VOGONS

Reply 120 of 201, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. Regarding the abrupt notes, is all playback affected similarly, or just the playback of certain MIDI files? If the latter, can you provide one of the problematic sequences? Can you describe your setup a bit further, with respect to the MIDI interface being used, and connection(s) to the SC-55?

Reply 121 of 201, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Okay. Regarding the abrupt notes, is all playback affected similarly, or just the playback of certain MIDI files? If the latter, can you provide one of the problematic sequences?

When I play the RuneScape MIDI files, some of the instruments, like the French Horn, only plays for a split second. When playing the files using the Microsoft's GS/GM Synth, it works, same with the Yamaha TG100. That, and when there's an unknown rhythm, it doesn't have anything for the rhythm channel (Reggae.mid) until I manually change it, or when the waves play in the Last Wave (OutRun) MIDI file, it takes a while for the wave noise to start (and when the note gets released and starts up again, it doesn't want to play nice).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 122 of 201, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Firstrun70 wrote:

Does anybody have 4 pictures from 1st and 4th messages of this topic? They are not available.
[...]

fixed 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 123 of 201, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for RuneScape, those MIDIs are most likely GM2 or XG, as it's a game from 2001. Why it works on the TG-100? Well, no idea, but I noticed myself that the TG-100 plays XG pretty well, even though it's no XG device. Maybe Yamaha already had features implemented that later became XG.

Check the attached MIDI for example. It's a showcase song from Yamaha for XG, but sounds brilliant even on the TG-100.

Reply 124 of 201, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's because the General MIDI TG range directly predates the XG standard (as opposed to the older, more high end TG modules that were module versions of real synthesizer keyboards, like the TG-33, TG-55, TG-77).

Reply 125 of 201, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

When I play the RuneScape MIDI files, some of the instruments, like the French Horn, only plays for a split second. When playing the files using the Microsoft's GS/GM Synth, it works, same with the Yamaha TG100. That, and when there's an unknown rhythm, it doesn't have anything for the rhythm channel (Reggae.mid) until I manually change it, or when the waves play in the Last Wave (OutRun) MIDI file, it takes a while for the wave noise to start (and when the note gets released and starts up again, it doesn't want to play nice).

Well, the good news is that, based on at least two of the three examples given, your SC-55 seems to be behaving exactly as designed.

As derSammler mentioned, RuneScape is ~10-years newer than the SC-55. Its music definitely doesn't seem to have been composed or optimized with a 24-voice polyphony limitation in mind, resulting in the premature note cutoffs you've experienced when voice-prioritization/stealing occurs. I would suggest that a single SC-55 is a poor candidate for the playback of music from this game.

Regarding "reggae.mid," and assuming you're referring to the 1991-dated, Voyetra Technologies sequence, Program Change 127 is sent on Channel 10 to select the drum set. This is not a valid selection on the SC-55, and results in - yes - silence, where the SC-55mkII-based (and later) architectures will simply use the last valid drum set selection instead. It's apparent that Program Change 128, selecting the CM-64/32L drum set, was the original intent.

I haven't looked into the OutRun example. I'd need you to post, or post a link to, that specific sequence. I suspect it's yet another example of a more modern arrangement, having a polyphony burden that exceeds the SC-55's capabilities.

Reply 126 of 201, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Its music definitely doesn't seem to have been composed or optimized with a 24-voice polyphony limitation in mind, resulting in the premature note cutoffs you've experienced when voice-prioritization/stealing occurs.

Good point. Didn't think of the 24-voice polyphony limitation. The TG-100 can do 28 (like the SC-55 Mk. II), so this might explain it.

Reply 127 of 201, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
This will absolutely work. Stefan_L dumped the v1.21 control ROM, which can be used for this purpose. […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

1.20->1.21 seems possible - let's see what happens when you get it 😀

This will absolutely work. Stefan_L dumped the v1.21 control ROM, which can be used for this purpose.

When upgrading the SC-55 control ROM, compatibility needs to be maintained between its major and minor version, and that of the CPU ROM.

In other words:

CPU ROM v1.00 is only compatible with a v1.0x control ROM (only 1.00 exists)
CPU ROM v1.10 is only compatible with a v1.1x control ROM (only 1.10 exists)
CPU ROM v1.20 is only compatible with a v1.2x control ROM
CPU ROM v2.00 is only compatible with a v2.0x control ROM

Roland used to provide an upgrade path that included replacement of the CPU, in conjunction with an associated control ROM, but alas, these parts are no longer available for them to do so.

