VOGONS

Reply 360 of 3174, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
keropi wrote:

Argus is a very nice name IMHO , it has GUS inside and doubles as the name of a mythical ship 😁

*nod* Also argus-eyes (no idea if that figure of speech is well known internationally - but it's commonly used in phrases describing a requirement good eyesight/attention - which fits the first phase of the cloning process) - and last but not least greek mythology is something I like.

The term "Argusaugen" (argus-eyes) refers to the giant Argus, who was said to have 100 eyes.

ARGUS would make a nice acronym indeed, easy to remember since it includes "GUS". My take on writing it out would be "Advanced Reverse-engineered Gravis UltraSound. 😉

Reply 361 of 3174, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LunarG wrote:

Or how about Angus, "A New GUS"?

This one wins in my book 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 362 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Angus....like Black Angus Steak Sandwich? darn it people, now I'm hungry.....

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 366 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

Angus....like Black Angus Steak Sandwich? darn it people, now I'm hungry.....

Being *dun*dun*dun* vegetarian myself and the spelling very similar to Agnus (a custom chip in the Amiga homecomputer) this certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

My current favorite is ARGUS or AREGUS - while AREGUS isn't the correct spelling it goes well with "advanced reverse-engineered GUS" and "are" implies an effort by multiple persons (since this project would have had a way longer turn around time without all contributors/donors)

EDIT: 10.000 Thread views! Wheee 😀
On the productive side: I've finalized the via stitching on the board and will start to add headers soon - but first I'll finally solder my SSI-2001 card today, such a shame it has been lying here as a kit for over a month.

Last edited by shock__ on 2015-04-03, 11:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 367 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw, this year InterWave will have its twentieth anniversary. Maybe it's worth mentioning somehow?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 368 of 3174, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
QBiN wrote:
LunarG wrote:

Or how about Angus, "A New GUS"?

Wait for it... https://youtu.be/t7kgL86x5Tc

More like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUweV9a6QLE

🤣 😎 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 369 of 3174, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about "The Skunk-G" as in Skunkworks and GUS?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 370 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slowly getting back to the project after I got sidetracked a bit building the SSI-2001 and revisiting my DSS reversal.
- started adding the ISA-headers aka "magic smoke escape hatches" in case anyone thinks they're jumpers ^^
- On the namefinding side, unless someone has a good reason why ARGUS (advanced reverse-engineered GUS) shall not be the name for the project I'll take that one.

[Z?]

Reply 371 of 3174, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the name, I don't think it matters in the end. But for the sake of a counter argument, a GUS follows a format:

GUS Classic
GUS Max
GUS Extreme
GUS PnP
GUS Something
etc...

These roll off the tongue better...

Reply 372 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j^aws wrote:
For the name, I don't think it matters in the end. But for the sake of a counter argument, a GUS follows a format: […]
Show full quote

For the name, I don't think it matters in the end. But for the sake of a counter argument, a GUS follows a format:

GUS Classic
GUS Max
GUS Extreme
GUS PnP
GUS Something
etc...

These roll off the tongue better...

That's why I suggestion/supported ARGUS Shockwave. Not my idea on either name BTW. I just liked the sound of them together. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 373 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A wild prototype appeared!
http://i.imgur.com/JwymKK6.jpg
It's very effective!

(making sure the clearance for the prototype headers isn't too close to the actual slot and the joystick/audio jacks work with the same kind of donor brackets Fagear used for this SSI-2001 replica project).

EDIT: Hacked up a logo from hard1k's incredible revectorized UltraSound logo.
Works quite well for me: http://i.imgur.com/Du7D3pr.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 376 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the logo is just great!

As far as the ISA header is concerned, I'd like to come up with some suggestions once more 😀
Have a look at this wonderful thread by jwt27: Short on ISA slots? Try this.
Maybe you could split up the header in blocks just like he did for his ISA-header PCB? This way we could later use ARGUS as a universal ISA riser.

Another really cool and useful feature would be an onboard supply of -5V current to the ISA bus (again based on jwt27 schematics from the same thread). If incorporated, it would make up for the -5V line that is absent in all modern power supplies, but still needed if a LAPC-I or CT1920 is installed. Of course, if you decide to implement it on the PCB, then a jumper should be put there as well (for people that still use PSUs with -5V). All this could be made just as an option for those who need it - just leaving it all unsoldered in the final product.
Personally I would be very grateful if you decide to implement this 😀 I hope I'm not alone.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 377 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

I think the logo is just great!

Thanks 😀 If you could hack up your vector symbol you did in eagle that would once again be largely appreciated - the logo shown above is just a 5 minute photoshop hack with the G build from the letters O and U 😉 In case it helps, I identified the font used for the GUS part as "Univers Exp" or "Nimbus Sans Extended Regular" (prefer the first because it has a simpler G).

hard1k wrote:

As far as the ISA header is concerned, I'd like to come up with some suggestions once more 😀
Have a look at this wonderful thread by jwt27: Short on ISA slots? Try this.
Maybe you could split up the header in blocks just like he did for his ISA-header PCB? This way we could later use ARGUS as a universal ISA riser.

That's basically what I did yesterday 😀 That way one could either design a daughterboard for the ARGUS (i.e. with SoundBlaster compatible hardware) or use it instead of the $25 riser card. The 64 pin connector will have to be cut short of 2 pins tho (ISA8 is 62 pins) - not a big issue tho, just leave 2 pins unconnected.

hard1k wrote:

Another really cool and useful feature would be an onboard supply of -5V current to the ISA bus (again based on jwt27 schematics from the same thread). If incorporated, it would make up for the -5V line that is absent in all modern power supplies, but still needed if a LAPC-I or CT1920 is installed. Of course, if you decide to implement it on the PCB, then a jumper should be put there as well (for people that still use PSUs with -5V). All this could be made just as an option for those who need it - just leaving it all unsoldered in the final product.
Personally I would be very grateful if you decide to implement this 😀 I hope I'm not alone.

Works for me 😀 Especially since that area of the ARGUS PCB is quite blank since I moved parts around a bit for implementing the headers. Actually considered making a -5V supply a small side project of it's own, but yeah - totally makes sense to include it as an option. Even when the card actually derives it's own -5V supply from the -12V rail.

Thanks for the suggestions 😀

Last edited by shock__ on 2015-04-07, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

[Z?]

Reply 379 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

If you could hack up your vector symbol you did in eagle that would once again be largely appreciated - the logo shown above is just a 5 minute photoshop hack with the G build from the letters O and U 😉 In case it helps, I identified the font used for the GUS part as "Univers Exp" or "Nimbus Sans Extended Regular" (prefer the first because it has a simpler G).

As that original work was done by hyperborean, I guess his help might be useful.

AWE64 Legacy