VOGONS

Reply 500 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

* Adapting the audio/joystick ports so standard brackets from donor cards can be used (have we finally confirmed that the sequence of the ports corresponds to the brackets we'll use later?)

Done, don't care about the exact order. Will be Joystick, Out, Mic, Line-In (left to right)

hard1k wrote:

* Add pinheaders for all audio ports (are they already there and I just can't see them?..)

Not implemented yet

hard1k wrote:

* Add Waveblaster connector (has this idea been finally abandoned?)
* Add integrated MIF-IPC clone (same as above)

both dropped - that's one of the things the prototype headers are for

hard1k wrote:

* Make MONOIN and MONOOUT available as pin-headers on the board (marked as PCSPK_IN and PCSPK_OUT) - I still think this could be very nice and useful feature indeed

Can be done

hard1k wrote:

* Add swappable OPAMPs (I just can't even see if there are any OPAMPs on the card, if there are none, then we don't have anything to swap 😀 )

Haven't dug into that yet - actually haven't even added DIP footprints for the amplifier circuit even.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 501 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! That's the order used on all Vibra cards if I'm not mistaken.
And thanks for the PCSPK_IO option - always loved that on ASUS I-A16C Vibras, worked as a charm.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 505 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently doing good with the 2 layer design. But yeah, adding more much stuff would definitely end in a 4 layer board, which costs 250% of a 2 layer one.
Trying to stay away from that unless I really have to.

[Z?]

Reply 506 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Seriously, on paper, it's already the best GUS PnP. I would be more than happy to pick one of these up. Of course, adding more features is desirable, but if I'm not mistaken, the goal of this project is a cheap and readily available GUS...?

Reply 507 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j^aws wrote:

^^ Seriously, on paper, it's already the best GUS PnP. I would be more than happy to pick one of these up. Of course, adding more features is desirable, but if I'm not mistaken, the goal of this project is a cheap and readily available GUS...?

Agreed, this card has a lot going on already. I'd much rather have an inexpensive, available GUS than a much costlier solution. Perhaps in the future there could be another design, an Ulra-Super-Duper-GUS "To The Max" "Nothing but RIM" version that incorporates everything everyone would ever want/need. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 509 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thing is ... what features would make sense that can't be put on another standalone/daughterboard card anyways (Adlib/Soundblaster compatibility, MIF-IPC compatible circuits and possibly even SPDIF can be realized on those)?
I know some later GUSes had features like DSPs and add-ons for graphic visualizers ... but seriously, who'd use that?

[Z?]

Reply 510 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ The only one I can think of is SPDIF output, because back then, high-end sound cards had daughter boards for this. Eventually, it became a part of the output stage as standard on modern cards. This would negate fancy DSPs since you can feed to whatever external DSPs you desire, and choose whatever external DACs you desire... But, yeah, even SPDIF could be an add-on extra.

Reply 511 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've checked InterWave datasheet thoroughly for that (that's how the PCSPK_IO was discovered btw), but there is nothing even close to that on the pinout. Apparently InterWave was intended to be a highly integrated all-in-one consumer-class solution, and a non bypassable CS4231-compatible CODEC was integrated on the chip for that purpose and GUS MAX hardware compatibility.
So, if my calculations are correct (c), we won't get any S/PDIF with either some additional onboard components or a daughterboard. Sad but true...
And a WaveBlaster header can be added via a daughterboard with a Vibra chip, for example - and such solution will provide a much more stable and reliable operation (in terms of TSR-free MPU-401 compatibility).

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 512 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So wheee ... just bought myself a virtually new Agilent U1272A (280-500€) with Fluke TL175 leads (~25€) for 70% of the lowest retail price I could find off eBay 😀

[Z?]

Reply 513 of 3172, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Explaining a little.. at the moment I use a CT1770 mainly because it has a waveblaster header (for DB50XG).

If a waveblaster header was available on GUS it would unlock all the other soundblasters for use that don't have a waveblaster header present (awe64 gold for instance).

Plus it would bypass the bugged "hanging note" waveblaster issue that plagues some of these cards.

It would also enable those with only 1 ISA slot to have a wavetable board installed (late p3 motherboards for instance).

Reply 514 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GUS has it's own GM.

If you need a MIDI-DB Header, use another card, design a compatible daughterboard for use with this project or use a motherboard with more ISA slots.

[Z?]

Reply 516 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! Keep us updated 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 519 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a small update - I repopulated the PCA761AW for now (AM78C201AKC & IW78C21M1 had to be resoldered ... didn't want to fiddle with the other GUS PnP for now and having a "pre-prototype" testbed for now). After reprogramming the EEPROM ("PnP-ROM") it's now working as a GUS PnP 512k (used "pnpmap /f gravis.rom" from p20disk3.zip - other programs failed the progress for some reason). Second Reality is still running the credits as I'm typing this comment 😀
Since it already got a bit late I'll see where I can get with the Flash-ROM Marmes sent me tomorrow.

Nice to be back on track 😀

EDIT: appears the Windows Driver and MegaEM can't find the ROM I transplanted - gonna dig into that tomorrow first (turned out the chip I grabbed was the one that may have been dead anyways) ... gonna retransplant the chip that was originally on the card first tomorrow, then check if the custom ROM works.
Did you attempt reading all 3 ROMs marmes?

[Z?]