VOGONS

First post, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i was wondering if there were any soundfonts for SB! Live, YM3526 (OPL), YM2413 (OPLL), the Paula chip used in the Amiga 1200 and/or Apple II? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Amiga Paula is not something you can emulate with soundfonts as it is not even a MIDI device but actually an 8-bit 4 channel PCM sampler.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 11, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the music synthesizer on the SB!Live is nothing but a hardware-accellerated SF2 playback engine. You can get the same music synthesis one gets from the SB!Live (save for the reverb/chorus, which is not Soundfont-based, but added by a separate effects section) by using the SoundFonts shipped with the SB!Live using any other software or hardware SF2-based synthesizer. Maybe some of the soundfonts shipped with the SB!Live are still in the old sbk format, but as far as I know, there are lossless converters from SBK to SF2.

I guess you can download SB!Live driver software for windows including the Sound Fonts shipped by Creative Labs with the SB!Live, but I doubt using these fonts without an SB!Live card is allowed by copyright law / the Creative Labs EULA in most countries. It's up to you whether you care, though.

Reply 3 of 11, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2020-06-22, 22:55:

I guess you can download SB!Live driver software for windows including the Sound Fonts shipped by Creative Labs with the SB!Live, but I doubt using these fonts without an SB!Live card is allowed by copyright law / the Creative Labs EULA in most countries. It's up to you whether you care, though.

Wait, are SB!Live cards imported into laptops being sold in Germany?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-24, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not sure I understand your question. If it is about getting a Creative Labs sound card with a driver including sound fonts, you could get a Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX. The driver (at least the package for old versions of windows) comes with the standard sound fonts that were also supplied with the SB!Live (these sound fonts are called ct2mgm.sf2 and ct4mgm.sf2). As the Soundblaster Audigx 2 NX is an external USB device, it can be connected to most Windows laptops.

Reply 5 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AbsoluteHooman89 wrote on 2020-06-22, 21:17:

Hi, i was wondering if there were any soundfonts for YM3526 (OPL), YM2413 (OPLL),

Your question is ambiguous.

Option 1:

FM chips do not use soundfonts or samples.

However, there are some drivers that can convert General MIDI commands into something a FM chip can understand.

Option 2:

Probably, but since FM synthesis and PCM soundfonts don't work the same way, you won't be able to get all possible FM sounds in a soundfont.

Reply 6 of 11, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote on 2020-06-24, 06:02:

Option 2:

Probably, but since FM synthesis and PCM soundfonts don't work the same way, you won't be able to get all possible FM sounds in a soundfont.

I don't want ALL possible FM sounds. i only want the ones that sound similar or exactly like the 128 main instruments and 9 main drumsets used in General MIDI.

Oh, by the way, with "General MIDI", i mean the main instrument system used in MIDIs, not high-quality soundfonts.

Reply 8 of 11, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, i already know how to get 2 variations of an OPL3 soundfont (on Youtube and on GitHub).

Reply 9 of 11, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I'm on your page now. You should have opened the thread with examples of the OPL3 soundfonts to give people context for what you're looking for. Very interested to see if you find anything for the other chips!

Reply 10 of 11, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, by the way, has anyone noticed that i also mentioned Apple II?

Reply 11 of 11, by AbsoluteHooman89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, i have recently found out that MIDITrail, my main MIDI player, can play DLS files. anyone got any?