VOGONS

Reply 21 of 416, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

In my case the glue was used to fix some wires on the bottom side of the PCB. It was the sort of stuff that crumbles when removing it.

It's probably hot melt glue. It's applied hot then hardens as it cools. That stuff tends to become crumbly over time as it dries out. After this much time, it most likely needs to be reapplied.

Reply 23 of 416, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just opened my MK-II now, and fortunately there was no leakage.

9444594672_44453c0ef8_b.jpg

I changed the battery anyway, and the former battery was old enough to have the battery holder's top plastic retainer's impression on it's surface.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ah, so that's how the mk2 is inside... here's a pic of the mk1 for comparison 😁

358rp90.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 416, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to bump this thread as a warning. I've never in all my years seen a leaky lithium cr2032, well, until recently that is... For some reason, this thread inspired me to open my 8 new in box Asus TUSL2 motherboards and check the coin cell batts for grins. 7 were fine (dead as can be), 1 was not! A leaky maxell cr2032! I've never seen this happen until now! Needless to say, I spent some time pulling coin cell batteries off of my shelved mobos after that... 😲

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 26 of 416, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

^ ah, so that's how the mk2 is inside... here's a pic of the mk1 for comparison 😁

And here is another MK1 😀
It's an old pic i did when i dumped the roms for the MESS project, the battery was fine though 😉

- Big pic here -

roland_sc55_pcb_partside_small.jpg

Reply 27 of 416, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So... As I am about to reassemble my office with varios gaming addons... the battery is NOT needed for game music playback only for advanced programming, right?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have removed the battery from mine and notice no difference in gaming usage... the only change I saw was the "battery low!" message on the sc-55's boot up... since we are not using these units to compose music we don't care about custom settings/maps/whatever being stored on the unit 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 29 of 416, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks, I'll make sure toget rid of the battery then when I unpack the sc55 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 30 of 416, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

again, thanks for the initial post 😀
my battery was slightly leaking as well. Good calll

Reply 32 of 416, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Opened mine today and yes, the battery was starting to go. Thanks for the heads up!

Probably a silly question but do MT-32's have a battery?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 33 of 416, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Probably a silly question but do MT-32's have a battery?

No, but people came up with MT-32 modifications to add a battery, so you may wish to check if you believe the unit you have or are planning to buy is modded. If your unit is Sound Canvas compatible and has a display, it is almost certain to have a battery.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 35 of 416, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just letting you know that the Roland SC-55ST doesn't have a battery inside.

While we're at it. Does anyone know how to open a Yamaha MU80 unit?

I removed a ton of screws but not closer to opening it.

Also what's a good source for these button batteries? Might buy a few in bulk.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I opened mine to clean it, IIRC you remove the screws and pull the faccia with the screen... kind of tight but that's how you get it open... it has a soldered CR-2032 battery inside, no holder
Places that sell/repair watches also stock CR-2032 batteries, else it's places that sell electronic equipment components around here.

Reply 37 of 416, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Our local supermarket sells them 😀 Not cheap, but convenient.

Will try opening that unit again and check if the battery is ok. Thanks!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 416, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

found a pic...

2qx2vr8.jpg

you remove the screws so the bottom cover is free, pull the screen/faccia a little so the bottom part can be removed and you are done!