VOGONS

First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a audigy 1 sound card for my former socket 370 V3 system. The mobo died so I need to rebuild the system. This time I will use a Gigabyte GA-7IXE mobo.

The Audigy card itself is still functioning and there is nothing wrong with it. On the contrary i was rather happy with it. I want to re use the Audigy in upcoming xp build.

Windows 98 gaming and Aureal vortex seems to be a good match. So I want to give one these cards a try for my rebuild.

Which aureal vortex 1 or 2 sound card would you recommend that gives the best A3d experience for win 98 gaming from 97 to 2000.

Is there a card that would be deem as very good or even the best that does not cost a fortune? Or do i need to have big pockets if I want to get otut the optimium out of a Aureal Vortex card?

Reply 1 of 6, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I see online, Diamond MonsterSound MX300 seems to the best most sought after Vortex2 card. It does not have any major functions that other V2 cards don't and personally I can't tell the difference between that or something from Turtle Beach sound quality-wise, so I would just grab anything with Vortex2 on it.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 6, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2024-04-30, 07:12:

From what I see online, Diamond MonsterSound MX300 seems to the best most sought after Vortex2 card. It does not have any major functions that other V2 cards don't and personally I can't tell the difference between that or something from Turtle Beach sound quality-wise, so I would just grab anything with Vortex2 on it.

Thanks for your answer. Well, this makes things more easy then. Then I will just take any card made by Turtle Beach or Aureal themselves which is a ok price for my budget.

Reply 6 of 6, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info about the waveblaster ports. These ports might come in handy for Dos gaming. So I might keep looking for an aureal vortex that has a waveblaster port.