VOGONS

PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a good question, the MC-8000 DOS driver can recognize the DMC-9000 (with some editing), but the games I tried didn't recognize it as a valid mpu-401 device then...so, maybe, but probably not.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 141 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Yamaha pcc10xg card recently.
yamaha.jpg
It's not DOS compatible. But I'm wondering if it's possible to use it as external MIDI device plugged in a different laptop with windows 95. I.e. connect Gameport of a DOS PC to MIDI In of the Yamaha card and get sound from it.
What do you think?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 142 of 576, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it should be possible to do that, since it's basically a MIDI module in PCMCIA form. Likely both computers must be on for it to work though.

Reply 143 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yawetaG, thanks for confirming my thoughts.
BTW this card can output sound through built in laptop speakers (without dongle) which is a nice feature.

Also in the drivers pack it's mentioned that they support DOS/V. DOS/V is DOS that supports japanese language. Does this mean that the card is supported in Windows DOS session? Or? There is no mention of this in the manual. Does anyone have any ideas?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 144 of 576, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote:

yawetaG, thanks for confirming my thoughts.
BTW this card can output sound through built in laptop speakers (without dongle) which is a nice feature.

Also in the drivers pack it's mentioned that they support DOS/V. DOS/V is DOS that supports japanese language. Does this mean that the card is supported in Windows DOS session? Or? There is no mention of this in the manual. Does anyone have any ideas?

You would have to try (DOS/V is the x86 version). It might work, but just as well it won't if it expects Japanese fonts to be present (and unfortunately on older versions of Windows getting full support is not just a matter of installing a font pack - you really need to use a native system).

If your Windows is Win 9x or higher it might also use the Windows drivers instead.

Reply 145 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing is that on yamaha web site is says "PCC10XG Driver for DOS/V (Windows 98/95)" And it doesn't really make sense to me 😉
https://web.archive.org/web/20140904232208/ht … duct_id=1041633
And here are the drivers. Only 4 files, looks like these are Windows drivers and there is only windows installation described in the manual.
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … ers/pccdosv.zip

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 146 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What Yamaha means is the card had drivers for Windows 9x on the Dos/V platform only, and not on the PC-98.
That card definitely doesn't have any DOS support.

Reply 148 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can see on the Yamaha website drivers for both DOS/V and NEC PC-98, I made a mistake not checking the link before posting earlier.
They were on the original floppy that came with the card as well.

Reply 150 of 576, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote:

Do you guys know if Turtle Beach Audio Advantage PCMCIA card has any DOS support?

This site says it does.. but the files are no longer there:
https://www.solodrivers.com/en/driver/5758/So … Audio-Advantage

And here are the Windows 3.1 drivers and what looks like instructions to get it working in Windows 95. (These should be for DOS as well - see below)
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … ntage%20PCMCIA/

Do you have access to the driver disks or anything? If so, we would like to get a copy to put them up on vogonsdrivers.

Edit: Finally found the archived page for the voyetra/tb drivers download page that lists the Audio Advantage PCMCIA.
The downloads above are the ones for DOS/Win3.1
http://web.archive.org/web/20000930152235/htt … _ftp/520ftp.asp

Edit2: However, if you look on the FAQs page, it says that it will not work with DOS games:
http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/kb_ftp/520.asp

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 151 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot for the information. I've found this card for sale. But since there is no DOS support It's not really worth the price that the seler asks.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 152 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did not find any info about Panasonic CF-VEW213P. Obviously it's in the same line with 211 and 212. But my main question is whether it has DOS support. Looking at the drivers would help, but I did not find any. Does anyone have the drivers or any information about this card?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 153 of 576, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NilsWorld wrote:
I will try to get one of these old Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM readers with a sound function. […]
Show full quote

I will try to get one of these old Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM readers with a sound function.

Can you give me a list of the models with sound function ?
- Panasonic KXL-D745
- Panasonic KXL D-20

Since no one ever answered this one:

- Panasonic KXL-D720 and KXL-D721 support WAVE playback/recording, MIDI, FM in Windows, and Adlib in DOS (spec sheet here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/busines … ets/kxld720.pdf). Separate speakers, sold both with them and without them.
- Panasonic KXL-D745 supports the same (spec sheet: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/busines … ets/kxld745.pdf). Has integrated speakers in the CD-ROM unit.
- Panasonic KXL-783A (mac version KXL-783M) supports FM in Windows and Adlib in DOS (spec sheet: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/busines … ets/kxl783a.pdf). Has integrated speakers in the CD-ROM unit.

Reply 154 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote:

Did not find any info about Panasonic CF-VEW213P. Obviously it's in the same line with 211 and 212. But my main question is whether it has DOS support. Looking at the drivers would help, but I did not find any. Does anyone have the drivers or any information about this card?

The CF-VEW213P only supports the japanese PC-98 platform under DOS and Windows 9x.

cfvew213p-box.jpg
Filename
cfvew213p-box.jpg
File size
32.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
vew213.zip
File size
147.71 KiB
Downloads
91 downloads
File license

Reply 155 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

The CF-VEW213P only supports the japanese PC-98 platform under DOS and Windows 9x.

Thanks a million!

BTW is there a way to read japanese .txt files? Online decoders did not work, and I did not find any program that would display them corectly. I suspect there is a lot of useful informatio in these readme files, but I can't get any readable japanese text.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 156 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It kinda works under Windows 9x on an IBM PC compatible machine for digital audio, but it's not that good in such a computer.
Really you'd need a portable pc-98 of some kind to have any use for it.

Your browser should be able to display japanese text correctly...

Filename
CFVEW213-readme-en.txt
File size
31.07 KiB
Downloads
76 downloads
File license

Reply 157 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

... the Wavjammer as a good number of DOS late 486/early Pentium era games have direct support for it..

I was trying to find games that actually support the Wavjammer card.
As I understood theese are games that have AIL/Miles Sound System support:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-en … ffset,25/so,1d/
But none of the games I tried from this list has anything like that in setup. I tried more than 10 games.
An I looking in a wrong list? Or?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 158 of 576, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote:
I was trying to find games that actually support the Wavjammer card. As I understood theese are games that have AIL/Miles Sound […]
Show full quote
lolo799 wrote:

... the Wavjammer as a good number of DOS late 486/early Pentium era games have direct support for it..

I was trying to find games that actually support the Wavjammer card.
As I understood theese are games that have AIL/Miles Sound System support:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-en … ffset,25/so,1d/
But none of the games I tried from this list has anything like that in setup. I tried more than 10 games.
An I looking in a wrong list? Or?

I have a boxed wavejammer card. Pretty sure there is a list of some of the games that have support for it.

That being said, there is supposed to be a lot more games that support it than is in that dinky little list on Mobygames.

But.. the way AIL / Miles Sound System works is that all you need to make any game work with the soundcard of your choice is the "configuration" file for that sound card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 159 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I have a boxed wavejammer card. Pretty sure there is a list of some of the games that have support for it.

That being said, there is supposed to be a lot more games that support it than is in that dinky little list on Mobygames.

But.. the way AIL / Miles Sound System works is that all you need to make any game work with the soundcard of your choice is the "configuration" file for that sound card.

My understanding was that wavjammer card supported Adlib in any game that does Adlib (most, if not all DOS games) and in addition to that there was a number of games that support wavjammer directly (for digital souund). Is this correct?
Frankly I did not quite get your poitn re AIL / Miles Sound System. Usually there is a choice of sound devices in the setup.exe of a game. And I was looking for wavjammer/Ail MSS there.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart