Innovation SSI 2001 re-engineering and/or conclusions

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Innovation SSI 2001 re-engineering and/or conclusions

Postby Tiido » 2018-8-16 @ 11:51

HASL will destroy the gold plating in the slots over time though galvanic corrosion. There is a lot of scientific information on the matter.

Other thing is that HASL plating is typically fair bit thicker than the board itself and from my experience (with game console cartridge slots) this alone is enough to make the connectors unreliable, I can see the gold layer buldozed off after just a few insertions and the exposed materials corrode quite quickly (within days I see discoloration already). After that point the game is likely to crash randomly or not run at all until I wiggle the board around in the slot a bit to dislodge the new corrosion on both the tin plated contact and the damaged original slot connector. The effects are permanent and the connector is never reliable again.
It helps that in a PC you usually leave the thing in the connector effectively permanently, with mechanical welding preventing some of the corrosion related problems happening but how well it lasts still depends on surrounding atmosphere and other factors.

Another thing is to have beveled egde, it will make the insertion cycles much more gentle on the connector. There's lot less downward compression force in the beginning of insertion for the contacts, instead the angled edge helps to push the contacts away so the board can slide in.
Tiido

Postby Great Hierophant » 2018-8-16 @ 14:30

I have read that HASL finishes can wear down to the copper in fewer than 100 insertions. A friend of mine and fellow forum member told me about a vintage card he acquired which had HASL finish on the edge connector. The guy who sold him the card had apparently removed the card in a way that the solder was smeared between fingers, requiring cleaning with a soldering iron to avoid issues with the solder bridging pins.

An ENIG and a Hard Gold finish eliminate issues with HASL and only need be applied to the contact pins. The difference between ENIG and Hard Gold is the thickness, in microns, of the gold used to cover the contact. ENIG boards can often withstand up to 1,000 insertions, and I think ENIG is appropriate for hobbyist cards. HASL is not.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog
Great Hierophant
l33t

Postby Fagear » 2018-8-16 @ 22:17

Tiido wrote:HASL will destroy the gold plating in the slots over time though galvanic corrosion. There is a lot of scientific information on the matter.

Great Hierophant wrote:I have read that HASL finishes can wear down to the copper in fewer than 100 insertions.

Well... I guess those 20 boards have to be scrapped then. :depressed:
Or I can offer those (with discount) to someone who doesn't care about slots on the motherboard. :lol:
If I have to order new boards I have to know how many to order though...

P.S. Do we need to open another thread about DuoSID or stay in the SSI-2001 replica? :confused:
Fagear

Postby Fagear » 2018-9-06 @ 18:34

An update.
While working on FMonster I've made several iterations of "building block" designes for parts of SSI-2001/DuoSID circuit.
And while I have to order new boards for production I thought: "what if I'll re-assemble DuoSID from those blocks now?".

Answer is...
DuoSID_0.9_top.png

The board will become significantly smaller!
DuoSID_2018-09-06_01.png

It is still a little bit larger than SSI-2001 replica, but not much! :cool:

Bonus: all jumpers are now at the top of the board for easy access and there is lowpass filter at the output to filter high-frequency harmonics above 20 kHz.
Minor downgrade: there are no more "mono-6-voices/stereo-3-voices" selectors and no line input. First, I think no one will use those features, second, those can be easily replicated by mixing in hardware or software.
Fagear

Postby Kaizzer » 2018-9-09 @ 22:13

Beautiful layout!
Kaizzer

Postby scg » 2018-9-23 @ 08:03

Stojke wrote:Is there an available working MS-DOS SID player for this card yet?

You can get DOS player here: https://stdio.ru/download/ssi-2001/osp2001-0.2.zip
And sources: https://stdio.ru/download/ssi-2001/osp2001-0.2-src.zip
scg

Postby Fagear » 2018-10-03 @ 11:26

While I'm preparing new version of the DuoSID, I've made a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQChS2w_CDk
Fagear

Postby matze79 » 2018-10-03 @ 13:33

Wow you do a nice job, making a PCB for every block etc. :)
https://www.dosreloaded.de - The German Retro DOS PC Community
https://www.retroianer.de
matze79
Oldbie

Postby Thermalwrong » 2018-10-08 @ 13:01

Thanks for the video of them playing, the 'pseudo stereo' effect of the duoSID works really nicely and it sounds very clean :)
Thermalwrong

Previous

Return to Sound