Recommend a PCI Sound Card for DOS

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 127, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-04, 16:39:
Plasma wrote on 2021-11-04, 16:30:

There's more than 10 available here for $20 each...

isn't electromyne known for selling a bunch of broken shit?

I don't think they are worse than any other surplus seller? It's pretty uncommon to get a dead sound card anyway.

Dominus wrote on 2021-11-04, 17:07:

Please do not post direct ebay links.

Why not?

Last edited by Plasma on 2021-11-04, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 121 of 127, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Because we‘ve been abused by someone advertising his … via our forum. Ever since we like to keep direct links out of Vogons.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 122 of 127, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2021-11-04, 17:13:

Because we‘ve been abused by someone advertising his … via our forum. Ever since we like to keep direct links out of Vogons.

The ability to share links to 3rd party sales is very beneficial to the community

I can understand the position of not allowing direct sales to occur on the forum but this seems draconian and unreasonable. If people get caught shilling their own auctions here simply ban them instead of punishing the whole user base

Reply 123 of 127, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah its stupid rule, unless its linked by seller itself, but even than there are already lots pseudo links like Serdashop advertising etc.

Youtube links are also advertising to make money is someone is bigger youtuber its also generating him credit.

To try to be mad as people is some Linux community.. which claims to be only clean pure GNU non commercial projects.. which is interesting for 0.01% of users.

Commerce is fine/ healthy, unless if using false advertising, child labour etc..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 124 of 127, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote on 2021-11-04, 22:09:
Yeah its stupid rule, unless its linked by seller itself, but even than there are already lots pseudo links like Serdashop adver […]
Show full quote

Yeah its stupid rule, unless its linked by seller itself, but even than there are already lots pseudo links like Serdashop advertising etc.

Youtube links are also advertising to make money is someone is bigger youtuber its also generating him credit.

To try to be mad as people is some Linux community.. which claims to be only clean pure GNU non commercial projects.. which is interesting for 0.01% of users.

Commerce is fine/ healthy, unless if using false advertising, child labour etc..

You can never know if this is the case, and it was the case in the issue mentioned above. I'm cool with no links to sales, you mention it and if someone really wants to find it they can dig it up or PM you.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 125 of 127, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2018-11-18, 06:51:

...i even made 700 MB testing packing with all available demos in list, but i need some hosting for it.
Maybe some games have better ports, but doesnt means that there are still good testcase for sound cards, if these would run, allmost everything would probably run to too.

Did you find suitable host space?
If not, I could put it onto my Google Drive for public access.

I ask because I'd really like the idea of an 700MB ISO that can be burnt onto a cheap 700MB CD-R, with that nice collection of shareware/demos.

Reply 126 of 127, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@retardware
Its in Vogons library:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1572

There is also new big Win98 demos package online:
Re: VOGONS Driver Library

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 127 of 127, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For DOS Games, and no ISA slot or PCI sound card with DDMA, I can recommend the VIA 686A/686B Onboard Legacy Audio emulation. It emulates very well ADLIB and Sound Blaster, and it needs only three files: VIAUDIO.COM, VIAFMTSR.COM and DOS4GW.EXE. Also these lines needs to be present on AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
VIAUDIO.COM
VIAFMTSR.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330

And you're ready to go with DOS games. Tested at me with a GIGABYTE GA-7DXE motherboard with AMD 761 and VIA 686B chipset, with the Cycles:International Grand Prix game from Accolade.