VOGONS

First post, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright let's just get straight to it.

The 'Adlib Gold 1000' is a bit unusual and does NOT behave like a Sound Blaster 16 when it comes to OPL3 output; I naively was expecting it to, though. Even *without* the surround sound module, the card will do a lot of unexpected and tangible things with the OPL3 chip and its oversampling 'buddy' chip that Yamaha designed, but apparently only AdLib (!) implemented... I could be wrong but I haven't seen any others. Here's the primary output section with a Philips amp, and some other things-- I haven't figured out what the takamisawa relay is for-- but it awfully sounds like a voodoo 1 snapping into glide:
10405650_302889376556580_5894658750031129700_n.jpg

==Sound Comparison==
Here are a few basic comparisons with a recapped SB16 C1770 that both demonstrate how the AdLib Gold has extra emphasis on both the high and low frequencies, implements oversampling, and how it'll do (sometimes) a stereo pan effect which almost sounds like chorus. It depends how the panning and instruments are set together, so again, it's not constant.

!!Advanced apologies for some slight noise in the adlib gold recordings, looks like I need to increase the special line-in capacitors on my recording computer to a higher uF (since the adlib gold is so quiet in the PS/2E, the line-in listening volume is at max and it picks up some subtle artefacts as a result)!!

#1 Canyon.MID
Adlib Gold: https://vimeo.com/102437526
SB16: https://vimeo.com/102437527

#2 MOUSE (Sami Wilenius’ FM King)
Adlib Gold: https://vimeo.com/102437530
SB16: https://vimeo.com/102437845

#3 Descent GAME08.MID
Adlib Gold: https://vimeo.com/102437528
SB16: https://vimeo.com/102437529

#4 Vesper's Theme (Ultima)
Adlib Gold: https://vimeo.com/102437846
SB16: https://vimeo.com/102437847

So I hope the above examples show the contrast well. The Adlib Gold is actually one of [the] best OPL3 cards in that it has YMZ oversampling and also due to the VERY good filter pronounces sounds that are otherwise filtered out by every other OPL3 card (the Creative cards are some of the worst offenders though; it can be rectified somewhat by a *complete* recap with quality electrolytics and film caps-- but you'll still have an 'improper' output because it was never designed properly to *begin* with). Mind you some songs don’t take the Adlib Gold’s frequency sensitivity into consideration so you’ll end up with very sharp high pitched sounds—if you can hear that high. I have NOT heard any other OPL3 card get the filtering that precise; it really was an 'audiophile' card before such a thing was popular.

I know some may think an adlib gold lacking the surround sound module isn't desirable, but the aforementioned points make it one of the ultimate OPL3 cards-- so it's definitely worth it in my books. I have conflicting thoughts as to the precise rarity of these cards. I’m sure we can expect one to pop up on ebay every five years or so? As to the amount made—well the cards look hand soldered (and done very well!), so probably only a hundred or so I would imagine? However with such a low number would be surprising as so many games supported them… so I honestly want to say more than that. I have a feeling many of the cards have long since been recycled.

==But OPL3 Synthesis is crappy, get a sampler==
Another common complaint I hear over-and-over is how 'crappy' FM Synthesis sounds. OPL3 / OPL2 FM synthesis is fan-freaking-tastic! Asides from OPL3 being a *real* synthesizer with dynamic parameters, there has been some very nice music crafted for it. Sure the sound set used for MIDI files are sometimes lacking—but it’s a synthesizer, not a sampler… it’s not supposed to sound realistic.
As a side note: the MT-32 is a little more than just a sampler as it combines samples with actual waveform generation like the D-50. Of course Roland didn’t implement this for the sake of waveform generation, but because of the limitations of sample synthesis at the time. Soon as said limitations were overcome they quickly dumped real synthesis. Pity… LAS was a lot of fun. At least the AIRA series is getting back to real synthesis again.

==Conclusion==
If anyone has any requests let me know and I can get around to it. I was never expecting the adlib gold to do what it did, but it was sure interesting to discover all of that.

A final note, the old tantalums on the adlib freaked me out; I was just expecting one of them to explode. The caps are drying out a little too, affecting the sound. I removed the tantalums first:
10524327_323710891141095_606327538670298008_n.jpg

Use a Hakko to get them out. The card was quite easy to work with—make sure the leads are fully desoldered, don’t yank a capacitor out or you’ll pull / move the solder pads. Please don’t do that… AND YES!! That is *glitter* in the solder mask. I have never seen glitter solder mask before. Looks very nice.

==Additional OPL Samples==
I’ll be uploading some more OPL3 samples later for those who aren’t convinced FM Synthesis / OPL3 is ‘good’. I have a few specifics in mind. Again this is waveform synthesis, if one has expectations for a symphonic orchestra; go see a real symphonic orchestra. This is electronic music. I do enjoy some soundcanvas here and there (and especially MT-32), but I like OPL3 too. I find the more options I have and the more synthesis possibilities, the more enjoyable everything is.

