VOGONS

CT1740

Topic actions

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just came into possession of a CT1740. The card wasn't in the best shape when I got it. That said, none of the caps are leaking, but capacitor C29 has a pinhole in the top. Nonetheless, the card works in Windows and DOS using the default Windows 95 drivers.

In Windows, the sound gets distorted when the back wheel it turned all the way up but seems quite good when the wheel is in a moderate setting. In DOS, though, the card is very quiet unless the wheel is turned all the way up, but at full setting the sound is very crisp.

Is this normal for the CT1740? Should I replace C29?

Reply 2 of 3, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-05-29, 03:55:

is there a jumper on board that changes the output from amplified to a normal line-out? would bypass the volume wheel and the issues with it.

There is. I'll give that a shot. Has anyone had any luck disassembling or spraying contact cleaner under the wheel?

Reply 3 of 3, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you should replace a capacitor with a hole in it.😄 Personally I would replace all the electrolytics on the card while I'm at it.
Wether cleaning the potentiometer restores its function depends on wether the defect is caused by dirt/corrosion or wear. I would give it a try, if the card wasn't stored well there's likely corrosion in the potentiometer.
Good luck!👍