VOGONS

Reply 21 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, yeah I know what you mean. Only yesterday, I saw ratfink's photo featuring an awesome looking industrial P4 mobo with ISA slots, which make all of my "fast" mobos look slow!

Regarding "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", RG100 foams at the mouth and splutters "must test this!". Are there two versions of this game? One action, the other point and click? Also, I wonder if I buy this game online, will it have the correct DOS files needed for Gameblaster support?

Reply 22 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want the adventure game!

It's pretty deep though, well compared to some other games. A proper Lucasarts adventure and it fits nicely with the movie.

Now you can buy it on Steam, but I don't think this is the DOS version.

I have bought it, give me a moment to test.

Otherwise, buy the Steam pack and "source" the DOS version. I think that's fair. There are a ton of Lucasarts adventures on Steam...

To launch the game with various sound options:

For The Last Crusade: […]
Show full quote

For The Last Crusade:

D:\Games\Indy3>indy256 x
Options: 256 Version 3.0.22
k Keyboard
j Joystick
m Mouse
i Internal speaker
g Game Blaster(tm) sounds
a Adlib(tm) sounds

Update: It almost works in DOS, just needs 1 file to get going which is 00.lfl

Reply 23 of 38, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the pics guys. Interesting that they always seem to have the yamaha OPL chip scrubbed off so you can't identify it.

RG100 was that CMS game blaster an ebay win or did you dig it up somewhere else?

I've got the phillips chips to make my SB1.5 into a game blaster but I haven't bothered to open it yet... 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 24 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Gameblaster was bought through a lucky conversation I had with Vogons user Salient. I can't remember the exact conversation, but I asked him about a SB with CMS support, and he mentioned that he didn't have what I was after, but he did have a Gameblaster. I was grateful for this chance conversation, and bought it. In fact, I've bought a few things from him, all excellent quality, well packaged, great comms. Better than ebay!

Reply 25 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Sound Blaster 2.0 has arrived. It's model CT1350B revision 4. I don't know if this is a good version, or not. I'm having a few teething problems with it. I mentioned these problems here. Begin edit: problem now solved. End edit.

The sound quality is a bit rough. You guys were right - there's no compelling reason to own one of these things, if you have a SB Pro 2, CT1600. OTOH, it's the only 8-bit Creative sound card I have, so it's worth keeping. [Another Edit - I also have the CT1600 and that's 8-bit too. End edit]

Edit 2: I've changed my mind about the sound quality. It's not too bad at all.

PICT2177.JPG

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-04, 19:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 26 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran Quest for Glory 2, and selected Adlib instead of Sound Blaster. That worked. Previously, when I ran this game's installation options, I selected Sound Blaster, and that option could not detect the SB sound card hardware. ATM, I don't know why this is happening. Begin Edit: problem solved, solution was to use slower hardware. End Edit.

Anyway, here is a recording. Actually, it's not bad. I've changed my mind about this card. It's not as bad as I first thought. I think it would sound better if it wasn't quite so "shrill / treble sounding".

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-04-04, 11:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang...another one with a CT1350B...maybe time to start a SB1350B appreciation club? 😜 😜 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 38, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Dang...another one with a CT1350B...maybe time to start a SB1350B appreciation club? 😜 😜 😜

Hey, I got three of these...maybe I can become the president of that club 😁

One of them is with the C/MS chips

Dh150.JPG

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 29 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

I got three as well. Haven't fitted the CMS chips though, they stay in the box, as I got the 1.5's and they work just fine.

RG100 do you also get the "computer thinking" sound? I have this across all the 1.5 and 2.0 cards. Kinda like it, part of the experience 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 38, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Nice!

I got three as well. Haven't fitted the CMS chips though, they stay in the box, as I got the 1.5's and they work just fine.

RG100 do you also get the "computer thinking" sound? I have this across all the 1.5 and 2.0 cards. Kinda like it, part of the experience 🤣

I know 😉 I thought I only had the one with C/MS chips left when I had sold the SB's to you but when I went tru my boxes of cards in my basement recetly I found two more 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 32 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say "computer thinking" sound, do you mean a single "clunk" noise? If yes, then I do hear this sound. Oddly, when the SB's IRQ resource was set to IRQ 7, I don't think I heard this noise. I only heard this noise when I set the card's IRQ to 5. However, I haven't tested this card much, so I could be mistaken about this.

Are CM/S "upgrade" chips rare? I would like to upgrade my SB. 😀

Reply 33 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can hear things like HDD access.

The CMS chips for 2.0 (3 chips) are very rare. The CMS chips for 1.5 are easy to get and fairly cheap. So get a 1.5 if you want an easy upgrade to CMS.

But you can always pull out your GENUINE GAME BLASTER 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 38, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my old 166MMX rig, the "computer thinking" noise was induced in the CD-Audio cable. If I removed that cable, the computer thinking noise would be greatly decreased.

Of course, not having that cable in place was far more inconvenient...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 35 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang I only got 2! But at least I also got one very nice CT1350B box that looks like it's been in the washing machine 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm always amazed at the sheer number of different versions / revisions Creative produced.

Is there any documentation as to what changes these revisions contained?

My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno, but "a" soundblaster 64 is really not a soundblaster 64. My guess is Creative changed the revision numbers whenever they changed some chips on it. Also many oem parts received different CT numbers and/or revision numbers.

I've seen a couple lists of CT numbers (maybe wiki even has one) but there must be hundreds of different soundblasters made

Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 38, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to necro my own thread. On page 1, I show the reverse of an Adlib sound card. It's got a squiggle signature on it. Does anyone else have this? Is it unique? A one off perhaps? Thanks for checking.