VOGONS

Reply 260 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I got the package today, EVERYTHING was excellent: packing, components, price, everything. Thanks for doing this Fagear!!!

That's great!
I'm surprised with the speed of Russian post for outgoing mail. It took less than a week (6...12) to deliver, wow! 😲 While I'm still waiting for at least 10 different packages, some of them were sent January 25...27. 🤣
That's good that packaging was enough, let's hope that all other will be delivered in good condition as well.

keropi wrote:

I'll start building the card tomorrow and update, I hope my 8580 SID from another source is not DOA 😁

Really want to see that board ready to rock. I hope that antistatic bag did its job and all ICs are intact.

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 261 of 590, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, it really got here fast! no complains from me 🤣
I just have one question: who has long black hair? 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 262 of 590, by amigo-mexicano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

yeah, it really got here fast! no complains from me 🤣
I just have one question: who has long black hair? 😀

I think that kit got some extras included haha! 😁

amigo-mexicano
Retro computer-and-console nerd from Mexico City!
www.videogamedose.com

Reply 263 of 590, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assembled the card today:

th_WP_20150213_007_zps40479dc7.jpg th_WP_20150213_011_zpsdc3c78dc.jpg th_WP_20150213_015_zps96c6228c.jpg

th_WP_20150213_015_zps96c6228c.jpg th_WP_20150213_017_zps6010c35b.jpg th_WP_20150213_019_zps685e8884.jpg

sadly the SID is dead. It does write "low" on it, it only became visible in the last photo. Output is VERY low and somewhat garbled. You do recognize some melody but you need to have the volume to the max and the parasites are terrible. You can even hear the pc "working" 🤣
So I am searching for a new SID apparently... 😵

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 264 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This may be a stupid question but... What's the difference between C64/6581 and DS/6581? I'm asking cause i ordered 2 6581 SID's. One is a 6581 and the other is a 6581R4. Does this mean that not all 6581's are equal and need different filtering caps? How will i know what is the correct 6581 for my card?

Reply 265 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All 6581 need the same external circuitry and different revisions can be interchanged.
The Innovation SSI-2001 had a flawed design in the filter circuit.
470pF filters are the intended value (as used on a C64) while 1nF was used on the original SSI-2001 cards.
While it may not cause trouble or will not cause the chip to go bad, I assume going with the intended value is better.

Due to the manufacturing process of the 6581, pretty much every SID differs slightly in the analog parts.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 266 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

What's the difference between C64/6581 and DS/6581?

C64 - filter capacitor values from Commodore 64 schematics.
DS - filter capacitor values from DataSheet.

shock__ wrote:

While it may not cause trouble or will not cause the chip to go bad

Yep. I even run my 6581R4 without those caps at all (forgot them at one test 🤣 ) and SID performed just ok. Because not every *.SID music uses filter.

Reply 267 of 590, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you guys found a good source on SIDs or just browsing forums/ebay?
I thought I was OK and didn't pay attention to alternative chip sources... :\

Reply 268 of 590, by amigo-mexicano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

have you guys found a good source on SIDs or just browsing forums/ebay?
I thought I was OK and didn't pay attention to alternative chip sources... :\

From my own experience, two great sources for buying SIDs: right here, with user shock__ or in AmiBay forums, with user Exilent.

amigo-mexicano
www.videogamedose.com

Reply 269 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.de/itm/191209685438?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They're new, old stock produced near the end of commodore (Datecode implies they were made in December 1992). I've bought 11 from them so far and all worked flawlessly (voices and filters tested extensively in my C64).
Maybe ask them if they ship inside the EU? I've previously offered to pick them up as I live near their store, but will be on vacation soon-ish.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 270 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fagear wrote:
carlostex wrote:

What's the difference between C64/6581 and DS/6581?

C64 - filter capacitor values from Commodore 64 schematics.
DS - filter capacitor values from DataSheet.

I assume that you used C64 values then for my board and everybody else with 6581's, right?

Reply 271 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I assume that you used C64 values then for my board and everybody else with 6581's, right?

Nope. As long as it is "SSI-2001 replica" it uses the same 1nF caps as the original board did. As well as SID clock is set to 0.89Mhz by default.
You can modify your board as you want.

Reply 272 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fagear wrote:

Nope. As long as it is "SSI-2001 replica" it uses the same 1nF caps as the original board did. As well as SID clock is set to 0.89Mhz by default.
You can modify your board as you want.

OK i assume then that the default filtering capacitance is perfectly safe and won't damage the SID overtime.

Reply 273 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got some new parts for some more replicas. Starting to put everything together.

Reply 274 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some small updates. At least two users have got their boards already.
And 8580 SIDs are already in Moscow, on the way to me.
If someone gets his board, please report either to me or in this thread. If you'll have any questions - feel free to ask.

Reply 275 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still waiting for 6581's to arrive. One is apparently a pull from a C64 and the other i ordered from Hong Kong. Which was stupid as a day later i read an article about SID's coming from China are all defective.

Reply 276 of 590, by amigo-mexicano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also waiting for my cards to arrive. Not worried, since most packages from the other side of the globe, always take up to a month to get here. I'll let you know when they arrive.

In the meantime, I've managed to grab some deal on these 4 ISA cards, to use the brackets.

2vn5t2c.jpg

amigo-mexicano
www.videogamedose.com

Reply 277 of 590, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

I'm still waiting for 6581's to arrive. One is apparently a pull from a C64 and the other i ordered from Hong Kong. Which was stupid as a day later i read an article about SID's coming from China are all defective.

Same here. I ordered from China as well. Well, they cost 2 dollars each and I ordered several from multiple vendors. Hopefully one of them work!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 278 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Same here. I ordered from China as well. Well, they cost 2 dollars each and I ordered several from multiple vendors. Hopefully one of them work!

Read this.

Reply 279 of 590, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
vetz wrote:

Read this.

None of the ones I ordered had pictures with those dates. I checked that page before hand and did not order from vendors which had inventory matching those date codes.

Not saying all of them will work, but you never know 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes