Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 171, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

Nothing outside of pure DOS will probably really work for the emulation of a DAC through FM synthesis

CMI8738 supposedly works in MS-DOS, although I suspect that mostly applies to the earlier versions.

Reply 161 of 171, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My understanding is that PCM is dodgy where OPL3 via 0x388 is generally fine. Not an expert, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 162 of 171, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
canthearu wrote:

Nothing outside of pure DOS will probably really work for the emulation of a DAC through FM synthesis

CMI8738 supposedly works in MS-DOS, although I suspect that mostly applies to the earlier versions.

Well I have been trying to get my other sound card the AW840 (CMI8738 chipset) working and just cant get it to work in dos!

Reply 163 of 171, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, could also be the motherboard's fault.

I have an Abit SL10T (815 motherboard with Tultian CPU support) board here and it refuses to do any sort of PCI dos sound card emulation, except for vortex cards.

You will need to try with a different card to see.

Reply 164 of 171, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:

I have an Abit SL10T (815 motherboard with Tultian CPU support) board here and it refuses to do any sort of PCI dos sound card emulation, except for vortex cards.

Possibly but I did try the AW840 (CMI8738 chipset) in another machine it still didnt work but I noticed instead of IRQ:5 it had it as IRQ:A when it was loaded in dos besides the Autoexec saying IRQ:5, not sure if that was a reason why not working.

Reply 165 of 171, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote:

Have you tried Fortemedia FM-801 cards? They work flawlessly for me on 815/E/EP boards. They sound a million times better as well.

Here are FM-801 recordings I made on a Compaq i815EP board:

https://soundcloud.com/user-470084971/sets/te … 01-fm-synthesis

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 166 of 171, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Just one question - There is no Ensoniq drivers for Windows 3.11, right? Because VMWare Fusion on macOS does not have SB16 emulation (but does emulate some kind of Ensoniq). Virtualbox does have SB16, but the sound is crackling. This is why I am still using it with DOSBox.

PCI or PCI Express Sound Card for Windows 3.X Sound

Thanks, but unfortunately they don't work with WFWG 3.11 under VMWare Fusion on macOS. I have set the VM to use ES1371 instead of SB16 (editing the VMX file), and when I run the install, it does not detect any soundscape device so the install cannot continue. Was worth a try anyway. I'll stick with the DOSBox solution until VirtualBox fixes their SB16 crackling sound bug (It was fixed around version 5.2.x, but after 5.4.x and more recently the 6.x versions, the bug came back and was never ever fixed again, Oracle stupidly does not have interest in it).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 167 of 171, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all:

I'm using an AudioPCI 5200 (Es1373) with the Ensoniq driver from the first post. DOS 6.22 on real hardware. However, when apinit.com is run, the system hangs forever. It gets up to here and then never proceeds. Any ideas? I know the card is good (it was working in Win 98 on this same hardware, but I want to turn this into a pure DOS machine).

Attachments

Reply 169 of 171, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a question - how does the MIDI UART FIFO work on this? The datasheet is very unclear on this. There's 8 bytes of FIFO, but are all 8 bytes used for TX and RX together, are there 4 bytes for TX + 4 bytes for RX, or what's going on?

Reply 170 of 171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typically in serial communications the FIFO is used to receive data because the CPU can plan it's time to transmit fluently, but may not be instantly ready when data starts to arrive.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 171 of 171, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
captain_koloth wrote on 2021-03-06, 19:30:

Hello all:

I'm using an AudioPCI 5200 (Es1373) with the Ensoniq driver from the first post. DOS 6.22 on real hardware. However, when apinit.com is run, the system hangs forever. It gets up to here and then never proceeds. Any ideas? I know the card is good (it was working in Win 98 on this same hardware, but I want to turn this into a pure DOS machine).

could be an emm error. try qemm instead.

My SB128pci shows that everything is OK under dos but I can't use it anywhere. No game/demo/soundplayer find's anything...strange.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines