VOGONS

SB AWE32 DOS/Win 98 Drivers?

Topic actions

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired a AWE32 card (non PnP version). However when I plug it into my system, Windows 98 does not seem to recognize it (it doesn't even seem to see it).

Where can I get the DOS and Windows 98 drivers? I found a file that said it was a Windows 95/98 driver update, but it didn't seem to do anything (Windows still doesn't see the card). It also doesn't solve my missing DOS driver issue. I see there's something called a AWE32 Basic Disk, but I can't seem to find a working download for it.

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 29, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you checked DriverGuide?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 3 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I have some stuff for the non-PnP AWE32, including that Basic disk. Sound Blaster 16 drivers should work OK too for basic functionality.

I'm interested too, recently aquired two early AWE32 non PnP models

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 29, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, I'll get in on this action. My non-PnP AWE32 won't come for a while, but I can get a headstart.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 5 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you go! All of this was publicly available at one point, so it should be OK.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to get this to work. It wont install the drivers in Windows 98, and when I boot to DOS, it still seems to know that I'm in Windows 98 (well it says 95, but you get the picture).

Do I have to have a dual boot running DOS 6.22 and Windows 98? Where are the Windows 98 specific drivers? They must exist right? I'm also not sure about all the IRQ and Port settings, it's been waaaay too long since I've dealt with that stuff.

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 8 of 29, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download the drivers from Creative´s website.

For non-PnP cards, you'll need these files:

• sbw9xup.exe (311.97 KB) 13 Nov 98
    Contains the Windows 9x driver update
  • Basic DOS-level utilties for use in Windows95 MS-DOS mode or a Windows 95 Command Prompt only boot. (378.99 KB) 20 Jun 01
    Same as the MS-DOS drivers, but can be installed on DOS versions newer than 6.22.
  • DIAGNOSE.EXE v4.04 for Win95 SB16/AWE32/SB AWE 64 users. (221.64 KB) 8 Oct 96
    This is needed for setting resources on AWE cards with an EPROM instead of jumpers for I/O-addresses, IRQ and DMAs

Hope this helps...

@Great Hierophant: Had a short look into the archive you uploaded, those drivers seem to be for DOS/Win3.11 and won't install on Win9x systems, unless you boot with an older DOS version like 6.22.

@Tempest: Could you post your system specs and the model number of your AWE32? It seems strange that Windows 98 doesn't detect it, at least the vanilla SB16 drivers that ship with the OS should install automatically.

Reply 10 of 29, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, try the following:
Download the DIAGNOSE.EXE utility mentioned above and execute it in DOS mode. Select "Auto scan" when it asks for the base I/O address.

The utility should then display the I/O address of the card (220-280h) and show the following line near the top of the screen:

DSP version: 4.13  Advanced Signal Processor: Detected
Base I/O: 2x0H Wave-Table: 6x0H

If it doesn't, something is wrong. Make sure no other cards are interfering with the AWE, and try all the base adresses manually.

Reply 11 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:
Hmmm, try the following: Download the DIAGNOSE.EXE utility mentioned above and execute it in DOS mode. Select "Auto scan" when i […]
Show full quote

Hmmm, try the following:
Download the DIAGNOSE.EXE utility mentioned above and execute it in DOS mode. Select "Auto scan" when it asks for the base I/O address.

The utility should then display the I/O address of the card (220-280h) and show the following line near the top of the screen:

DSP version: 4.13  Advanced Signal Processor: Detected
Base I/O: 2x0H Wave-Table: 6x0H

If it doesn't, something is wrong. Make sure no other cards are interfering with the AWE, and try all the base adresses manually.

The Diagnose app seems to detect the card (which is good), but when I go to save the changes it asks for the directory of my drivers (SB16 DRV) which don't exist and I can't save.

Interestingly my Ensoniq Soundscape card is also having trouble in DOS now. I'm wondering if the two cards aren't interfering with each other? Can you pick any Port/IRQ/DMA setting for the cards (within the options given) or are there certain ones I should use?

So how exactly do I install the drivers in DOS? Is there an EXE I run and a certain folder I put them in? I'm all confused now...

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 12 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The way I got around that silly limitation in the drivers I posted was simple, I got the install program to work in DOSBox and then moved the directory to the root of the real drive. Setup was required for the AWE cards of course, which are not detected in DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 29, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempest wrote:

The Diagnose app seems to detect the card (which is good), but when I go to save the changes it asks for the directory of my drivers (SB16 DRV) which don't exist and I can't save.

