VOGONS

First post, by Tatarus35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi and good day to everyone!

First, I know that there are a lot of topics on Audigy 2 in Windows 98, but I couldn't find the solution for my exact issue (the issue itself is pretty common though, I guess). Sorry if I missed one and in that case, please, direct me to the right topic.

The question is - can I get sound in DOS games when running them directly in Windows 98 (without restarting in real DOS) with Audigy 2 (Platinum SB0240)?

I know there should be pure DOS drivers for Audigy 2, but restarting in pure DOS is kind of inconvenient for me, since it would require plugging the PS/2 mouse (no universal solution yet for using USB mice in DOS, right?) and finding a way to mount CD images in pure DOS, while running DOS games directly from Windows 98 lets me use my USB mouse (Razer Mamba wireless) and a CD image mounted in Daemon Tools (i have no physical CD-ROM drive in that Micro-ATX build).

I tried installing both WDM and VXD drivers for the card. With WDM drivers, some DOS games (ZAR in that case) can autodetect my soundcard as Sound Blaster Pro, and I even get some stuttering sound in intro, but no sound in-game (Redbook audio works fine). With VXD drivers no soundcard is detected at all. Quake fails to initialize sound in both cases.

Windows games work fine with no sound issues (so far) with both WDM and VXD drivers.

On the build itself - it is primarily intended for XP and Win9x games, but being able to run DOS games as well would be very nice.

The configuration is:
Biostar P4M800-M7A ver.7.0 [LGA775] [VIA P4M800] (VIA Hyperion Pro 5.20a driver pack installed in Windows 98)
PentiumD 925 3.0Ghz
2GB DDR400 (capped to 256MB in Windows 98 with burnmem.sys)
Radeon X800 256MB AGP (Catalyst 6.2 in Windows 98)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum SB0240 with 5.25 external drive (drivers and utilities for Windows 98 are installed from retail driver CD)
Seagate Barracuda 80 GB ATA
Toshiba 2TB SATA
Windows XP SP3 + Windows 98 SE English dual boot (on 80GB ATA HDD)
DirectX 8.1b installed in Windows 98

So, did anyone manage to solve this issue yet?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 3, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this working a couple of years ago using an Audigy 2 ZS in WinMe but the same applies to all winx9 OS'.

Read this: (yes, you have to install the same thing twice)
https://gist.github.com/anpage/b2cb735faf27bb … 165edc86a1bb94c

I checked the dependencies and altered some reg entires.
Ironic that it is easy to get the Audigy 2 working in real mode DOS but very difficult to get the 'Creative SB16 Emulator' part working in win9x dos boxes.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tatarus35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AvalonH, thanks, I'll definitely give it a try! Seems like I can still get some SBPro emulation with WDM drivers out of the box, not very compatible though.

PARUS Who knows. Anyway, I initially placed this topic here, and then in a moment on OG. The latter was very helpful.