VOGONS

Reply 80 of 296, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zaphod77 wrote:

For Final Fantasy 7 you want a db50XG. there is no substitute.

Since we're opining here, I find Yamaha's XG conversion of the FFVII soundtrack to be highly overrated, and much-prefer the in-house AWE/SoundFont conversion, which leverages many of the same samples as used in the PSX version, and provides the more-faithful rendition.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
peklop wrote:

But SB Pro emulation play only 8bit sound, not 16bit.

Yes, and what's the problem with that?

If you want 16-bit music playback in the two Crusader games, or stereo music, for that matter, SBPro compatibility isn't going to cut it.

The SBPro is certainly widely supported, but the idea that no DOS titles either use 16-bit samples, or derive benefit from 16-bit playback modes (where software mixing of 8-bit samples is concerned), is a complete fallacy.

Reply 81 of 296, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asylum Sound allowed 16 bit mixing, but I believe only No Regret used 16 bit samples.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 83 of 296, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone wants an ES688F based sound card WITH an onboard Yamaha OPL3 ? Grab this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262771415772

The IC on the left side of the ES688F seemed like a real Yamaha IC so I asked the seller for a better picture :

2gt585w.jpg

😊 😊 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 84 of 296, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Asylum Sound allowed 16 bit mixing...

With corresponding 16-bit stereo data sent to the soundcard, as concerns high-DMA, SB16/AWE playback.

I agree 100%. I was just referring to the limitation of the source material.

Reply 85 of 296, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

The SBPro is certainly widely supported, but the idea that no DOS titles either use 16-bit samples, or derive benefit from 16-bit playback modes (where software mixing of 8-bit samples is concerned), is a complete fallacy.

I don't think anyone is saying that there are no DOS titles that benefit from a Sound Blaster 16. I am interested to hear what people use their cards for though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 86 of 296, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 10GB partition with win2000 on my p233mmx build - the only reason I have this is so I can write CPC 3.5" disks with CPCDiskXP. I found it amazing that ESS provided drivers even for the older ES488 card while Creative only supported SB16/AWE series and upwards.
My build now has a CT1600 + GUS classic : no sound device anymore for me in win2000 😵 🤣

edit:
someone grabbed the ES688F card above eh? who was it? 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 87 of 296, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

someone grabbed the ES688F card above eh? who was it? 🤣

It was me. 😀

I was watching it since last night. I had made an offer on a couple of other cards from the same seller, which were accepted this afternoon. So, I figured that I would go ahead and make an offer on this ESS card because the seller could combine shipping with the other two cards. Then I saw that keropi had linked to the same card!

I'll add this card to my wavetable thread in case folks are curious about how an OPL3 sounds coming through an ESS controller/codec.

Reply 88 of 296, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, you were the 2nd person watching the card 😁 glad it was someone from here that got it! The card looks well build too .

Btw the seller is very helpful in requests, I was amazed by that since most recyclers don't bother with questions

Reply 89 of 296, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Ah, you were the 2nd person watching the card 😁 glad it was someone from here that got it! The card looks well build too .

Btw the seller is very helpful in requests, I was amazed by that since most recyclers don't bother with questions

The seller put out a batch of cards that I hadn't paid attention to before but am into collecting now. I picked up another ESS card with ESS wavetable, and then an Opti card with a Samsung wavetable. I don't have either of these synths or patchsets in my collection, so I'm looking forward to testing them and adding them to my wavetable thread.

Reply 90 of 296, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElementalChaos wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/EMiXM3vl.jpg […]
Show full quote

EMiXM3vl.jpg

Reviving this thread as I have some issues with this exact card right here. I have two of them one I got in my stock Compaq that i bought and another I bought off of ebay for my second machine. This model I think is extremely neat as it has a 2 pin connector for an in case speaker, if you have one and your case is good enough to work as a reverb chamber you essentially do not need speakers, this single speaker will do a good enough job to replace most crappy tiny plastic speakers of the era.

Thing is the cards work fine on the Pentium 2(dos and windows) box but refuses to produce any synth sound on the P3 in DOS. Can any of you share your resource configs I could try to force the card into?

Reply 91 of 296, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it fail to output OPL3 synth or MIDI synth? It won't be capable of outputting MIDI synth (without emulation) due to an absence of MIDI synth chipset, gameport, or DIN jacks. The ESFM OPL3 core is integrated with the ES1869 chipset, so it should work fine assuming Compaq didn't do something stupid.

Reply 92 of 296, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep need clarification on what you mean by synth, but something that comes to mind generally is that the P3 isn't allocating resources properly - does it have onboard sound to turn off? Have a poke around in the BIOS - I think I forced my P3 to reserve the relevant resources for the ISA Audiodrive I use in there.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 93 of 296, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the midi is absent, OPL is what I am missing here.
The bios has very little in the means of configing the device at all, just a toggle for it really.

I tried running Intel ICU but I get "An internal error has caused incorrect number of System Device Nodes in NVS" error message when ICU starts up, and then after clicking OK it just exits out.

Reply 95 of 296, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the bios there's the ISA devices section and the only thing I see there is plug and play audiodrive enable/disable I'm not even sure it actually disables the device itself as I set it to "disable" and the only thing that changes is that I can now set resources trough ESS dos drivers. If I had a set of correct values for that I guess that could resolve the issue.

Reply 96 of 296, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, definitely disable PnP for that card.

You can try the settings listed under DOS:
http://www.flaterco.com/kb/audio/ISA/index.html#ESS

Reply 98 of 296, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good. Still have a good opinion of the Compaq card? I'm tempted to get one. It would be my n+1th ess card but you cannot have too many of them.

Reply 99 of 296, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheCoach wrote:

YEAH! It worked, I have fully functional audio on the P3 in DOS now.

rutles-minstrels.gif