VOGONS

CT4620 problem

Topic actions

First post, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to install a CT4620 in NT4 on a PB AN430TX board and failing! It crashes at 95% complete and thats that. Is there any particular reason anyone can think of?

Currently installed 400MHz K6-2 and 256mb RAM (yep I'm aware it only caches 64mb, could that be an issue?).

The card successfully installed under Win 95 with the same specs, btw.

Reply 2 of 10, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I've tried 3 different versions from the driver library. And as I'm speaking I've just tried a 4th version on an installation CD that I've just found. That's locked up at 95% too.

It must be something funky with my NT4 install.

Reply 3 of 10, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

StevOnehundred, have you installed service packs? Try SP6a, it's last newest pack. Then driver.

Reply 4 of 10, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes SP6a is installed and a multitude of further updates that came after it.

Also, I tried removing the network card in case there was a resource conflict, but still no joy.

Reply 5 of 10, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it wants DX8 for NT4.0, I just have no ideas. I should repeat it myself. I do have one system with NT4.0 installed, will try my CT4620 on it.

Reply 6 of 10, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARUS wrote:

Maybe it wants DX8 for NT4.0....

Also tried it with and without the unofficial DX5. I don't think DX8 is available for NT4(?)

Reply 7 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It isn't. NT4 had more focus on OpenGL.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 10, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have distr dx8nt4.exe (don't remember exact archive name). Have saved it but never tried. Will seek on my hard drives.

Reply 9 of 10, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try with Intel CPU.
Try only installing driver not a complete software package.

That maybe one of the following:
- NT4 too picky about driver quality
- installer tries to execute something "illegal"
- resource conflicts associated with ACPI or overlapping IRQs
- maybe some strange behavior due to AMD isn't 100% of 100% same as Intel
- lower RAM, who knows, some early games didn't run with 128 and above memory, maybe installer a bit outdated

Reply 10 of 10, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_UV_ wrote:
Try with Intel CPU. I can try this, I have a 233 mmx Try only installing driver not a complete software package. This I have don […]
Show full quote

Try with Intel CPU. I can try this, I have a 233 mmx
Try only installing driver not a complete software package. This I have done, just installing the main driver and the problem still happens

- resource conflicts associated with ACPI or overlapping IRQs As far as I can tell this area is OK
- lower RAM I can try this, I have the original 32mb stick

I'd rather not disturb the hardware, though, so I'll exhaust all other possibilties first.

In the meantime I tried installing a raid card and that had a similar result - the machine locked up almost at the end of the driver installation. What I didn't mention so far is that the system drive has a fat32 partition visible to NT (using the appropriate read/write driver from days of old) and that is where I am attempting to install the CT4620 and CMD649 drivers from.

After restoring NT, I shifted the driver installation files to C: and tried again. The raid card successfully installed. However, the sound card still wont complete installation.

I'm going to revert the NT installation back to a state before the fat32 driver was installed and see if that makes a difference.