VOGONS

Reply 480 of 590, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am currently testing a SSI-2001 I got borrowed from Shock.

Things I noticed:
- bristlehogs SID player sometimes bugs out at the start of a song and needs a song change e.g. from 1/1 to 1/1 that the song starts correct.
- the freq scaling on the SID player helps to compensate the different base clock, but it still sounds different (probably envelope curve also depends on base clock?)
- Windwalker needs parameters: it allows 'adlib cms innov covox tsnd psnd' for sound and 'cga c b&w rgb composite tv tandylow t160 ega ega16 ega64 vga high high4 egamono herc hercules tandy pcjr m25 m30 mcga m auto' for graphics.
- In Battle Chess 2 the SID is used only for digital SFX, probably played through the volume register (while music plays by pc speaker)
- Airball has to be started with airball.exe /inv. The game need a slow pc or you will die within 500ms. The SID is used only for simple sound effects
- Bad Blood uses it for Music
- Could not get Lord Of The Rings Volume 1 running with the Card. The game seems to use Miles Sound System ADV drivers and there is none for the Innovision.
- Joe Montana Football, Innovision can be set for SFX, (Music is then e.g. PC Speaker) The game plays a sample on the card at startup and SFX as samples in game.
- Super Jeopardy must be run with 'jeopardy i' to configure. I can set VGA, Digital On, Innovation Board, Setting A then the game starts and no audible sample playback (should be even audible on a 8580). When set to speaker it plays the jeopardy melody in an evil quality. Some effects always play through speaker such as the board filling.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 481 of 590, by cuba200611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The new version of the VICE C64 emulator now supports the Innovation SSI-2001. Here's the readme, where it says that SSI-2001 support has been added for both Windows and the *nix family (such as Linux or BSD): http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/NEWS

Reply 482 of 590, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, one should be aware that with a regular SSI-2001 clone you can not get the same sound as with a SID in the C64.
So even if frequency scaling is employed the different base clock makes it sound different. I have also to say that the employed freq scaling in bristlehogs player makes it always sound too dark. (wrong total in calculation?!?)
Maybe the more sophisticated clones with the correct base clock jumpering are sounding closer to a SID in a C64.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 483 of 590, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Well, one should be aware that with a regular SSI-2001 clone you can not get the same sound as with a SID in the C64.
So even if frequency scaling is employed the different base clock makes it sound different. I have also to say that the employed freq scaling in bristlehogs player makes it always sound too dark. (wrong total in calculation?!?)

I assure you that this player does not do any frequency scaling. Neither for oscillator, nor for filter cutoff. This was considered, as an experimental feature, but never implemented.
Only scaling that is being done is the performance scaling of the emulated C64 to the real hardware(with much smaller time granularity than most general purpose emulators do), in order to have commands sent exactly at the right moment. I wrote this code for old and new versions of the player.
With proper jumper settings and capacitors it is capable of completely simulating the sound of NTSC C64 (Except that no two C64 sound exactly the same especially when SID models/revisions/manufacturers differ). What it can't do is to simulate PAL timings.

Last edited by noop on 2017-01-23, 18:18. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 484 of 590, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cuba200611 wrote:

The new version of the VICE C64 emulator now supports the Innovation SSI-2001. Here's the readme, where it says that SSI-2001 support has been added for both Windows and the *nix family (such as Linux or BSD): http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/NEWS

I have a strong suspicion that more complex stuff, such as playing back sampled sound, won't work with this emulation. Would be nice if somebody confirmed.

Reply 485 of 590, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Could not get Lord Of The Rings Volume 1 running with the Card. The game seems to use Miles Sound System ADV drivers and there is none for the Innovation.

Miles Audio Interface Library had no driver(s) for Innovation SSI-2001, but I eventually made one(s): link.

Note that Miles Sound System is a much later successor of Audio Interface Library, it uses MDI and DIG drivers instead of ADV.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 486 of 590, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait a sec, how did I miss this? Is this a SB16 compatible SID card? :wow:

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 487 of 590, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any news on this one? 😀

Fagear wrote:
A little update on DuoSID (two SSI-2001 on one board). It is ready to be done in prototype version. […]
Show full quote

A little update on DuoSID (two SSI-2001 on one board).
It is ready to be done in prototype version.

twin_0.9_top.png
twin_0.9_bottom.png

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 488 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Any news on this one? 😀

It is semi-assembled. I'm waiting for some parts to arrive.

2017-04-11 22.13.19.jpg
Filename
2017-04-11 22.13.19.jpg
File size
547.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 489 of 590, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hell yeah! Is it appropriate to make reserves yet?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 490 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

Hell yeah! Is it appropriate to make reserves yet?

Not yet. I'm not sure that it will work at all. 🤣

Reply 491 of 590, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
I am currently testing a SSI-2001 I got borrowed from Shock. […]
Show full quote

I am currently testing a SSI-2001 I got borrowed from Shock.

Things I noticed:

[snip]
- Could not get Lord Of The Rings Volume 1 running with the Card. The game seems to use Miles Sound System ADV drivers and there are none for the Innovation.

You need the floppy version, not the CD-ROM version. The floppy version will allow you to choose it for sfx but not for music. The CD-ROM eliminates Tandy, MT-32, Game Blaster, Covox Sound Master and PC Speaker options and adds PAS, PAS16, Adlib Gold and Thunderboard support.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 492 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another DuoSID update:

2017-04-27 21.51.37.jpg
Filename
2017-04-27 21.51.37.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm waiting for some little parts to arrive and then I will test it if it will work or not at all.

Reply 494 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

6 years after originally opening the thread it has happened ... I got my original, authentic SSI-2001 - for free from the original developer 😀
http://i.imgur.com/FuyDVmg.jpg

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 495 of 590, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

6 years after originally opening the thread it has happened ... I got my original, authentic SSI-2001 - for free from the original developer 😀

Part of my investigations in the original SSI-2001 thread was to that end: I always figured that might be possible, if you could reach them. Congratulations 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 496 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

B-but how? Story please!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 497 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

😲
"Now you found it. Congratulations! Was it worth it?" (C) GLaDOS.
How does it compare to the replica in sound?
Does original developer know about the replica? And does he have any thoughts on it?

Reply 498 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I properly documented the items I got: http://imgur.com/a/WgBxZ
I've left out a page of the 6582(!) datasheet which included the pinout to avoid redundancy.

Enjoy.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 499 of 590, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank-you for sharing those documents, shock__.

From the cover page:

"It is the only sound board capable of human voice simulation, and now puts the MS-DOS class of personal computers on par with the Commodore and Amiga sound."

Presumably, the first part of the statement just refers to 4-bit PCM playback through the SID, used in combination with a software-based speech synthesizer. If so, this capability was neither unique to the Innovation card while it was being designed in 1988, nor when it was released in 1989.

The latter part of the statement, with respect to the Amiga, seems like blatant misrepresentation.

Did your source happen to mention how many SSI-2001 cards were produced/shipped, and in what timeframe? I'm also still curious to know whether there is any relationship between Innovation's SSI-2001 and Microprose's unreleased "Entertainer" card.