VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Soundblaster Live that does SB sound effects pretty well but poor FM synthesis
I have a C-Media 8738 card that does FM synthesis pretty well (I really like its tone) but no SB sound effects.
Combined they would make quite a nice PCI solution!
....so....

However I am failing at the first hurdle. I install the 8738 drivers. This puts a few lines into autoexec.bat. This is straight after the lines setting the keyboard language to UK, otherwise I haven't added anything to it (it's a fresh DOS 6.22 install).

C:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO /IO240
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D3 H7 T2

It originally had more typical A I D H T values but I changed the autoexec to the values above. I want the SBL to have the default values so games that don't let you manually configure their sound options use the SB live.

The idea is (was) I would then run Liveinit.bat which would overwrite the "current" sound settings with the proper A220 I7 D1 H5 T6, but, on another Windows PC I edited the Liveinit.cfg to use 398 as its FM port!

Would this even work?

This was just meant to be a bit of fun as I have several proper ISA cards I can use. This is on a 440BX board.

Reply 1 of 2, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I tried Wolf 3D and I'm getting "standard" sound out of both! The CMedia is just doing FM synth (and a few effects, weirdly) whilst the SBL is doing crap FM synth and good sound effects

The keyboard is pretty borked though, I'm turning in all different directions and the menus are cycling themselves...

*insert puzzled Whattsapp emoji*

Reply 2 of 2, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

unsure about the keyboard issue but

using a mixer to mute the fm on the sblive and to mute the sfx of the crystal card. might do the trick