard yet that had dos sound effects without running dsdma.exe. Even old 486 motherboard with pci and isa slots that I tried couple weeks ago only had sound effects after running dsdma.exe

Reply 8 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Motherboard is SY-5EMA+
I have not found a single motherboard yet that had dos sound effects without running dsdma.exe. Even old 486 motherboard with pci and isa slots that I tried couple weeks ago only had sound effects after running dsdma.exe

I am guessing that there is something else going on. I've been able to just initialize the cards with SETUPDS and only have to use DSDMA on way newer chipsets that don't support DDMA.

And if you have a motherboard and card that have the PC-PCI/SB-Link headers, you can use it just like an ISA card without even having to use DDMA. Still have to use SETUPDS to initialize and configure but the compatibility will be right up there with ISA cards.

I don't think that there is a modified setupds for the ETEQ chipset on that SOYO motherboard though. I'll look up the process to do that and then will probably need you to run a utility to get a value that I will have to modify it with.

However, I want to make sure it doesn't already work.

Are you running this either in autoexec.bat or at the command prompt?
SETUPDS /S
That is how the configuration program does the initialization for the Yamaha card.

What is that telling you?

What happens when you then run
SETUPDS
to go into the configuration utility?

You may also need to set the PCI/ISA settings to manual and reserve an IRQ for the PCI slot you have the Yamaha card in.... and also reserve the IRQ and DMA that you want to use for the digitized sound.

Screenshots would be very helpful.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
I am guessing that there is something else going on. I've been able to just initialize the cards with SETUPDS and only have to u […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

Motherboard is SY-5EMA+

I am guessing that there is something else going on. I've been able to just initialize the cards with SETUPDS and only have to use DSDMA on way newer chipsets that don't support DDMA.

And if you have a motherboard and card that have the PC-PCI/SB-Link headers, you can use it just like an ISA card without even having to use DDMA. Still have to use SETUPDS to initialize and configure but the compatibility will be right up there with ISA cards.

I don't think that there is a modified setupds for the ETEQ chipset on that SOYO motherboard though. I'll look up the process to do that and then will probably need you to run a utility to get a value that I will have to modify it with.

However, I want to make sure it doesn't already work.

Are you running this either in autoexec.bat or at the command prompt?
SETUPDS /S
That is how the configuration program does the initialization for the Yamaha card.

What is that telling you?

What happens when you then run
SETUPDS
to go into the configuration utility?

You may also need to set the PCI/ISA settings to manual and reserve an IRQ for the PCI slot you have the Yamaha card in.... and also reserve the IRQ and DMA that you want to use for the digitized sound.

Screenshots would be very helpful.

That Eteq chipset is just rebranded Via Apollo MVP3
I took out the awe64 temporarily to just check out the yamaha pci card.
I boot and run setupds

test1.jpg
Filename
test1.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I leave it and run setupds /s

test2.jpg
Filename
test2.jpg
File size
966.56 KiB
Views
File license

I run doom and it crashes and computer is frozen after the error

test3.jpg
Filename
test3.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license

After that I reboot and run setupds /s and after that I run dsdma.
After dsdma doom starts without crashing and all sounds work.
Perhaps I have wrong version of setupds, but that is only thing I can think of.

Reply 10 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So D-DMA is not actually working there as everything is grayed out. OR rather.. it may be that you aren't running SETUPDS /S first.

SETUPDS /S should be run before just going into SETUPDS.

Go ahead and run SETUPDS /S first and then go into SETUPDS and post a screenshot of that.

If we can't get it working with the one you have....

Go ahead and try the SETUPDS for VIA from my modified driver link. The MVP3 could use the same southbridge as the early socket A boards or it could use an older one.

If that doesn't work, I will need you to look at the PCI ISA bridge ID in Windows and let me know what it says so I can make a SETUPDS that should work with your board.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They were still grayed out.
How do you check the ID in windows exactly?

test4.jpg
Filename
test4.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 30, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FM is not just at the adlib I/O address 388h. FM is also part of the Sound Blaster I/O range, which by default starts at 220h. Games can use either one depending on how they were programmed. This will complicate attempts to use an OPL3 from one sound card with another Sound Blaster (or compatible) card.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok.. bleh. So Wind9x doesn't show the hardware ID like XP and higher does.

But your motherboard uses the 586B southbridge so the ID is going to be different then the 686A/B southbridge I am pretty sure.

In that case, use System Information Viewer:
http://rh-software.com/

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, go ahead and try the one I have attached here.

I just modified the one that was already modified for the 686A/B southbridge since the hex addresses were already known.

Let me know if this changes anything.

Filename
SETUPDS-VIA-586Aand586B.zip
File size
84.06 KiB
Downloads
70 downloads
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this thread Two SB16s are better than one?
People talk about being able to disable resources in awe64, but how do you disable 388 for example? The CTCU I have doesn't allow it.

Reply 18 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

It allows me to change settings in setupds now, but dma is unfortunately still not working.
I tried all possible dma settings there was in setupds.

Ok, awesome. We are getting there.

I'll try to do some testing tonight to figure out exactly what settings should work. Pretty sure I have an MVP3 based board.

It may be as simple as changing a setting in BIOS. Do you have the PCI/ISA settings set to PnP or Manual?

I'm guessing the digital sound test in SETUPDS is also not working for you?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tried both pnp and legacy isa in bios. With pnp setting setupds complains that can't find dma at channel 1 and when you put irq 5 and dma 1 to legacy isa in bios setupds starts complaining that it can't find irq when you select test sound option. When it complains about dma native and music options are availlable but when it complains about irq those are grayed out too.
I have also tried all the pci slots on the motherboard and that doesn't make any difference.