PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Is there any practical use for an AD-AJ1 with out the MD-8X music tower?

The service manual says this, so it should appear as a wavetable in Windows 9x Multimedia control panel, if you have the drivers...

MIDI recordings can be played back with high fidelity sound due to the use of a Wavetable sound source. […]
Show full quote

MIDI recordings can be played back with
high fidelity sound due to the use of a
Wavetable sound source.
The “Wavetable sound source” used to play
back sounds is based on the data from samples
of actual instrument.
You can play MIDI files easily just by inserting
the card without needing to connect any
external sound source.

MIDI file and WAVE file playback are possible
on systems using Windows.
You can play music with MIDI files using other
applications. You can also play the WAVE files,
which are Windows standard music format.

Do you have the card? A picture would be great, and a dump of the floppies too...

The AD-AJ3 service manual says this instead:

You can play MIDI data easily by connecting this PC card to an audio system that has an optical digital input terminal, using […]
Show full quote

You can play MIDI data easily by connecting this
PC card to an audio system that has an optical
digital input terminal, using an optical digital
cable. No external sound source is needed.

That makes the AD-AJ1 actually better, adding a wavetable board in your laptop that probably only has a FM synthesis option for MIDI music by default, and not needing an audio system with a toslink input to hear the music.

nest_and_art wrote:
hi! i have a manual + original FloppyDisk from Sharp AD-AJ3 […]
Show full quote

hi!
i have a manual + original FloppyDisk from Sharp AD-AJ3

>>>Sharp_AD-AJ3.rar<<< 68 Mb

/FDD_WinImage/Sharp_AD-AJ43_winimage.imz --- Winimage of Original Flopy-Disk
/FDD_Disk --- files from Flopy Disk
/Manual_Sharp_AD-AJ3 --- Manual English only

Very cool! Thanks!

The AD-AJ3 card uses the EMU 8000 chip, like the TDK cards.
I suppose the AD-AJ1 does too.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 101 of 567, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw an AD-AJ1 for sale but it only has that proprietary output from what I can see (?) is it possible to try out its MIDI capabilities some other way?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 102 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The output is used to transfer midi music to the minidisc md-8x sound system.
I think you can use the card as a wavetable directly, outputting the sound through the laptop speakers.
Buy it and give it a try!

Reply 104 of 567, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As expected the card can not pass sound onto the internal sound card or laptop speakers.

Filename
SHARP AD-AJ1.zip
File size
1.1 MiB
Downloads
91 downloads
File comment
Sharp AD-AJ1 driver disks
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In other views, took one for the team (Although when assembled it´s barely noticeable it was disassembled):

WP_20171122_002.jpg
Filename
WP_20171122_002.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File comment
File license
WP_20171122_003.jpg
Filename
WP_20171122_003.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File comment
BOTTOM
File license

Id say from what I can see that the only difference between models would be the presence of the Crystal sound codec onboard, which means this card in its full edition is fully capable of generating an line level output.
The card it self contains an 512kB static RAM chip, which is confirmed to be used by the presence of an 241kB sound font on the first disk.
Would be nice if this were an at least 4MB capable sound card with actual outputs and not just for the Mini Disc player (As it says on the box - For MD-X8 exclusive).

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 106 of 567, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I got a quick question. I own a laptop, Dell D800, which I'm using for old games, including dos games. One problem: I can't get sound from the AC97 chip in pure dos. So I'm looking for some cheap pure-dos-friendly sound card for PCMCIA. Can you name it? I'll be looking for it on eBay.

Dell Latitude D800
Screen: 15,9 - 1680x1050
CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor 1.60 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go (Forceware 67.42)
-- OpenGL version maximum version 1.5
-- DirectX version maximum version 8.1
RAM: 1Gb DDR-SDRAM (PC2700)
Chipset: Intel i855PM + 82801DB (ICH4-M)
Audio: SigmaTel AC97 (AC9750/51)
HDD: Hitachi HTS541680J9AT00
DVD: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N
PCMCIA: Texas Instrument PCI7510 CardBus Controller

Reply 107 of 567, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NilsWorld wrote:

- Digital Audio Adapter 16 bit Audio, rebranded IBM PCMCIA Sound Card.

I have that same card. I got it working just fine in Windows, but not in DOS. I'll have to try those IBM drivers and see if I have any luck.

Reply 108 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that same card. I got it working just fine in Windows, but not in DOS. I'll have to try those IBM drivers and see if I have any luck.[/quote]

vorob wrote:

Hi, I got a quick question. I own a laptop, Dell D800, which I'm using for old games, including dos games. One problem: I can't get sound from the AC97 chip in pure dos. So I'm looking for some cheap pure-dos-friendly sound card for PCMCIA. Can you name it? I'll be looking for it on eBay.

It depends what use you want from it under DOS, Adlib FM only, relatively rare, Adlib and SB digital audio, near impossible to find, GM or Roland GS, easiest to find, and all are expensive.
Your best bet right now would be an OPL2LPT device for your parallel port.

Asaki wrote:
NilsWorld wrote:

- Digital Audio Adapter 16 bit Audio, rebranded IBM PCMCIA Sound Card.

I have that same card. I got it working just fine in Windows, but not in DOS. I'll have to try those IBM drivers and see if I have any luck.

That card only works in DOS for supported software, like the included on the drivers disk PCDEMO.EXE wav and midi player, there's no Adlib FM compatibility.