I never got around to it, but I was going to record the DOSBox emulation to compare to the adlib gold (to show how it lacks YMZ emulation like the SB16).

Reply 1 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great post raymangold!

What Hakko de-solder unit are you refering to? I got a basic model from eBay, more or less a no name brand. It works ok but not as good as some YT videos I watched.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great post!
tbh I can't say I prefer the way the Gold sounds, it must be a mix of what I am used to expect and tracks not being optimized for it.
It does sound better at some parts though, it produces a richer sound but doesn't seem to mix well with the rest of the sounds... (hence the optimization I mention above)

Last edited by keropi on 2014-08-03, 12:27. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you test AdLib Tracker II on this card? There's a really good track included in the ADTRACK2 package that makes use of four-op instruments.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 17, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I use the Hakko FR-300, it may be hard to get an Australian variety though (as it plugs into the wall):
124436.jpg

Yeah the adlib gold has a very different output-- the way it plays some songs doesn't always work (as not everything was designed with it in mind, and the oversampling can be overwhelming on certain things), but then again, the same is true of some pieces which sound better on OPL2 than OPL3.

For adlib tracker 2 I need to get a FPU for the pizzabox (strangely enough yes, adlib tracker 2 needs a co-processor). I'd also love to do more recordings-- however (and I'm sure everyone else will agree), I need to figure out a way to get the signal more amplified to rectify the problem of it being so quiet and the presence of noise.

Reply 6 of 17, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OPL3 samples with the Voyetra SuperSAPI! driver (uses 4-op patches) would be nice to hear. The default Microsoft driver makes it sound like crapola.

Reply 7 of 17, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:

I haven't figured out what the takamisawa relay is for...

This relay is used to prevent the electrical "speaker pop" when powering-on the system.

The Adlib Gold is actually one of [the] best OPL3 cards in that it has YMZ oversampling...

You've mentioned oversampling a few times now, and while oversampling is referenced in connection to the YMZ263, the FM output from the YMF262 isn't routed through this chip.

The FM output path through some of the the larger ICs is YMF262 > YAC512 (DAC) > DAC8840 (volume control) > TDA8425 (audio processor / final volume control) > LM1877N (power-amplifier)

With respect to the mentioned "chorus" and "stereo-pan" effects, the TDA8425 provides spatializing and pseudo-stereo processing that you're likely hearing and referring to.

Reply 11 of 17, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
This relay is used to prevent the electrical "speaker pop" when powering-on the system. […]
Show full quote
raymangold wrote:

I haven't figured out what the takamisawa relay is for...

This relay is used to prevent the electrical "speaker pop" when powering-on the system.

The Adlib Gold is actually one of [the] best OPL3 cards in that it has YMZ oversampling...

You've mentioned oversampling a few times now, and while oversampling is referenced in connection to the YMZ263, the FM output from the YMF262 isn't routed through this chip.

The FM output path through some of the the larger ICs is YMF262 > YAC512 (DAC) > DAC8840 (volume control) > TDA8425 (audio processor / final volume control) > LM1877N (power-amplifier)

With respect to the mentioned "chorus" and "stereo-pan" effects, the TDA8425 provides spatializing and pseudo-stereo processing that you're likely hearing and referring to.

Okay thanks for the clarification: yeah I never even bothered to look up the spec sheet for that philips amp! I thought it was just your typical philips one. So I assumed the oversampling from the YMZ had something to do with it, guess not. After listening to the card for the first time and being surprised by the stereo effect, I was quickly making some assumptions as to what could be modifying the output.

There just wasn't a whole lot of information about these cards, and I am sure most everyone assumed the OPL3 output (including myself) would be that of any other card.

I'm looking into some solutions for better audio amplification, and going to figure out something better than vimeo (as it's annoying quite honestly). When I get the co-processor for the pizzabox I'll do some adlib tracker 2 recordings, and a comprehensive comparison between all sorts of OPL3 chips and variants. Might be worthy to see how the ThinkPad 701C's OPL3 output stacks up as well.

Reply 12 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why the crap does ADTrack2 need a FPU for...? Then again the program seems to be horribly written, it requires stupidly high cycles in DOSBOX and such and if the cycles are too slow the music slows in tempo.

Here's an idea, how about the music from Whale's Voyage? Louis 17 is my favorite off that game.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 17, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice post. Somehow I find the SB behaving more "sharp" compared to the Gold.....
I like the gold better. Just me, or?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 17, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you post a long song, like the Chrono Trigger ending theme on the adlib gold?
http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo … es/cttogood.mid
I'd like to hear that compared to a normal OPL-3 card like the 16.

Reply 15 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly is the 12-bit audio on this thing like? How is the quantization noise in particular?

Wait the AdLib Gold can do digitized sound right?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just noticed this thread. Thank you so much for the recordings.

I think the Gold sounds beautiful. We got so used to how Creative cards sound that for others the AdLib Gold might sound weird.
I love it, so much clarity and definition. Brilliant card. Too bad its so rare nowadays.