VOGONS

First post, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently, I have a Gravis UltraSound Classic 3.74 with 1024KB in my 486DX4-100 System:

GUS374.jpeg
Filename
GUS374.jpeg
File size
528.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The system is running Windows 95 and installed is the driver version 1.1

I'm encountering an issue where FX sound effects work perfectly in games like Doom and "The Settlers 2 Gold," and I can play .wav files without any trouble on Windows 95. Even the Windows 95 startup sound plays fine. However, I'm unable to hear any music in Doom or "The Secret of Monkey Island" despite trying start parameters like "a," "g," or "r." Below is the Doom sound configuration for reference:

Doom_SoundConfig.jpeg
Filename
Doom_SoundConfig.jpeg
File size
431.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Does someone know, hat I'm doing wrong?

I configured the card to port 240 and so configured this in the autoexec.bat:

Autoexec.jpeg
Filename
Autoexec.jpeg
File size
429.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

For DMA and IRQ, I set 5, since this was still free:

WIN-DMA-IRQ1.jpeg
Filename
WIN-DMA-IRQ1.jpeg
File size
471.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
UltraSoundSetup.jpeg
Filename
UltraSoundSetup.jpeg
File size
461.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you installed the full Gravis software suite including the patch files? There should be a folder of ~5-6MB of .pat files within C:\ULT (according to your autoexec.bat entry - by default they are in a 'MIDI' subfolder). You can also 'upgrade' the default patches with the 'Pro Pats' pack - you should be able to find that on archive.org or similar; it was released back when the cards were new and had some slightly nicer sounding instruments compared to the standard Gravis provided files.

Without the patch files you won't get any music - most games (even those which natively support the GUS) don't supply their own.

Games which don't natively support the GUS (i.e. games expecting an Adlib card) also won't produce any sound unless you run one of the Gravis emulation tools like SBOS (for Soundblaster & Adlib emulation) or MEGAEM (for GM/MIDI emulation).... frankly they're very hit-and-miss. I always ran a vanilla SB / SB16 alongside my GUS Max back when I bought one when they were new, for compatibility sake.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 3, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer. I downloaded the Setup-Folder from https://retronn.de/imports/gus_config_guide.html This folder includes the .pat files. But what do I do with them?

Edit: I think, it wasn't the best idea to download the setup-folder instead of installing the suite. Now, I need to figure out, where I can get the correct file in order to be able to install the Gravis suite. Maybe this will also answer my question, what I need to do with these pat-files.

2nd Edit: Hopefully, this is the correct software: https://archive.org/details/gravis_ultrasound_v4.11

Reply 3 of 3, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I removed everything I had regarding this guide:

https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Gravis_UltraSoun … s_in_Windows_95

and then installed the 4.11 Software from archive.org: https://archive.org/details/gravis_ultrasound_v4.11

I was only able to start "install.exe" from in Windows 95, not DOS. Because in DOS the installer didn't recognize Disk2, but in Windows it was fine. At the end, I had everything in "C:\Ultrasnd".

Then, from DOS, I started "setup.exe" (inside of "C:\Ultrasnd"). Everything worked fine, the driver installed and my autoexec.bat was automatically updated. After I added "C:\Windows" to the PATH-Variable in my autoexec.bat, I was able to (automatically) install Software like "Patch Manager", "UltraSound Configuration" and "UltraSound Mixer".

This is my current (updated) autoexec.bat:

IMG_9246.jpg
Filename
IMG_9246.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File comment
new autoexec.bat
File license
Public domain

I loaded some Patch files like this:

IMG_9244.jpeg
Filename
IMG_9244.jpeg
File size
541.29 KiB
Views
File comment
Patch Manager
File license
Public domain

(not sure, if I selected the correct ones and if I need all of them...)

The configuration looked like this:

IMG_9236.jpeg
Filename
IMG_9236.jpeg
File size
991.19 KiB
Views
File comment
UltraSound Setup
File license
Public domain

(I also tried different values here, like IRQ 5 instad of 3)

And the Windows Multimedia-Seupt and DeviceManager looks like this:

IMG_9239.jpeg
Filename
IMG_9239.jpeg
File size
850.85 KiB
Views
File comment
Device Manager / Multimedia
File license
Public domain

(not sure, if it is correct, that the device manger only shows my MPU-401-Card.)

Current state in Windows:

• Wave-Files still playing find - Win95 Startup-Sound plays also fine.
  • I have Sound in Doom, but only high-pitched noise, no melody
  • No sound in Monkey Island
  • Weird noise in The Settlers 2

Current state in Dos:

• Doom works absolute find with FX-Sound and Music
  • No sound in Monkey Island
  • Only FX sound in The Settlers 2

Edit:

After executing sbos.bat from the C:\ultrasnd directory and hearing the confirmation "SBOS installed," I had sound in Monkey Island under DOS. However, I've had no luck getting sound to work in Settlers 2 so far.