Reply 109 of 567, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a used Panasonic KXL-D721 which I hoped to use with a Toshiba T4900CT I was restoring ..
The Laptop is now working but since I have no experience of external CD devices I am struggling to get the 2 units working together.
I did pop in the pcmcia card (scsi I assume) and windows 95 ..which is running on the T4900CT asked for the floppy driver disk..
Which I gave it ..and 95 doesn't complain any longer.
What is my Panasonic KXL capable of ..and is it compatible with Win95.
Should I be able to treat the CD as a drive D: in windows ?
Basically the pcmcia card is recognised ..but that is it ..
beyond that ..nothing.
perhaps I can only use the Pnany from DOS ?
help and advice welcomed.
rgds
VS
I've attched a zip of the floppy contents ..which is not labeled D721 ...but actually KXL-D740 ..which I find curious..but that is what came with the Panny

Attachments

• Filename
    KXL-D740.zip
    File size
    76.35 KiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File license
  • DSCF0031.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0031.JPG
    File size
    310.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 111 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago I bought this KXL-D745 card which is defective, not recognized by any computer I tried it in, a problem with the tuple data perhaps, so I opened it to take pictures (scans actually) of the inside:

kxl-d745 pcmcia top.jpg
Filename
kxl-d745 pcmcia top.jpg
File size
304.06 KiB
Views
File license
kxl-d745 pcmcia bottom.jpg
Filename
kxl-d745 pcmcia bottom.jpg
File size
288.78 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 115 of 567, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some fantastic info in this thread!

I have a fairly contemporary laptop with both expresscard and pc card slots, both of which are currently vacant. I'm looking for a high quality sound card BUT I would really like one that is flush with the edge of the socket or basically doesn't stick out and if possible it'd be even better if it didn't need a dongle. The Panasonic cards listed on page 1 have this feature and I feel like this is such an obvious benefit, I'm surprised more cards aren't like that. Anyway I couldn't find that card for sale so no dice.

Are there any recommendations for a good flush mounted card that works with the internal speakers/ports or at the very least, one that is flush and doens't need a dongle because the jacks are on the edge? I have XP32 and 7 on my machine so as long as the card works on XP, I don't care about 7 so much.

Thanks!

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 116 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:
Some fantastic info in this thread! […]
Show full quote

Some fantastic info in this thread!

I have a fairly contemporary laptop with both expresscard and pc card slots, both of which are currently vacant. I'm looking for a high quality sound card BUT I would really like one that is flush with the edge of the socket or basically doesn't stick out and if possible it'd be even better if it didn't need a dongle. The Panasonic cards listed on page 1 have this feature and I feel like this is such an obvious benefit, I'm surprised more cards aren't like that. Anyway I couldn't find that card for sale so no dice.

Are there any recommendations for a good flush mounted card that works with the internal speakers/ports or at the very least, one that is flush and doens't need a dongle because the jacks are on the edge? I have XP32 and 7 on my machine so as long as the card works on XP, I don't care about 7 so much.

Thanks!

None of the PCMCIA 16bit cards work under XP, except for the Wami BOx on page 1 but it comes with a large breakout box.
The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook might be acceptable to you, it sticks out a bit but it has analog/optical in/out on the edge, and it's very common on ebay.

Reply 117 of 567, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

None of the PCMCIA 16bit cards work under XP, except for the Wami BOx on page 1 but it comes with a large breakout box.
The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook might be acceptable to you, it sticks out a bit but it has analog/optical in/out on the edge, and it's very common on ebay.

That card would seem to excel where overall performance is concerned. I may ultimately end up going with it as you suggest.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 118 of 567, by szivan_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Forum Members!

I have an old Digital HiNote CT450 (486 DX2 66, 8 MB RAM etc.) laptop, but it hasn't got any integrated sound card. For a few weeks ago I bought a WaMi Box PCMCIA card with all of accessories, but it has only sound (via DirectSound) in the installed Win95. Winamp, system sounds working, but the card doesn't appear as a "normal" sound card (as a generic wave device) - maybe it's a professional audio device. Has anybody use it with success for old DOS games and if yes, which was the right configuration (ie. SET BLASTER settings...)?

Thanks for any reply!

(p.s. for some posts ago, somebody wrote that it works in Windows XP with Doom, Duke Nukem, Descent...)

Reply 119 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
szivan_ wrote:
Dear Forum Members! […]
Show full quote

Dear Forum Members!

I have an old Digital HiNote CT450 (486 DX2 66, 8 MB RAM etc.) laptop, but it hasn't got any integrated sound card. For a few weeks ago I bought a WaMi Box PCMCIA card with all of accessories, but it has only sound (via DirectSound) in the installed Win95. Winamp, system sounds working, but the card doesn't appear as a "normal" sound card (as a generic wave device) - maybe it's a professional audio device. Has anybody use it with success for old DOS games and if yes, which was the right configuration (ie. SET BLASTER settings...)?

Thanks for any reply!

(p.s. for some posts ago, somebody wrote that it works in Windows XP with Doom, Duke Nukem, Descent...)

The manual says that the minimum required CPU is a Pentium 166MMX, but who knows if that is correct. It is more of a professional audio device, but it does have built in wavetable and it is also a sampler. According to the manual, you can also use it as a sound module.

I don't think you are going to get DOS sound through it unless you use vdmsound.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK