VOGONS

First post, by arizonapalms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently building an Athlon XP based Win98 system, and want some expert opinions on what PCI sound card to choose. I do enjoy 3D audio tech like A3D and EAX, but not essential.
Here are the cards I have from the top of my head:

• Aureal Vortex 1
  • Aureal Vortex 2 - What I am using now, but SB emulation not being detected and I cannot enable it!
  • Diamond Monster Sound MX400 - Canyon3D based card
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! PCI - Might be good for EAX
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - I know Drivers for win98 can be a pain, but it's a pretty high end card
  • Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - Crystal CS4630 based card
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI128 - Just kidding!!

Curious on what you use and why!

Reply 1 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound Blaster PCI 64 🤣

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 8, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I want both, A3D + EAX I have 2 soundcards in my Win98 machine.
There are many games that only support one of these 3D audio technique.
This way I always can use either of it.

My soundcards are:

- Aureal Vortex 2 (Diamond MX300) for A3D 1.0 + 2.0
- SB Audigy 2 ZS for EAX up to EAX 4.0 Advanced HD

VxD drivers for the Audigy is a bit tricky to install. But once done successfully I never had any problem with it.

I have different hardware profiles for each card. The second card is deactivated.
Works like a charm.

I also had a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz before. This was also a very good soundcard i can recommend because it supports both EAX and A3D. But only A3D 1.0.
That's why I switched over to using 2 sound cards.

Reply 3 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've gone the same route as crusher and am using both a Diamond Monster Sound MX300 and an Audigy 2 ZS. This gives the best of both worlds when it comes to EAX and A3D sound.

Instead of doing different hardware profiles, I have two independent Windows 98 SE installs. Each install is configured for a specific card. Part of the reason I did this is so each install has software specific to each card.

For example, the Audigy 2 ZS comes with a bunch of software for managing the sound card and EAX. I simply don't have that installed on my A3D-focused version of Windows. It keeps each install "cleaner".

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no hard limit to how many cards you can have in a system. If you enjoy A3D and EAX, the Audigy2+Vortex2 would be the obvious combi.

However you say 'SB emulation' which sounds like you also want to have DOS compatibility. That might change recommendations (the Santa Cruz has good DOS support for a PCI card)

It might help if you could tell us a bit more about what you will be doing with this system, both in terms of OS (eg. DOS or other things alongside Win98) and specifically which games you mainly intend to play.

Reply 6 of 8, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Live! (SB0220 I think) and it works well under Windows 98SE but I am a bit disappointed with that card. I could not get the right VXD drivers for it and could not get it to work well under DOS for now.

There are many variants of the Live! and compatibility will vary depending on the exact model. I learned it the hard way.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most my Win98 PC's have the Audigy 2 ZS.
In theory it should be the better card to previous Creative cards, but I don't notice any difference if I'm honest.
But you don't have to mess around with the right card/driver combination and has unofficial dos support, and using previous cards don't have any benefits.

I do have a PC with a Vortex 2 card but more of my games support EAX then A3D 2.0 and Audigy 2 ZS cards are easier to find this is my default

Reply 8 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mtest001 wrote on 2024-05-02, 08:42:

I have a Live! (SB0220 I think) and it works well under Windows 98SE but I am a bit disappointed with that card. I could not get the right VXD drivers for it and could not get it to work well under DOS for now.

There are many variants of the Live! and compatibility will vary depending on the exact model. I learned it the hard way.

Vogons has the right drivers (VXD) for that card assuming that it is an SB0220 - if it is an SB0200 you should get something else. http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=809&menustate=0

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey