VOGONS

First post, by AbsolutelyFree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently added a CT2290 to my collection for a dedicated DOS machine on a 486. As far as the standard sound blaster functionality goes, it works perfectly. But I am having a lot of trouble getting MIDI sound to work when using daughterboards attached to the wavetable header.

Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2290_Scan.jpg
Filename
Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2290_Scan.jpg
File size
28.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have the jumpers set exactly like this. As far as I can tell, MPUEN being closed enables the MPU-401 interface and MSEL being closed sets the I/O Address for the MPU-401 interface to 330.

In my MS-DOS 6.22 installation, I installed the SB16 drivers and rebooted. My AUTOEXEC.BAT contains the following:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:G
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

Running through DIAGNOSE.EXE, all of these settings work successfully. I am able to get perfectly fine audio out of the line-out port (I am using an external amp) with the audio tests in DIAGNOSE.EXE.

If I run MIXERSET.EXE, I see that the MIDI volume is as high as everything else.

If I go into the SETUP.EXE for duke3d, I get perfectly fine audio when I test using the Sound Blaster music options. But if I switch it to Wave Blaster or general midi and use port 330, I get no sound at all. Not garbled noise, just nothing.

So far, I have confirmed that the daughterboard definitely works on other PnP sound cards under Windows. I tried using port 300 (with MSEL open), same result. I tried setting MPUEN to open, which causes no MPU-401 device to be recognized. I have also tried testing with doom and megamidi, both of which have the same results (no sound at all).

Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong here? Or have any ideas for other things to try? I am stumped by this one.

Reply 1 of 2, by AbsolutelyFree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured it out! For some reason, this sound card just does not like the first daughterboard I was trying it with (DreamBlaster x16GS). As soon as I switched over to the other daughterboard I have on hand, the DreamBlaster X2GS SE, it instantly started working. Maybe some kind of power delivery issue? The X16GS works just fine on other sound cards, so I will just stick to using the daughterboard that works with this card.

Reply 2 of 2, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AbsolutelyFree wrote on 2024-05-01, 06:25:

I figured it out! For some reason, this sound card just does not like the first daughterboard I was trying it with (DreamBlaster x16GS). As soon as I switched over to the other daughterboard I have on hand, the DreamBlaster X2GS SE, it instantly started working. Maybe some kind of power delivery issue? The X16GS works just fine on other sound cards, so I will just stick to using the daughterboard that works with this card.

Could also be a failure to reset the daughterboard. At bootup a soundcard has to send a reset pulse of a certain time to the daughterboard, on the reset pin, to start it. Daughterboards have a different preferences of the exact parameters of this reset pulse.
On the other hand, I would expect the X16GS to be tolerant in this regard.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul