Driver
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 567, by NilsWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody,
I'm looking for one of these cards to give sound to a vintage laptop Compaq Contura Aero.

Somebody can tell me where I can buy one or sell me one ? I'll pay the price to get one.

Thanks a lot.
NilsWorld.

Reply 42 of 567, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello! Your best bet is Ebay, use terms like PCMCIA audio, laptop audio card, stuff like that. Also search for specific product names which you could use some of the examples posted in this thread to do. Good luck and happy retro gaming!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 43 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ODWilly is right that the best option is ebay, but you will really have to be diligent and patient. You will need to do your research and setup about 50 searches that notify you when a match happens. I have it on my list to update this thread with images of what I've picked up lately...need to get that done.

Reply 44 of 567, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly. A while ago I posted in the ebay thread about an AD-AJ3 I found on German ebay and also a link to a German shop which had another one without drivers. Both are sold now.
I found an SCP-55 on another classifieds site.
The only thing that is available easily is Soundblaster Audigy ZS notebook, but that is CardBus and not PCMCIA, also it will probably only run under XP, not 9x.

@NilsWorld: Do you want to use the sound in DOS or Windows? (3.x / 9x?)
I don't know if the PCMCIA cards will work in pure DOS.
Perhaps you should start with a Covox clone or build one yourself, since the Aero has a parallel port.

Reply 45 of 567, by NilsWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I want to use the card in pure DOS but also in Widnows 3.1 or 95. I already have a Covox speech thing clone (from a spanish website : retrocables.es) but there are only few games which work with that.

Reply 46 of 567, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KJason wrote:
Hello guys, […]
Show full quote

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me if the EMU8000 (TDK, others?) cards are useable in Impulse Tracker with the AWE32/64 driver? (it -s6)
The reason I suspect this *might* work is IT relies on its own routines to detect/run the EMU8000 and seems not to need most DOS drivers. It theoretically might be compatible as long as you can set the card to a suitable base address (620h).

If someone cares to give it a shot I'd be pretty grateful. Thanks!

I'm still curious to the answer of this, if anyone wants to give it a try. ^^ That was me posting on my old account.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 47 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
KJason wrote:
Hello guys, […]
Show full quote

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me if the EMU8000 (TDK, others?) cards are useable in Impulse Tracker with the AWE32/64 driver? (it -s6)
The reason I suspect this *might* work is IT relies on its own routines to detect/run the EMU8000 and seems not to need most DOS drivers. It theoretically might be compatible as long as you can set the card to a suitable base address (620h).

If someone cares to give it a shot I'd be pretty grateful. Thanks!

I'm still curious to the answer of this, if anyone wants to give it a try. ^^ That was me posting on my old account.

I think I tried at some point but I don't remember for sure, probably didn't work...I'll try again for sure.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 48 of 567, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

very informative thread.. thank u to lolo799 + others for sharing here !

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 49 of 567, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I'm new here, but lolo799 I'm wondering if you still have any of those old sound cards, and whether you're interested in selling one.
I need it for my Toshiba T1960 laptop; I'm trying to build the ultimate 486 DOS machine, and the next step is a sound card.
I've been keeping an eye on Ebay for a few months, with no luck. I'm interested in the New Media Gamejammer,
mostly because of the internal speaker and joystick port, but any of them would work really as long as it has
SB 2.0+ and FM emulation in pure DOS.
Sorry to bother you but I hope you can help me!
You can reply to this post, or shoot me a PM if you want.
Thanks!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 50 of 567, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know the current state of the OP's collection but I have since inherited his rare "IBM 3D Sound Card".

I also own the following PCMCIA sound cards:
* Panasonic Sound Card CF-VEW211
* Turtle Beach Audio Advantage (boxed)
* New Media WAVjammer (empty box w/manual and disks)

I am selling the Turtle Beach if someone wan'ts to PM me about it. I wouldn't mind parting with the empty WAVjammer box either.

Funny story about the WAVjammer box. I bought it off of ebay and when I got it the box was empty! The seller hadn't even checked before listing it. I did get a refund and got to keep the box. 🤣

Reply 51 of 567, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny story about the WAVjammer box. I bought it off of ebay and when I got it the box was empty! The seller hadn't even checked before listing it. I did get a refund and got to keep the box. 🤣

Ha ha! Great story. It's always something with Ebay... I bought a turntable once. The guy said it was "in great working condition." Got the box, opened it up, plugged it in, and it said "CLICK-HUMMMMMMMM" and wouldn't play the record. Great working condition.

