VOGONS

First post, by spacesaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MIDI enthusiast here. I have an Audigy 2 ZS (Gateway OEM SB0355) and Win98SE. I cannot run Creative Soundfont manager. I get "SoundFont Manager initialization failed" . Diagnostics also don't work, but I do have sound.

I suspect this could be an incomplete installation. I couldn't install directly from the Audigy 2 CD because of the OEM model, so I manually extracted the VXD drivers and installed them using Windows device manager. I couldn't find any .sf2 files installed. According to another post, the default sound font should be C:\Windows\System\CT4MGM.SF2. I found it on the CD, but don't know how it's installed

It would be a shame if Sound fonts aren't supported on OEM models 🙁 Audigy 2 OEM users, are you able to switch sound fonts and what did you have to install? What is the default sound font?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made a guide for using the ZS on Win98/DOS, but I'm not sure if that will work for OEM cards.

If it doesn't, you may need to hunt down the manufacturer's custom drivers.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The diagnostics tool and the soundfont manager don't detect the card when the drivers are manually installed, so that's normal behaviour, unfortunately.

I've faced the same problem a while ago with my non-OEM Audigy 2 and I also don't have a solution for that. 🙁

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 4, by spacesaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can load Sound fonts now! The trick was running CTZAPXX to install the drivers instead of manually using Device Manager. That also installs the 2MB sound font to C:\Windows\system and creates some MIDI interfaces. In control panel -> Multimedia -> MIDI, there are now 4 interfaces instead of 2. Thanks a lot for making the guide.

Reply 4 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cheers, I'm glad everything worked out for you!

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi