User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kirikl wrote:

Does SC-55ST have a battery?

Try opening your unit. OR better yet, try actually reading this thread. 😁

no it doesn't

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 103 of 416, by kirikl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But for what? It is ROM based module. I don't think it is battery inisde

GA-5AX/k6-3+ 600mhz
XT Turbo 10mhz
HP TC4200 / NC6400
Sony Vaio PCG-SRX99 / PCG-505TR / C1 Picturebook
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL / LTE 5000
Toshiba T1100+ / T3100e/40 / T3200SXC
Tandy 1400 LT / 1000HX
PB G4 1.33 / G3 300
iBook Cl 300

Reply 104 of 416, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kirikl wrote:

But for what? It is ROM based module. I don't think it is battery inisde

Then why did you ask? I see you can't even be bothered to check the earlier pages where two people have already addressed your question... 😢 ...one even has posted a picture of the SC-55ST's interior!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 105 of 416, by kirikl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I missed that page! Thank you!

GA-5AX/k6-3+ 600mhz
XT Turbo 10mhz
HP TC4200 / NC6400
Sony Vaio PCG-SRX99 / PCG-505TR / C1 Picturebook
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL / LTE 5000
Toshiba T1100+ / T3100e/40 / T3200SXC
Tandy 1400 LT / 1000HX
PB G4 1.33 / G3 300
iBook Cl 300

Reply 106 of 416, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an SC55 on its way to me and will be checking the battery when it arrives. Has anyone ever come across any actual damage done to a device due to leaking CR2032? It doesn't seem likely... but the one I'm getting looks to be very lightly used and has its original box, which tells me it has probably been relying on the battery for 20+ years.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 108 of 416, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
twood1130 wrote:

Lithium batteries use dry electrolytes, they cannot leak.

Then replace the word "leaking" with whatever this thread is about. 😉

Reply 109 of 416, by twood1130

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There tends to be a lot of misinformation about batteries. To make it simple to understand, try to remember what happens when alkali metals hit water...

BOOM!

Yeah, no liquids in 2032s, or any other lithium based batteries.

Reply 111 of 416, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
twood1130 wrote:

There tends to be a lot of misinformation about batteries. To make it simple to understand, try to remember what happens when alkali metals hit water...

BOOM!

Yeah, no liquids in 2032s, or any other lithium based batteries.

The deposits on the batteries are not figments of peoples imaginations though. Something does appear to be escaping from them.

Reply 112 of 416, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just opened the SC55 I bought and the battery was totally corroded on the bottom. No sign of damage at all and the unit was pristine. It'd been in its retail box so long that the power cord and RCA cables had styrofoam stuck to them from the internal packing material... the only other item I've received like this was an IBM PC keyboard that was labeled as defective in 1984 (opened in 2014), where the styrofoam had decomposed and stuck to the cable. This unit looks like it was barely used and was extremely well taken care of. The tear-off shipping labels are still attached to the box with the units serial number on them. So, the corrosion certainly isn't related to environment. Also, the battery still kept the settings just fine. I'm surprised it was even making contact with all of that gunk on it!

Reply 113 of 416, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Opened my SC-55. Battery was still perfectly fine but removed it anyway. My CM-32L and MT-32 don't appear to have batteries inside. when I checked. And you're okay no batteries on the SCC-1's either.

Reply 115 of 416, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it hasn't already been said in this thread, I can add that the SC-88 Pro has a coin battery as well (CR2032). It's located on the upside down circuit board at the top of the unit.

Reply 116 of 416, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just opened the SC55 I bought and the battery was totally corroded on the bottom. No sign of damage at all and the unit was pristine. It'd been in its retail box so long that the power cord and RCA cables had styrofoam stuck to them from the internal packing material... the only other item I've received like this was an IBM PC keyboard that was labeled as defective in 1984 (opened in 2014), where the styrofoam had decomposed and stuck to the cable. This unit looks like it was barely used and was extremely well taken care of. The tear-off shipping labels are still attached to the box with the units serial number on them. So, the corrosion certainly isn't related to environment.

High moisture in the air can still cause corrosion though, even if it was only stored in those conditions some time ago. The box will protect it up to a degree, but over time the cardboard box, paperwork and any other suitable material will absorb moisture. It can take a long time before the dampness disappears.

Also, people shouldn't write about batteries storing settings. Batteries store energy, and can power chips that retain settings only when powered, they aren't the memory itself (the term "battery memory" refers to something else altogether). It's surprising how common this misconception is.

Will check my SC-88 when it arrives.

Reply 117 of 416, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is still an invaluable tip, Keropi!
Just opened a Roland SC-55 I bought a while ago, because the headphones connector did not work, even though the line output was fine. When I checked the battery, it was clearly leaking. No damage to the unit though, so I removed the old battery and replaced it with a fresh one.
And yes, I was able to fix the headphone output. Two identical connectors had been swapped... After plugging them back in their correct places, everything was working great again.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 118 of 416, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just want to add, I received a SC-55mkII for christmas, and promptly removed the coin cell as well. It did not seem to have any corrosion on it, and a multimeter showed ~3v. Eh, better to be safe than sorry!

Reply 119 of 416, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an SC-88 as well. (I sold the SC-55.) In the words of Commander Shepard, "I should go..." and check it.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