VOGONS

Sound Card Recordings

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 265, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that TB Pinnacle has a very decent and balanced sample bank.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 241 of 265, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

It seems that TB Pinnacle has a very decent and balanced sample bank.

Yes, one of my favorite for this moment.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 242 of 265, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

I cannot download the music. Only listen from the page.

You was fist, who ask me about download music, all other friends prefer to listen online.
Created download icon.

Thx! That was mostly because I had some bad performance earlier. It is better now.
But I also like to download to keep them for music player.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 243 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great recordings! The NV1 is so painful to listen to, hard to believe this was actually sold 🤣

Just in case you didn't know, your DB60XG recording in Grabbag for example is in GM mode, try playing it just after booting the PC and you will get a different rendition closer to a Sound Canvas 😀

Reply 244 of 265, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Great recordings! The NV1 is so painful to listen to, hard to believe this was actually sold :lol:

NV1 firstly focused as 3d video card so, i think, nobody seriously use sound from this card.

d1stortion wrote:

Just in case you didn't know, your DB60XG recording in Grabbag for example is in GM mode, try playing it just after booting the PC and you will get a different rendition closer to a Sound Canvas :)

I'll try, thanks.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 246 of 265, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Great recordings. GUS really shines for OMF2097.

Yes, hardware interpolation in games, that used tracker files. Mostly from "Epic megagames".
And GUS still good for games between 91 and 93, with direct GUS support. After 93-94, I think, that many developers start optimizing sound for Awe32.
For example Warcraft2 sounds better on Awe32 (in general), but GUS still sounds better for Doom.

Reply 247 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I felt like doing some quick recordings from my EWS64. GS_8MB.94B was used as soundfont. Enjoy 😀

https://mega.co.nz/#!oN4VEaya!SQ8LC3-yavI29o1 … 13h3JQsM3KIKv7A
https://mega.co.nz/#!gdRVmCAZ!aYwf2FRZB2PRt65 … zUlhsxdy4HQCgjY

Reply 248 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What were your effects settings?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 249 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I used the ones posted here by you and others, but with reverb/chorus send on 54 instead of 50. This is optimal for MIDIs like these with a lot of reverb/chorus, but tracks with these parameters set to standard (40) will sound dry (Doom for example).

Did you ever notice how with a GM/GS reset the Dream resets itself to maximum volume? Any way to change this?

Reply 251 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

The EWS64 sounds nice! Most importantly, it sounds "quiet" 😀

I'm a bit surprised at this comment, seeing as the signal quality on this card isn't great by any means in my setup. To see what I mean set it to maximum volume and listen to those few seconds on Duke before the music starts.

AFAIK with my settings it even used the 18-bit DAC for the Dream synth instead of the 16-bit Crystal codec... I'll probably switch to digital sometime later.

Reply 252 of 265, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, you're right. When I used my headphones and cranked the volume up, it definitely became a bit annoying. However, using my speakers, it is barely audible at normal volume levels, that is how I initially listened to these and that's why it sounded so good.

I guess having to listen to the AWE32 has made me much more tolerant hahahaha

Reply 253 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually use an external mixer.
And it is always the case that the signal quality depends strongly on the whole system, most important is a clean power source.
This is why you can hear components working on some computers, even on new ones if you have a graphics card that draws a lot of power.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 254 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a little comparison between EWS64 w/ GS_8MB.94B soundfont (SC-88 plus some custom samples) and a real SC-88. Games include Doom2, Heretic, Descent. File size is due to lossless format.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/itwjx97soa7 … 23/EWS64_rec.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mkhsttqcx4l … 4u/SC-88_rec.7z

Notes:
- In the used EWS64 configuration, effects are noticeably more pronounced than on the SC-88, and sound different in general.
- Signal quality from the SC-88 is far superior.
- EWS64 has instrument volume balancing issues at times. This isn't limited to this specific soundfont and is not apparent in every track. Panning is different too.
- The guitar sounds on this particular soundfont were likely created from scratch or taken from a different source than the SC-88, as opposed to the majority of other samples. It seems to have trouble with fast note changes, the guitar part on Doom2 MAP10 sounds a bit choppy.
- Curiously, the EWS64 soundfont gets the "muted" cymbal behavior on Doom2 MAP01 right (i.e. as it would sound on the SC-55), which the SC-88 doesn't in its default map.

PS: For some reason Audacity doesn't show clipping in Win7 anymore even though I checked the option, makes it a lot harder to notice it when recording...

Reply 255 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What EWS64 effect settings did you use? (i.e. what was your configuration setting)

- EWS64XL has digital-out on the FP if signal quality is a priority

Did you initialize as GM or GS device before running Doom?
Which other soundfonts did you try?

Youtube Channel

Reply 256 of 265, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

What EWS64 effect settings did you use? (i.e. what was your configuration setting)

Re: Testing a Terratec EWS64XL; includes Doom recording

- EWS64XL has digital-out on the FP if signal quality is a priority

I don't have digital in on my main PC. But from past testing IIRC this didn't change the main problem, audible squealing when moving the mouse etc., due to the FP still being an internal solution. This seems to be a common thing with the EWS64 in general going by other sources.
As for signal path settings in Ewsmixer, for these recordings I used M for IN-2 and B for OUT-1. Does this route the Dream output through the codec?

Did you initialize as GM or GS device before running Doom?

Doom sends a GM reset by itself.

Which other soundfonts did you try?

The standard supplied one (GSSBK320 or something), the 10 MB GS one and the Yamaha one. The 8 MB GS soundfont is my favorite. My EWS64 has a 16 MB SIMM.

On a further note, I noticed that the synth bass in this soundfont is ripped straight from the DB60XG 😀

Reply 258 of 265, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never hear about this card. Is this an isa soundcard? Can you provide a photo?

Reply 259 of 265, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, it is the onboard sound on the SiS 630/730 chipset. What would I be supposed to record, and in what OS? With WDM drivers on 98 (or WDM systems like Windows 2000) you fall back to MS GM software synth, pure DOS and VxD drvers take advantage of the hardware assisted synth.