Yes that's normal as long as the basic DOS-level utilities are not installed. I just wanted to know whether your AWE card is alive. 😉

Tempest wrote:

Interestingly my Ensoniq Soundscape card is also having trouble in DOS now. I'm wondering if the two cards aren't interfering with each other? Can you pick any Port/IRQ/DMA setting for the cards (within the options given) or are there certain ones I should use?

A-ha! A Soundscape in the same system will interfere with the AWE if both cards use the same settings. That also explains why the AWE doesn't get detected under Windows.

Unfortunately I don't have a Soundscape, so I can't help you with the configuration of this card. Maybe there is a way to turn off the SB emulation on the Soundscape, if there isn't, you'll have to use different resources for each card.

Try to get both cards working simultaneously under Windows 98 before you install the DOS drivers.

Here are some common and alternative settings for the AWE card:

SB I/O | IRQ | DMA | MIDI | AWE
-------|-----|-----|------|----
220 | 5 | 1/5 | 330 | 620
240 | 7 | 3/7 | 300 | 640
260 | 9 | 0/6 | 300 | 660

Use the first line for the AWE, if possible, and pick out values from the other lines for the Soundscape. Also make sure the resources are not used by some other device in your system.

Tempest wrote:

So how exactly do I install the drivers in DOS? Is there an EXE I run and a certain folder I put them in? I'm all confused now...

When both your cards are working in Windows without conflicts, you can install the drivers I posted above. These are self-extracting archives, so put them into a temporary folder (one for each driver) before executing them.
Start with the Windows 9x driver update, then install the basic DOS-level utilities, and finally the DIAGNOSE.EXE tool. The unpacked DOS drivers should all go into a single directory, it doesn't really matter where it is, as long as the line "SET SOUND=" points to the correct folder after installation.

Reply 14 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the information, I'll try this tonight. Any hints on getting Windows to see my AWE32? I can tell Windows to install specific hardware (pick from the list), but then it wants me to insert the Sound Blaster driver disk which I don't own. Will the drivers in any of those files that were posted work for this? I'm sort of surprised Windows can't find them on it's own CD, it's not like the AWE32 was a obscure card or anything.

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 15 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you know it occurs to me, how do you set both the SoundScape and AWE32 to run together in the autoexec.bat and config.sys? They both seem to use the SET BLASTER line, and obviously they can't both use the same IRQ, PORT, and DMA settings.

Do I have to make a multi-boot AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS that loads a different set of options depending on which soundcard I want to use for a game? I assumed I could use them together, like the SoundScape for MIDI and the AWE32 for Sound Blaster (turning off the SoundScape SB Emulation).

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 16 of 29, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempest wrote:

Any hints on getting Windows to see my AWE32? I can tell Windows to install specific hardware (pick from the list), but then it wants me to insert the Sound Blaster driver disk which I don't own. Will the drivers in any of those files that were posted work for this?

Probably yes (sbw9xup.exe). But then you'd still have the cards conflicting with each other, and one of them (or both) will not work correctly. You really need to disable the SB emulation of the Soundscape (or move it to different resources) first.
Once the emulation does not block the resources needed by the AWE any more, I'm sure Windows will automatically detect the AWE32 upon the next reboot and install the vanilla drivers for it.

Tempest wrote:

you know it occurs to me, how do you set both the SoundScape and AWE32 to run together in the autoexec.bat and config.sys? They both seem to use the SET BLASTER line, and obviously they can't both use the same IRQ, PORT, and DMA settings.

Exactly.
I am not sure how to solve these conflicts, as I don't have a Soundscape card, so I don't know how to change settings for it. But I reckon the resources depend on the values set up in the Windows device manager.

Tempest wrote:

Do I have to make a multi-boot AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS that loads a different set of options depending on which soundcard I want to use for a game?

Not neccessarily. The BLASTER variable can can be reset any time, so you can change it whenever you need to access the other card.

Tempest wrote:

I assumed I could use them together, like the SoundScape for MIDI and the AWE32 for Sound Blaster (turning off the SoundScape SB Emulation).

Yes, I'm sure that is possible.

Reply 17 of 29, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I got Windows to recognize both cards, but now the SoundScape card is conflicting. I was able to fiddle around with the settings a bit to remove all the conflicts (not 100% sure I know what I'm doing), but it still shows the card as not working (a little yellow !). Is there a recommended settings list for getting both the SoundScape and AWE32 working in Windows? I noticed one of the IRQ ports was taken up by the printer port, can I disbale that somehow if I'm not using a printer?

Incidentally the initialization program in DOS (ssinit) can't initialize the SoundScape card either.

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 19 of 29, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Doesn't seem to include the AWE Control though, that the CD had, and Creative doesn't provide this on the site anymore

This is exactly what I need. Does anyone have one of those? Thanks!