Today I finally found the motivation to exchange the Control ROM chips of my SC-55 units. My main unit (very good cosmetic condition) had version 1.20, the backup unit (a little banged up on the outside) had version 1.21. I pulled the chips from the socket of each unit and exchanged them. Powering on the main unit showed no issues, and checking the system version (send unit to standby, hold both INSTRUMENT buttons and push both MIDI CH buttons) shows now version 1.21. So, upgrading version 1.20 to 1.21 works like already stated, physically verified by me 😉

END OF LINE.

Reply 128 of 201, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

As derSammler mentioned, RuneScape is ~10-years newer than the SC-55. Its music definitely doesn't seem to have been composed or optimized with a 24-voice polyphony limitation in mind, resulting in the premature note cutoffs you've experienced when voice-prioritization/stealing occurs. I would suggest that a single SC-55 is a poor candidate for the playback of music from this game.

I tested it again, and noticed it. Also, the ROM version is 1.20 (120120118), and I have no idea where I can find version 1.21 chips for the unit to upgrade it. Is the version 1.21 used in the GM/GS version of the Roland SC-55, or is it version 2.0?

Reply 129 of 201, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upgraded the ROM to version 1.21, and the RuneScape music is still not playing right.

Reply 131 of 201, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only an SC-55 mkII and up has more than 24 voices, although 28 is still very limited and doesn't seem to help much.
An SC-55 with ROM v1.20, 1.21, and even 2.00 is still a mkI and thus still has the 24 voice limit, but they do contain the full GS/GM instrument sets.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 132 of 201, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tpowell.ca wrote:

Only an SC-55 mkII and up has more than 24 voices, although 28 is still very limited and doesn't seem to help much.
An SC-55 with ROM v1.20, 1.21, and even 2.00 is still a mkI and thus still has the 24 voice limit, but they do contain the full GS/GM instrument sets.

Good to know. Thanks.

Reply 133 of 201, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess I'll post my JV-35 info here. SC-55 Mk.II-based, GM/GS logo, supposedly no MT32 mode (but the manual can be inaccurate), has Breath Noise and its variation. Has some additional features over the SC-55 Mk.II, including the ability to play two different drum sets at once and to play them on multiple MIDI channels. JV-compatible via expansion board.

Entering Test Mode shows "Ver1.01 93/12/17". Should I pop the cover to see what chips it uses to see where it fits?

I'd also like to test playback of reference files.

Edit: So NOT SC-55 Mk.II-based, except for the PCM ROM:

Roland JV-35 (aka expandable SC-55 Mk. II keyboard ver.)

It's basically an enhanced SC-88 with the SC-55 Mk.II ROM (on a single Eprom).

Last edited by yawetaG on 2019-10-26, 17:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 134 of 201, by zarkon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
Here's some version information that I'd been tracking for the SC-55 and its variants, inclusive of units belonging to myself, K […]
Show full quote

Here's some version information that I'd been tracking for the SC-55 and its variants, inclusive of units belonging to myself, Keropi, and Great Hierophant. You'll notice that version 2.00 SC-55s exist with faceplates both lacking, and having, a General MIDI logo. The version dates for the 1.00 - 1.20 SC-55s are also something of an oddity, being both uncharacteristically close to each other, and (in some cases) unrealistically disparate from the dates-of-manufacture.

GS.png

Fun fact: The SC-55 and JV-80 synthesizers both use the same custom PCM core IC, where it provides 24-voices of polyphony in the former, yet 28-voices in the latter.

To add to this, I have a SC55 with a serial starting CD which is 1.20. I guess DD is the only one that had 1.21 (though for anyone reading this and trying to figure out which one to buy, if it's purely for games there's no difference between 1.20 & 1.21).

Reply 135 of 201, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have an SC-55 with the GS/GM front plate with firmware 2.00. I will look up the serial number, can't see that easily now.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 136 of 201, by corentin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am curious about the "mkI" vs mkII sound quality. If anyone have both (so using the same hardware for recording) and can record few seconds of some Doom/DN3D tracks.
(I have a SC-55 GS/GM 2.00)

edit : i found out on the site : www.wavetable.nl (in Salient signature 😀).
I can tell differences. Like, the instrument are a little less "in your face" on the mkII and they blend better. But in can't rely on my ears anymore about real "sound quality".

(The JV-1010 sounds cool but that reverb sounds forced)

Reply 139 of 201, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stalk3r wrote on 2020-06-09, 17:16:

Hi guys, I have an SC-55 with rom version 1.01 and also have one with v1.21. I am planning to sell either of them. Which one should I keep?

If the ROMs are not soldered, dump them from both units and keep whichever unit you like .