VOGONS

My Wavetable Sample Thread

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 182, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Also, I was able to compare the SCC-1 to the Diamond Monster Sound 4MB DB with the allegedly "stolen" Roland patches. They do sound pretty similar to me, but I'm no expert. I think there's a little difference in effects processing. Here's a comparison of the levels from Audacity.

I wonder if you would be willing to make recordings from the Diamond Monster Sound 4MB for all my files from my website so I could add those?

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 141 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:

I wonder if you would be willing to make recordings from the Diamond Monster Sound 4MB for all my files from my website so I could add those?

I apologize, but no. I have so little time for this hobby that it took me over a year to update my own thread with new samples. Good luck!

Reply 142 of 182, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Also, I was able to compare the SCC-1 to the Diamond Monster Sound 4MB DB with the allegedly "stolen" Roland patches. They do sound pretty similar to me, but I'm no expert. I think there's a little difference in effects processing. Here's a comparison of the levels from Audacity.

roland comparison.jpg

The Diamond Monster Sound 4MB is the same as the Turtle Beach Cancun FX. The heavy bass is unmistakable and for that reason I would not consider this the typical Roland Sound Canvas clone. The Maestro 32/96 and earlier Terratec 4MB daughterboards are closer match. Just that the Saw-Wave and other generated waveforms are a little louder, but I find that a plus.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 143 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

The Diamond Monster Sound 4MB is the same as the Turtle Beach Cancun FX. The heavy bass is unmistakable and for that reason I would not consider this the typical Roland Sound Canvas clone. The Maestro 32/96 and earlier Terratec 4MB daughterboards are closer match. Just that the Saw-Wave and other generated waveforms are a little louder, but I find that a plus.

Thanks, gerwin. That clears up a long-standing question of mine.

Reply 146 of 182, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome thread, great for helping decide on a few cards for a DOS build I have in mind.

boxpressed wrote:

Added the STB Soundrage 32, an AMD InterWave-based card (the synth used by the Gravis UltraSound PNP line).

I think I got the same card from the same seller. Looks like you had better luck than me getting it working! Hopefully mine's not a dud. 😵

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 147 of 182, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's almost annoying how good the SB Live! sounds in these recordings. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the SB Live! or anything, but it's just... Well, it's a gaming card from Creative, and it out-midis most of the supposedly more professional stuff with ridiculous ease. I supposed Creative didn't completely waste their money when buying Ensoniq and EMU.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 148 of 182, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, it should sound exactly like this one: Miditemp DS-48 Cleanwave 32 (dream SAM9733) Wavetable Daughterboard, […]
Show full quote
boxpressed wrote:

Soon I will be reviewing the Diamond Monster MIDI DB with a SAM9733 and 4MB ROM,

If I'm not mistaken, it should sound exactly like this one: Miditemp DS-48 Cleanwave 32 (dream SAM9733) Wavetable Daughterboard, 4MB
The Dreamblaster X2 sounds exactly like that as you can hear form the previous thread link I posted.
The CS9233 is before Dream had their own CleanWave samples.

I realized the LD-80 (as I commented here) is powered by the SAM9733 for the programming and sound. It uses Casio/Medeli's custom GM soundset though.

Reply 149 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a brief hiatus from Vogons, I'm back to clean up this thread. The image links from my hosting to the final seven or so cards were broken, so I moved them over to imgur, and they work now.

It's hard to find synths and patchsets that I haven't already reviewed, but I do have a few iconic recent acquisitions left to test and record.

I also have a couple of new daughterboards, but they replicate the synth/patchset combos of standalone cards.

Stay tuned!

Reply 152 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-01-27, 22:19:

One of the best threads in the history of threads, great to see you back 👍

Thanks, badmojo! I tend to haunt Vogons in fits and starts, but I always plan to keep updating this thread. It's getting more difficult to find something new as I acquire more cards, and I'm left wondering if it's worth adding a card if only the controller/codec differs (same synth and patchset) from one I had already reviewed. Because of this, the later examples tend to be rarer, more expensive cards, which were not supposed to be the thread's focus (affordable wavetable). But there's always something new to discover, and I still have a few other cards in hand waiting in the wings.

Reply 153 of 182, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-25, 03:53:

Added the Turtle Beach MultiSound Classic. Not really a gaming card, but an indisputable part of sound card history and a personal favorite.

This is interesting to me as its the same EMU8000 chip on AWE32. Same ROM chips from the EMU wavetable 8801 board. Some cards are 1mb to 8mb... same as EMU8801/EMU8805! It would be interesting to see a rom dump if its a SoundFont ROM

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 154 of 182, by Overmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, sorry to jump in here, but I wasn't sure where to ask.
I got a box of sound cards, and one ess came with a wavetable board with a samsung kso 174-1m01 wavetable chip on it. Does anyone know what this is?

4iEZ703.jpg
H9Hbsc3.jpg
bCMpF8v.jpg

Reply 155 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Overmann wrote on 2020-02-13, 17:12:

Hey, sorry to jump in here, but I wasn't sure where to ask.
I got a box of sound cards, and one ess came with a wavetable board with a samsung kso 174-1m01 wavetable chip on it. Does anyone know what this is?

I review a standalone ISA card with that synth and romset in my thread: the Procomp Pro-Multimedia Rev. 4.0. Click the link below, then scroll down until you see the card. I don't think it will sound exactly like your daughtercard because the controller/codec will be different, but it will be close.

It looks like the Pine Vivaldi wavetable daughtercard, but yours doesn't have the Pine markings.

Re: My Wavetable Sample Thread

Reply 156 of 182, by Overmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-02-15, 22:44:

I review a standalone ISA card with that synth and romset in my thread: the Procomp Pro-Multimedia Rev. 4.0. Click the link below, then scroll down until you see the card. I don't think it will sound exactly like your daughtercard because the controller/codec will be different, but it will be close.

It looks like the Pine Vivaldi wavetable daughtercard, but yours doesn't have the Pine markings.

Re: My Wavetable Sample Thread

Thanks! I believe you're correct, it does appear to be the Pine Vivaldi Wavetable.
Also thanks for the link.

Reply 157 of 182, by frca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was interested in the actual content of wavetable ROM chips, so I ordered two off of Aliexpress and built readers for them using some Atmegas.
If anyone is interested in the data, it is here: https://franticware.com/files/wavetable_roms.7z
wavetable_roms.jpg