VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote on 2020-06-21, 14:14:
I'll check which patch.002 i was using for SQ4 and let you know. Might be from Hero's Quest […]
Show full quote

I'll check which patch.002 i was using for SQ4 and let you know. Might be from Hero's Quest

EDIT: Ok i checked, it's actually the patch file from Quest for Glory II. Keep in mind that Quest for Glory II didn't ship originally with a patch.002 file, it was released through their BBS service i believe.

2.zip

Unzip the file into Space Quest 4, i use the CD version BTW. You can obviuosly rename the 2.pat file to patch.002 again and try it on Quest for Glory II, since it was made for that.

Ooh, there's that SQ4 sound. It might not be official or 100% accurate, but I absolutely love the sound of it. And one more patch for the testing pile. Thanks again.

For anyone curious, this is carlostex's patched SQ4 sound that I've been chasing: https://youtu.be/6jhF-_io8iA

Reply 21 of 30, by Trembyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-06-21, 02:12:

An expanded approach to testing has allowed me to get a few more working. It also means I can't be as specific about which games I grabbed patches from, because I stopped keeping track!

Could you post the FB01 support spreadsheet you used for tracking, even if it's incomplete?

Reply 22 of 30, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trembyle wrote on 2020-07-06, 18:34:
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-06-21, 02:12:

An expanded approach to testing has allowed me to get a few more working. It also means I can't be as specific about which games I grabbed patches from, because I stopped keeping track!

Could you post the FB01 support spreadsheet you used for tracking, even if it's incomplete?

No problem. It's still patchy but I gave it a quick cleanup first. There are now columns showing which size files each game is using.

Word of warning: I'm running Windows and using Directory Opus as my file explorer. Today I was looking at the games files in Windows Explorer, and noticed that the file sizes don't display accurately! They are rounded. I've never noticed this behaviour before, because I've never been comparing file sizes this tiny. Something to be aware of.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 30, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget that games like QFG2, Thexder2, KQ5, Jones in the Fast Lane, Camelot and Mother Goose actually had official Sierra patches for IBM MFC/FB01 Music.

So i would alter these games from modded to Native via patch

Reply 26 of 30, by Trembyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, I just wanted to make a quick note that the AMAME / loopback method works fine on SCI games in the ScummVM release build when setting the GUI option "Use IMF/Yamaha FB-01 for MIDI output".

It's great to have this so accessible now. Unfortunately, the emulation quality in both ScummVM and Scali's Dosbox is a far cry from Pierre's recordings on real hardware. Hopefully that will improve over time.

EDIT: Obviously that's a flaw in MAME's YM2151 emulation, not anything done by Scali or the ScummVM team. Wanted to make that perfectly clear.

Reply 27 of 30, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: Obviously that's a flaw in MAME's YM2151 emulation, not anything done by Scali or the ScummVM team. Wanted to make that perfectly clear.

I don't know how up to date AMAME is but Aaron Giles rewrote all the yamaha fm synths earlier this year. If it's older than that it might be worth trying with mainline MAME.

Reply 28 of 30, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crazyc wrote on 2021-10-08, 16:50:

I don't know how up to date AMAME is but Aaron Giles rewrote all the yamaha fm synths earlier this year. If it's older than that it might be worth trying with mainline MAME.

Hi crazyc!

AMAME (https://github.com/jariseon/amame) is up to date as of MAME 0.200 (July 25, 2018) up to commit 708d928214d4794e04f142d01d807556151be4c8 - ie. August 12, 2018.
See: Issue 3817 - https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/3817

However, to do what you say and "use mainline MAME", they'd have to figure out how to do data input into a running MAME session that's emulating a Yamaha FB-01/IBM Music Feature Card.

AMAME makes that process much more easier for those familiar with audio software by emulating them as VST2 plugins.

Until someone writes an appropriate MAME tutorial, it would probably be easier to backport Aaron's new Yamaha synths to AMAME (or otherwise bring AMAME up to latest).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto