VOGONS

First post, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I've finally gotten around to hooking up all my gear that I've had in storage for ages. It's been a very long time Indeed since I dabbled with all things MIDI, so bear with me.

I'm unable to get anything out of my sound modules and so wanted to confirm if the below config looks correct?

PC (Win10 for testing) > Roland UM-ONE Mk2 ('Connect to MIDI IN port') > Mind Burner MIDI Thru device (MIDI IN port) > Mind Burner (MIDI Thru ports) > x4 different GM Sound Modules. Audio out from my Sound modules goes into an Audio Switch box and the output from that goes into input channel on my Stereo Mixer. Audio Out from Stereo Mixer goes to my powered speakers (Audioengine A2).

To test, I've installed Falcosoft MIDI player and loaded a MIDI file - I've changed the settings for input and output to the Roland UM-ONE Mk2...

I'm getting no audio at all so I've tried eliminating the MindBurner MIDI Thru device by connecting the UM-ONE MIDI 'IN' cable to MIDI IN on one of the Sound Modules). Still nothing.

Can you guys perhaps point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

I'm clearly doing something very fundamentally wrong! 😃

Thanks a lot guys

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No familiar with the Mind Burner part; I've got a combination of Kenton and MIDI Solutions merge and thru boxes, but I would think it should be:

PC -> Roland USB (OUT) -> (IN) Mind Burner to Mind Burner (OUT x4) -> Your 4 modules (IN) ports

i.e. use the Roland (OUT) port, the (IN) port on the Roland USB interface is for recording what comes back from your instruments (i.e. IN to your PC).

The Mind Burner should provide OUT ports, and these should be connected to your modules, perhaps it labels them as THRU, I'm not sure.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether you get audio or not is not an issue - that's just analogue cabling; what you need to make sure if that your modules are getting MIDI messages; my guess is that they are not, at present. Swap the Roland connection, I'm almost 100% convinced you've got it the wrong way around.

You need to consider that it's the Roland USB interface that is generating or receiving your MIDI stream, so the OUT and IN ports on it refer to MIDI being sent and received by itself, NOT by your PC.

Reply 3 of 6, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-04-19, 18:59:

Whether you get audio or not is not an issue - that's just analogue cabling; what you need to make sure if that your modules are getting MIDI messages; my guess is that they are not, at present. Swap the Roland connection, I'm almost 100% convinced you've got it the wrong way around.

You need to consider that it's the Roland USB interface that is generating or receiving your MIDI stream, so the OUT and IN ports on it refer to MIDI being sent and received by itself, NOT by your PC.

Thanks Megatron, yes these are labelled as THRU ports on the MindBurner. It does make sense totally to swap the UM-ONE to use the 'OUT' port, I'm just going off what I've read on the instructions and it indicates the IN cable should go to the IN on (for example) the back of a Sound Module...

Check out the following pic on the back of the box...
https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal … one-2250316.jpg

Reply 4 of 6, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ras2a wrote on 2021-04-19, 19:05:

Thanks Megatron, yes these are labelled as THRU ports on the MindBurner. It does make sense totally to swap the UM-ONE to use the 'OUT' port, I'm just going off what I've read on the instructions and it indicates the IN cable should go to the IN on (for example) the back of a Sound Module...

Check out the following pic on the back of the box...
https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal … one-2250316.jpg

I ran into issues with the labeling on the UM-ONE when I first used it. Normally if you were connecting two MIDI devices together you'd connect the OUT from one device to the IN on another. But the UM-ONE is trying to say this should connect to the IN port on your target device. The connectors do have arrows that correctly shows the flow of data, either IN or OUT of the UM-ONE.

Reply 5 of 6, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, done some googling and re-read the manual. The cable labelled 'Connect to MIDI IN' IS actually the MIDI out and should be connected to the IN on the back of the sound module.

After doing this, I was really scratching my head for a while as I STILL wasn't getting anywhere.

Turns out, the Roland SC-88VL has a selector switch on the back of the unit and this was set to PC1! As soon as I flipped it to 'MIDI', all was fixed and I was getting audio out

Thanks for your help guys!

Reply 6 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent!

Yeah, some of the SC modules can be connected via serial or USB (depending on the age of the unit) rather than MIDI; but you can't (normally) use both connections at the same time.