VOGONS

Adlib & GUS - Can they Conflict?

Topic actions

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Adlib chip sits at I/O 388/389. The Gravis Ultrasound cards also use those I/O addresses to emulate the Adlib in S-BOS. As I understand it, normally the Adlib emulation is totally disabled unless S-BOS is installed. Mega-Em emulates Roland and the digital functions of a Sound Blaster, but not FM Synthesis. S-BOS emulates a full Sound Blaster.

Suppose you had an Adlib or Sound Blaster in a system and a GUS. Naturally you would wish to use the Adlib/Sound Blaster for all FM music. Most games detect the Adlib chip and complain if they cannot find one. I assume the Ultrasound ACE had an FM/Adlib disable jumper to avert any potential conflicts with an Adlib or Sound Blaster, as the card was designed to work alongside one of these cards. But the other GUS cards do not.

Has anyone ever had a problem like failing to locate the FM chip which was solved by removing the non-ACE GUS from their system?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 31, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kind of, and I'm not sure how much this will help...

In my 486, I have an MPU-IPC-T, a GUS Classic 3.4, and an SB Pro2. I don't use SBOS or MegaEm, just UltraInit.

If I play a game or program with GUS support (eg Jazz Jackrabbit or Inertia Player), then exit and try to run a game that uses AdLib (eg Commander Keen 4+ or Wolfenstein 3D), they won't have any sound.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete solves that though, I don't need to remove the card.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been having this problem myself.

Right now i have 3 ISA cards in my system:

SB Pro 2 - A220 I5 D1
SB AWE64 Gold - A240 I9 D3 H5 P330
GUS Classic - A260 7,7,7,7

I have nothing on the autoexec.bat, i use .bat files to initialize each card. When i turn on my PC, and i try to play Duke 3D or Wolf3D my SB Pro won't be detected. I was expecting that at least even without initializing the SB Pro 2, AdLib would still be detected by Wolf3D. So i initialize it and Wolf3D still does not detect it. Neither does Duke 3D, which insists it cannot detect a FM chip on the system.

So... I initialize my Ultrasound and... boom... Suddenly SB Pro 2 is detected and everything is working fine. I'm gonna go to bed now, but tomorrow i will be doing some tests like removing the GUS Classic and then try with a GUS ACE which gives the option via jumper to disable AdLib port. Not only i'm gonna try it with the AdLib port disable on the ACE, i'm also gonna try with the port enabled just to see if i get the same behaviour as i did with the GUS classic.

BTW, the reason why i have the AWE64 on IRQ9 is to use it with SoftMPU, that way i can cover for games that require interrupts. Plus i can have EMU8000 synth on games that support it.

Reply 3 of 31, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a GUS and AWE64 Gold (and YMF718) in the same system too, not had any problems with Adlib - it comes out of the AWE64 and YMF card at the same time.

You may be right that Adlib won't work until ULTRINIT is run, I'll give it a go later on.

Reply 4 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

I have a GUS and AWE64 Gold (and YMF718) in the same system too, not had any problems with Adlib - it comes out of the AWE64 and YMF card at the same time.

You may be right that Adlib won't work until ULTRINIT is run, I'll give it a go later on.

I'm gonna do some tests today. This might vary a little bit from system to system, but my best guess is that there can be small conflicts when using GUS and AdLib/SB on every system, because of port trapping.

Reply 5 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what i could find with the GUS cards i have:

GUS Classic:

Without initializing the GUS traps the joystick ports and the AdLib port.

Initializing the card does return everything to normal.

Obviously physically removing the GUS will solve the problem too.

GUS ACE:

By disabling AdLib port with jumper the AdLib port won't be trapped even if you don't initialise the GUS. The Joystick port will be trapped regardless of initializing or not unless you use Ultrinit 2.26a.

Reply 6 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some GUSes and didn't noticed such problem since now.
But could you specify your setup a bit more in detail?

Which GUS revision are you using?
Which parameters do you give ultrinit ? (f.e. do you use for the joystick -ej or -dj ?)
Where do you load ultrinit and when do you initialize the other cards?
Have you disabled Adlib 388/389 via PnP on the AWE64?
Or do you have several OPLs enabled on the same ports?

I doubt an ISA card can trap a port write in hardware such that another ISA card in the same bus does not see writes to the same port if it is listening there. The problems source must be somewhere else.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both revisions 2.4 and 3.4 have the same problem on my system.

My ultrinit setting has -dj only.

I load ultrinit on a batch file just like the other cards. Whatever order i initialize the problems remain.

I edited ctpnp.cfg and gave the AWE64 398 port for AdLib, as far as i know i can't disable adlib without disabling the sound blaster portion of the card, which i need for SoftMPU. With the AdLib port on 398 the AWE64 does not play along with other cards, which is what i want since i don't like CQM.

The only OPL on port 388h is SB Pro 2. Like i mentioned AWE64 is enabled but on 398h.

Whatever the case is, the problem still persists if i remove the AWE64 Gold card. Even if i replace the AWE64 for an original AdLib the problem is the same, Adlib and Sound Blaster Pro won't play on 388h and games like Duke 3D will say it cannot detect a FM chip.

If i initialize the GUS then both the AdLib and SB Pro 2 will play FM music and games will detect the cards just fine. The SB Pro2 doesn't even need initialization for FM sound if i remove the GUS physically from the system.

For instance with the AdLib test driver i'll have both the AdLib and SB Pro 2 playing FM. If i put the GUS back on and don't initialise it the test program will say that an AdLib card is not present.

