VOGONS

First post, by Karmeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this a function this device has?

So I have the um-one in my commuter, by usb.

Then connect the midi cables to the sc-55. Why don't I get audio?

I was under the impression that audio could get in and out of the sc-55 using only the midi outlets. As don't want to move my headphones to the sc-55 when listening to midi or play games.

......... wait.... that could not work. it would just send raw midi data back to the computer.

gad dam it.

Attachments

Last edited by Karmeck on 2024-05-13, 16:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Midi is data, not audio.

If you want to route audio into your computer, you need to connect audio out from the SC-55 to the line input on your soundcard.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 8, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Get yourself a 3.5mm trs to 1/4 trs to go from the output on the sc-55 to the line in on your soundcard. The cables aren't expensive and will sound pretty good in my car experience. Alternatively you could route both output from the sc-55 and soundcard to a mixer and hook your headphones to that this would give you the option to add more audio/midi modules into the system in the future.

Reply 4 of 8, by Karmeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using an USB dac. Fiio, as the audio from my motherboard is.... Not good. There is no line in or mic, on this usb dac.

But it's my understanding that rca->3.5mm in to the mic at the back of my motherboard, tell windows to listen to the mic, will get me sound in my headphones.

Reply 6 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Karmeck wrote on 2024-05-14, 10:37:

But it's my understanding that rca->3.5mm in to the mic at the back of my motherboard, tell windows to listen to the mic, will get me sound in my headphones.

mic input goes through a preamp, mic level is not line level (what sc55 puts out). you will end up getting a bunch of noise/hiss on the signal.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 7 of 8, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you won't want to use mic connectors at all.

As said above, you need:
1. Headphones - just plug your headphones into the SC-55, possibly with adapter
OR 2. RCA to whatever connector required to pipe your SC-55 into your mobo audio etc.

Even if your mobo audio is "bad", if it has line-in, this is a better solution than mic. And if it has a mic input I'd be shocked if it didn't have line-in! But mic will work if you legitimately have no other option - you just may want to look into reconfiguring it in the future.