Is the Turtle Beach card a PCMCIA 2.0 and not a Cardbus deal?
If it is, I might be interested in it. It also has to have SB and FM emulation in DOS.
Maybe you could post a photo?
Thanks for replying!

Reply 52 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GameJammer isn't very good from what I read elsewhere, and isn't supported in games except for the FM part, contrary to the Wavjammer.
All the cards here are 16bit, not Cardbus.
Kahenraz, you also have the CF-VEW211 I owned iirc.
keenmaster486, I sent you a PM.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 53 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:

I don't know the current state of the OP's collection but I have since inherited his rare "IBM 3D Sound Card".

What I would have given for that IBM 3D Sound.... He wasnt selling it at the time when I asked him. Maybe a million dollars (Dr. Evil pinky grin).

Reply 54 of 567, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have somewhere 2 PCMCIA SCSI/sound cards that came with external SCSI CDROM units, Panasonic KXL-D745. I don't have pictures of them, and they're somewhere in my stack of old stuff probably 10s of other boxes somewhere.
Here's a product brief for it: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/busines … ets/kxld745.pdf
Amd manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXLD745.PDF

Now to be honest I never used the sound portion of the adapter card, but only the SCSI in conjunction with the CDROM and other SCSI devices. That is because my laptop at the time was a Thinkpad 755cx, which had sound built-in (the infamous Mwave sound+modem combo). Every time I would use the PCMCIA card with it I would have to disable the sound part of it in device manager (win95) or else it would conflict with the mwave. The mwave could not be disabled completely, and even if it did it would have left me without a modem which was required at the time. Other than that the combo worked well and allowed me to use a CDROM with that laptop which didn't have a built-in one.

Fun fact, the CDROM unit could be completely detached and used as a portable music player/walkman. 😀 But it would eat through batteries like nobody's business.

I'm attaching an archive of the drivers for this unit. It contains a self-extracting exe file with the DOS/win3.1/win95 driver files and readmes.

Attachments

• Filename
    745SETUP.7z
    File size
    538.92 KiB
    Downloads
    165 downloads
    File license

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 55 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's awesome! I keep meaning to make disk images of mine, photograph everything and post it all up here...where to find the time. Here is a quick one of a new in box KXL-D745 (except I tested it out, so I guess not so new now). A KXL-D720 sound kit boxed. Also a KXL-D720 with sound kit (missing the pcmcia card). The 745 has speakers built in where the 721 does not.

Attachments

• KXL-D745.jpg
    Filename
    KXL-D745.jpg
    File size
    97.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    KXL-D745
    File license
  • KXL-D720.jpg
    Filename
    KXL-D720.jpg
    File size
    85.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    KXL-D720
    File license
  • KXL-D721.jpg
    Filename
    KXL-D721.jpg
    File size
    103.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    KXL-D721
    File license

Reply 56 of 567, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow - that's all very cool. But I don't think the external CD player and speakers is really my thing 😉
Do these Panasonic cards have other dongles that don't attach to the CD player, and just have a headphones out or something? And what about joystick ports - do they have those? Thanks for replying by the way 😀

EDIT: Ooh, I think I see a dongle just like that in the last picture there... Memo to self: read all of posts before replying.

Reply 57 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Panasonic sound cards are not going to do SB emulation in pure dos, you're only going to get adlib music. If someone knows a magic trick to get both to work please do let me know! I think you will be hard pressed to find a pcmcia card that does both of those and has a gameport...actually it will be hard to get one with a gameport at all. It may be possible to find a pcmcia gameport though. Here is the picture of one I picked up some years back.

Attachments

• gameport.jpg
    Filename
    gameport.jpg
    File size
    66.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    New Media Gameport
    File license

Reply 58 of 567, by NilsWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try to get one of these old Panasonic PCMCIA CD-ROM readers with a sound function.

Can you give me a list of the models with sound function ?
- Panasonic KXL-D745
- Panasonic KXL D-20

Reply 59 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're not playing any dos games (or probably any games) with this, but someone might like it. This is not for sale by me, just something I saw. TDK 9000 boxed, looks to be in Japanese.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id= … 3788060&alt=web