Reply 9 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

My GUS classic also hogs port 388 when not initialized. I've been using it for decades and never realized this.

I think it's quite probable this problem was un noticed. Since most people were probably initializing all the cards at once on autoexec.bat made this a non issue. I started having this problem as soon as i removed the GUS from initializing on autoexec.bat, and never cared too much about it because i initialized the GUS manually everytime i booted anyway. When i bought the ACE and found it had a jumper to disable AdLib port i had a lightbulb moment.

The good thing is that initializing the GUS is not a big problem anyway and there are no further conflicts so this is just a minor annoyance.

I would like to test other cards though, the GUS MAX and even the PnP ones. Unfortunately i don't own any of those.

Reply 10 of 31, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

When i bought the ACE and found it had a jumper to disable AdLib port i had a lightbulb moment.

The ACE also hogs the standard joystick port address without even having a joystick connector. 🤣 It can only be disabled by initializing the card with a specific version of ultrainit (see this thread for details).

carlostex wrote:

I would like to test other cards though, the GUS MAX and even the PnP ones. Unfortunately i don't own any of those.

My GUS PnP cards don't exhibit the problem, but then again they're not based on the GF1 chip.

Reply 11 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
carlostex wrote:

When i bought the ACE and found it had a jumper to disable AdLib port i had a lightbulb moment.

The ACE also hogs the standard joystick port address without even having a joystick connector. 🤣 It can only be disabled by initializing the card with a specific version of ultrainit (see this thread for details).

Yes i noticed that too in my tests, look on the posts above. Ultrinit 2.26a is what one needs.

Reply 12 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tested with a system with a Aztech Sound Galaxy NX II and a Primax Music Sound and Adlib works after coldboot with no initialization at all.
So maybe this problem does not apply to all GUS versions?

Ok I tested another system with a GUS 2.4 and a EWS64XL and could reproduce the Adlib issue. However once you call ultrinit (I use 2.31) FM works, even when doing a coldboot later. So it seems that this appears only on power up when not initialized. (btw GUS ramdrive stays also intact on coldboot).

edit: I rechecked on the Primax Music Sound and there it works already after power up. So not all GUSses have this problem.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 13 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
I just tested with a system with a Aztech Sound Galaxy NX II and a Primax Music Sound and Adlib works after coldboot with no ini […]
Show full quote

I just tested with a system with a Aztech Sound Galaxy NX II and a Primax Music Sound and Adlib works after coldboot with no initialization at all.
So maybe this problem does not apply to all GUS versions?

Ok I tested another system with a GUS 2.4 and a EWS64XL and could reproduce the Adlib issue. However once you call ultrinit (I use 2.31) FM works, even when doing a coldboot later. So it seems that this appears only on power up when not initialized. (btw GUS ramdrive stays also intact on coldboot).

edit: I rechecked on the Primax Music Sound and there it works already after power up. So not all GUSses have this problem.

Yes the problem is present on all original GUSes with GF1 chip. This problem was probably well known and whoever cloned a GUS made sure this problem wouldn't go on their card. I suppose your Primax Music Sound is based on a GF1 chip?

Reply 14 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the Primax Music Sound and Primax Altra Sound are GUS clones, later sold by Gravis as GUS CD3. The main difference is that they have a mixer chip, CD-ROM interfaces and can be upgraded with a 512 kB memory chip (f.e. from an old graphics card).
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/primax … music_sound.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/%7Eenigma/neu/pics/Prim … _Altrasound.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/%7Eenigma/neu/pics/gus.jpg
The M16C (Altra Sound) has the IDE interface in addition to the M16B (Music Sound) and the AltraSound has printed the complete Jumper Setting Tables on the back side of the card.
The Revision is 3.7.

Youtube Channel

Reply 15 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm the Altra Sound seems to be quite a card. I guess i have to find one of those for me. How does it compare with a GUS classic sound quality wise, signal to noise ratio etc? What about compatibility? I suppose not all clone cards are 100% compatible.

Reply 16 of 31, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't noticed any compatibility problems. For the SNR I don't have the equipment at home to measure values for comparison.

Youtube Channel

Reply 17 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I didn't noticed any compatibility problems. For the SNR I don't have the equipment at home to measure values for comparison.

That's good enough for me i'm gonna be on the hunt for one.

Reply 18 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
Yes the Primax Music Sound and Primax Altra Sound are GUS clones, later sold by Gravis as GUS CD3. The main difference is that t […]
Show full quote

Yes the Primax Music Sound and Primax Altra Sound are GUS clones, later sold by Gravis as GUS CD3. The main difference is that they have a mixer chip, CD-ROM interfaces and can be upgraded with a 512 kB memory chip (f.e. from an old graphics card).
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/primax … music_sound.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/%7Eenigma/neu/pics/Prim … _Altrasound.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/%7Eenigma/neu/pics/gus.jpg
The M16C (Altra Sound) has the IDE interface in addition to the M16B (Music Sound) and the AltraSound has printed the complete Jumper Setting Tables on the back side of the card.
The Revision is 3.7.

I have bought a Primax M16C card and I have tested with my Adlib remake card and the Adlib not works after coldboot with no initialization (with initialization Adlib works of course).

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 19 of 31, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone with an Ultrasound Ace identify what the Adlib port disable jumper connects to ?

Maybe we can retrofit this to earlier full Ultrasound cards.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3