VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I want to build a great DOS gamer computer.
I would like to know what is the recommended requirements and best setup ?

Questions:
1) What is the computer requirements for Orpheus with Dreamblaster X2 to work best as a DOS gaming computer ?
( What CPU, RAM amount and Operating system do you need ? ).

The 486 and 5x86 does not play all DOS games well, So I am considering a 1st gen pentium CPU ( 133mhz thru 233 ).
What amount of ram would I need to play audio well ?

Reply 1 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no single system plays "all" DOS games well, unless you want to tinker a lot with CPU settings for different games, AMD K6 mobile and Via C3 with SetMul are pretty good for that.

also the question "what operating system do you need" for a "DOS gamer setup" is kind of redundant no? anything up to Win98 will work.

Reply 2 of 12, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-02-01, 15:08:

no single system plays "all" DOS games well, unless you want to tinker a lot with CPU settings for different games, AMD K6 mobile and Via C3 with SetMul are pretty good for that.

also the question "what operating system do you need" for a "DOS gamer setup" is kind of redundant no? anything up to Win98 will work.

After reading the OP's many previous posts on the Orpheus and wave table boards I can only conclude he's an idiot, troll, or both.

Reply 3 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I dont see anything on the Orpheus website as to how much ram it uses or what the requirements would be.
Recommended ways to hook it up or other devices to use with it.
Sound Blaster manual usually posts system recommendations and diagrams and other devices to use with it.

Reply 4 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's because creative had to make sure people don't run to them and complain if their soundcard somehow doesn't work in your system to keep support costs down.

orpheus is a product for retro enthusiasts and tinkerers, they expect you to know how a sound card for a system architecture that has been EOL for 20+ years works, they explain everything you need to know to get it running.

Reply 5 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe owner of the Orpheus can post there audio setups that work well with no problems ?

Reply 7 of 12, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can't figure out something as simple as how to use a standard ISA card with simple fire-and-forget drivers, how to hook up speakers to an industry standard 1/8" TRS jack, or alternatively how to hook up an audio amplifier to a standard 75ohm RCA cable S/PDIF, then I think you might be in the wrong hobby.
It's made for DOS. It CAN work in windows DOS prompt just without OPL3 and instead using Crystal-FM.

For pity's sake, the jacks are color coded, and the website has a diagram of every port and pin header on the thing, and details on usage and setup:
http://orpheus-soundcard.eu/

go, read, digest, read again, then attempt to understand and read a third time to make sure.

Reply 8 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if you are going to spend $275 for the fully equipped Orpheus gamers should know what setup works bests and what does not.
This is a NEW ISA sound card with out comparison. Most of the old sound cards are plagued with noise and distortions.
Maybe there are certain motherboards or setups that do not work well with this sound card ?
You can’t compare it to old sound cards because they all had noise problems.

Also what cables work bests ?

If you are going to spend the money that means you want a clean sounding setup without distortions.

Reply 9 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To keep this really simple, the Orpheus requires, on the hardware side, only one thing : a PC with a fully working (which includes ISA DMA support) 16-bit ISA slot and a 286 or better CPU ( 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium 2, Pentium 3, etc).
The only thing that won't work is installing the Orpheus in a PC with 16-bit ISA slots without DMA support . This is usually only an issue on some industrial type motherboards with Pentium 4 CPUs or newer .

As for the required initialization software, Unisound works at least on 286 CPU (and obviously newer ones), AFAICT from comments in its thread. Orphinit likely does as well, but you would have to either ask it's author or try it to be sure .

Beyond that, the only requirements will be those of the software you will be running . The Orpheus is Sound Blaster Pro compatible , WSS compatible and MPU-401 compatible (either dumb or smart mode, depending on the Orpheus model you have), so practically any software that supports these standards will work as long the PC you use meets or exceeds the said software's other requirements . It is worth mentioning that some software will not work well or at all on a PC that is too fast for it, but this is not related to the Orpheus in any way.

Reply 10 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-02-01, 18:49:

Well, if you are going to spend $275 for the fully equipped Orpheus gamers should know what setup works bests and what does not.

The Orpheus is a new sound card designed to work on a wide variety of hardware configurations . There is no single objectively best setup for it . It is versatile and it is up you to determine what works "best" for your needs and preferences . As for what does not work, I have not seen any significant issues reported (none actually on my end, but I am not the record keeper of such things, there is a thread for that and I suggest you read it). Also , this is a limited production run, it has not been tested on every system under the Sun and never will be (though I sure a lot of internal testing has taken place, there are infinite hardware variations and nobody will ever be able to test them all). It is only if someone reports a specific issue with a given configuration that a potential issue can come to light .

This is a NEW ISA sound card with out comparison. Most of the old sound cards are plagued with noise and distortions.
Maybe there are certain motherboards or setups that do not work well with this sound card ?
You can’t compare it to old sound cards because they all had noise problems.

AFAIK, the Orpheus is designed and built in a way to minimize it susceptibility to external noise and interference and to generate as little self-noise as possible . If you put it in a crappy system with a crappy noisy power supply, you may still experience issues, but those issues will likely affect any other sound card even more . There is nothing magical about the Orpheus, it is a well designed and built product and you definitely can compare it to other sound cards . In any such comparison, the Orpheus will likely come out better or at least as good as its "competitors" (the better ones among those) , no matter what system you put it in . Additionally, the digital S/PDIF output on the card reduces interference/noise risks to a large degree compared to other sound cards, again, no matter what system you put it in .

Also what cables work bests ?

The same types of cables that work well with any audio equipment . For S/PDIF , any well built 75ohm coaxial cable with RCA cinch type connectors is fine . For analogue output any high quality TRS to "whatever you need" cable meant for auido or a musical instrument will do . There are multiple choices. None of those are Orpheus specific .

If you are going to spend the money that means you want a clean sounding setup without distortions.

Agreed, but that depends on you and how you set up you audio system . The Orpheus is only one component and there many (practically infinite) ways to make it sound good . Describing them all is impossible and not relevant only to the Orpheus as the same methodology applies to using practically any piece of high quality audio equipment .

EDIT : Corrected typos

Reply 11 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After having though about it, I believe that what might actually be useful to you is a primer on digital and analogue audio levels and how to match them between output (sound cards) and input (mixer, headphone amplifier, AV amplifier, powered speakers, or whatever you want to use to actually listen to audio).

This gives some info about the basic concepts .
http://arrakis-systems.com/pdfs/installlevels.pdf
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-h … 4-bit-recording

Full disclosure : I am still learning this stuff with a lot of trial and error .

Reply 12 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-02-02, 13:53:
After having though about it, I believe that what might actually be useful to you is a primer on digital and analogue audio leve […]
Show full quote

After having though about it, I believe that what might actually be useful to you is a primer on digital and analogue audio levels and how to match them between output (sound cards) and input (mixer, headphone amplifier, AV amplifier, powered speakers, or whatever you want to use to actually listen to audio).

This gives some info about the basic concepts .
http://arrakis-systems.com/pdfs/installlevels.pdf
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-h … 4-bit-recording

Full disclosure : I am still learning this stuff with a lot of trial and error .

Thank you.