VOGONS

Reply 380 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

finished up the prototype/expander headers and re-arranged the audio output/input and joystick circuits a little.

http://i.imgur.com/AkKVehe.png

Space is getting damn tight to add in the -5V feedback I'm afraid, not sure if I will end up implementing that (chances aren't too bad tho).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 381 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not put it on the other side?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 382 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Double sided loads? Nah.
Might have to shuffle a few more parts around or take different parts (already have an idea). Another issue is getting the voltages from/to the actual pins/pads as that area is jammed.

EDIT: I think I'm getting somewhere with the -5V regulator circuit.

[Z?]

Reply 383 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Am I the only one getting giddy with this project? 🤣

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 384 of 3174, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dogchainx wrote:

Am I the only one getting giddy with this project? 🤣

Yes, you may be the only one. The rest of us went from giddy straight to loopy near the start, 🤣.

Reply 386 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news everyone!
The PnPROM got a little sibling in form of a DIP-socket - also finishing that I can finally start adding the DIP socket for the wavetable ROM (also for the amplifiers ... but I'll do that later) and implementing 16MB RAM.
Also new screenshot

Bad news everyone!
Adding a SIMM72 socket really adds up to the PCB size (almost 10cm!) making the card slightly longer than the GUS PnP, which in turn cranks up the price for the PCB. I might be able to shrink parts a bit more to make the ARGUS less than 20cm in length so finding a PCB plant becomes a lot easier (currently it would be 23cm - 2cm longer than the GUS PnP).
On a positive side this gives me quite a bunch of unused PCB space, which can be used for possibly adding additional ROM slots (or add circuits to support FlashROMs which can be reprogrammed without taking the card out of the slot), 1MB SOJ-RAM as a solderable option for those folks who may not want to use SIMMs, increasing the size of the font naming all contributors and donors for the project and adding a short manual for the card directly on the board - possibly even a small breadboard-style area for prototyping. I'm certainly up for ideas what do to with the unused space (nopes, still no native AdLib/SoundBlaster support).

http://i.imgur.com/VMgijQB.jpg

EDIT: okay, just checked with a possible PCB plant - once one orders a decent amount they become dirt cheap ($13 for a 20x10cm PCB, gold plated pads, full e-check, german made, no v-groving [feature of the ISA connector so it goes into the slot easier - which is _NOT_ required, but makes a nice and professional looking PCB - left it out for now, as it increases the price by 200% - I'll leave that up for discussion later once all prototyping has been done])

EDIT2:
Alternative beta proposal (ignore the airwires and general mayhem): http://i.imgur.com/GqWFBvP.jpg
Allows using the original ROM (or a compatible SMD variant) or a DIP variant that will most likely happen - or DIP and SMD variants of different ROMs, switchable by jumpers.
Also maintains the SOJ-RAM (might add a second one) for folks who'll just use the UltraSound classic compatibility mode and don't need the full 16MB RAM.

[Z?]

Reply 387 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome work! I'm not sure I have much of an opinion other than more features the better. However, how difficult is this thing going to be to put together? I mean...I SUCK at micro-soldering. Unless I can find someone to do this for me, I'm not sure I have the skill to put this thing together.

Reply 388 of 3174, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought about making the line-out RCA rather than mini-jack? Would make it look even more professional in my opinion. Also, what kind of DAC will the card be using? Are there limitations to that based on it being GUS compatible?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 389 of 3174, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Impressive work! 😉
what about moving simm72 connector closer to CD IN headers in order to reduce PCB length (althought it is difficult to trace nets between Interwave IC and SIMM)?

--wbcbz7

Reply 390 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote:

Thought about making the line-out RCA rather than mini-jack? Would make it look even more professional in my opinion.

Also thought about suggesting that, but IMHO that would make using a standard bracket far more complicated. I guess, brackets from AWE64 Gold would be fine, but they are rare and expensive.
I guess, if anyone wants to use RCA jacks, he could use a standard bracket (like S/PDIF I/O with coaxial jacks) and connect it to the ARGUS onboard line-out pin header.
But if RCA jacks could be implemented, that would be just great!

LunarG wrote:

Also, what kind of DAC will the card be using? Are there limitations to that based on it being GUS compatible?

Interwave IC has integrated CS4231-compatible CODEC with no possibility of bypassing it.

wbc wrote:

Impressive work! 😉

Totally agree 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 391 of 3174, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the new designs look awesome! already drooling over here 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 392 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

Awesome work! I'm not sure I have much of an opinion other than more features the better. However, how difficult is this thing going to be to put together? I mean...I SUCK at micro-soldering. Unless I can find someone to do this for me, I'm not sure I have the skill to put this thing together.

Someone from the German DOSForum might have a co-worker who can offer assembly services (she has 15 years or experience with SMD soldering - down to a level that requires a microscope) ... on the other hand, using the "tack & reflow" technique (tin one pad, put part on there, reflow solder and make it stick in place, solder other pad(s)) I'd say most stuff except for the InterWave chip (which I'll offer to pre-solder) can be done by experienced beginners.

About RCA jacks, I'd say either use a 3.5mm to RCA plug cable - alternatively I could theoretically adapt the board to use RCA jacks and AWE64 Gold brackets. I'd definitely prefer to leave it as it is tho, as finding decent amounts of donor brackets already isn't super trivial.

Having slept a night over it, I think I really like the second proposal - provides a good trade-off between PCB length, features and ease of routing.

[Z?]

Reply 393 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to know the Interwave chip can be presoldered. I think I'll start practicing now... =)

Reply 394 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Someone from the German DOSForum might have a co-worker who can offer assembly services (she has 15 years or experience with SMD soldering - down to a level that requires a microscope)

And I will definitely resort to her services if such option is still available when the project is completed 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 395 of 3174, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The line out header is perfect for something like an HT Omega coax SPDIF bracket. Those are still for sale and would be an ideal hookup option for a card like this.

Reply 397 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some candy ready to be sent to Marmes:
http://i.imgur.com/xM9h6T6.jpg

For reference:
J9540 - Reveal WAVExtreme 32
B9532 - Philips PCA761AW
J9533 - MED3201 (This chip might be dead - taken from a non-working card with an AM78C200KC)

SDRAM + GAL + regulator (or are the 5V SDRAMs?) might be cheaper, but requires yet another programmer most folks may not have, but it's certainly something that could be tested during prototyping.

[Z?]

Reply 398 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there is any difference between the content of those chips coming from different cards, but still reading the original one from a genuine GUS PnP might have had some sense.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 399 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there'd be too much difference either - maybe just slightly different identifiers, but generally the same content.

[Z?]