VOGONS

Reply 480 of 486, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2023-06-07, 19:17:
You can try to search if this is compatible with AC97.. and if yes try SB-EMU driver.. I opened some datasheet and there is some […]
Show full quote

It's CMI8738. At least I could recognize the C-Media logo on the chip.

You can try to search if this is compatible with AC97.. and if yes try SB-EMU driver.. I opened some datasheet and there is something about SPDF_AC97 register, but it does not have mean that its AC97 compatible device.

Its based on MXPlay which have some Cmedia8738 support.. but this changelog is mess, i dunno if Cmedia support its DOs or WIn related:
https://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/whatsnew.txt // Search for 8738
But text new (PCI) soundcard handlers: from my point of view suggest more DOs than Windows thing..

MPXPlay does support the CMI8738 but SBEMU does not, the cmi8x38 driver is not compiled in. I made a post earlier about audio controllers supported by SBEMU. Whether an audio controller uses AC97 or not is mostly irrelevant for SBEMU, it's whether it supports the audio controller in the first place.
The Asus A8V-X has a VIA VT8251 south bridge with HD Audio controller, SBEMU will probably work with that (I think it's PCI device 1106:3288). Anyway, all that belongs in the SBEMU thread.

Reply 481 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pentaerythritol wrote on 2023-06-07, 16:46:

Thanks for the help! I don't know if my setup will be able to pull off dos games honestly, I just bought an Asus A8V-X board (VIA K8T800PRO chipset) which theoretically could run win 98 (according to my research), so I'm thinking to get a PCI card and try to build a strong win98 machine that could potentially run some dos games with sound. Probably it won't work, but this is my first retro build experience so whatever happens is gonna be fun I guess.

I don't really have a board using VT8251 so I cannot be 100% sure, but considering it's supposed to be pin-compatible with VT8237 family southbridges, ESS Solo-1 should in theory work as good as it is on VT8237x.

Reply 482 of 486, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-06-08, 00:34:
Pentaerythritol wrote on 2023-06-07, 16:46:

Thanks for the help! I don't know if my setup will be able to pull off dos games honestly, I just bought an Asus A8V-X board (VIA K8T800PRO chipset) which theoretically could run win 98 (according to my research), so I'm thinking to get a PCI card and try to build a strong win98 machine that could potentially run some dos games with sound. Probably it won't work, but this is my first retro build experience so whatever happens is gonna be fun I guess.

I don't really have a board using VT8251 so I cannot be 100% sure, but considering it's supposed to be pin-compatible with VT8237 family southbridges, ESS Solo-1 should in theory work as good as it is on VT8237x.

I got an Asus board A8V-MX (Socket 939) last week, that has the VT8251 VIA Southbridge. It does work with the ESS Solo-1 / ES1938 card using TDMA mode. DOS 7.1, using the instructions I posted on page 24 (mix of ESSOLO.INI configuration + PCISET instruction to change to TDMA).

The Northbridge is K8M800.

The only trick I did.... it was getting IRQ 10. I went to BIOS and reserved IRQ 10, next boot it got IRQ 5.

By the way, I tried a couple of boards with VIA Southbridges, all worked using this method:
Socket 754 Asus K8V-MX and K8V-X SE, Abit KV80 (VIA VT8237R)
Socket 462 EPOX 8K7A+ (AMD 761 North + VIA VT82C686B)
Socket 478 ECS P4VMM2 VT8235

In some cases I had to try a different PCI slot, at the end all worked.

The irony is VIA was the underdog, but for this retro combination it is a good alternative. I will probably settle my main retro machine on a Socket 754 reducing CPU speed with CPUSPD. It relies on common parts to fix and run, plenty available and not expensive (at the moment). I got 2 Yamaha 7x4 cards coming, I will see how they run . If they work, I will be done with it and starting playing some old games.

Last edited by Aladim on 2023-06-19, 19:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 484 of 486, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the rarest sound card from creative with the mini PCI form factor. I found it on the Firebird 803 machine.

Attachments

Reply 485 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-07-06, 18:54:

Here is the rarest sound card from creative with the mini PCI form factor. I found it on the Firebird 803 machine.

CA20K2? I wonder what model it is... how much RAM does the card come with? Normally X-Fi cards except XtremeAudio (which is not EMU20K) have onboard memory though I'm not sure how it could be utilized...

Though it won't be of any help if you want to use it for legacy audio... CA20K is only useful on Windows with soundfonts. Sadly no one ever succeeded in utilizing its hardware features outside Windows unlike its predecessors (EMU10Kx, Live! and Audigy series).